Guardian

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by RoseGold, Mar 13, 2020.

1. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

I am still a sword and shield guy :)
    Breanna likes this.
  2. Arclite Well-Known Member

By all means use shield and a weapon and to be honest a guard does not feel like a guard w/o that combo but in the current expansion there is little need for a shield in any content. I have used a shield in t2 challenge raids to main tank and frankly i see little to no difference in my defence with or w/o a shield. Not sure what they did with uncontested avoided but feels its broken or switched off.

In solo content, go with more dps so two 1-handed weapons will serve you well.
  3. Airablade Active Member

Been away from the forums for a bit but just caught up on this topic. First thanks AvenElonis for the point my direction. Been playing the guardian for a while now and I really enjoy it. Holy and I have always ran fairly similar AA Trees with personal preferences tossed in to make the play style more unique to us. I did try a few things that Holy had on his spec and the dual wield and have found a marked improvement in DPS on my toon. So thank you Holy for the ideas!!!! So Arclite try different things after you look over several trees and you will find what works best for you. And welcome to the world of the Guards. And if you have any questions feel free to drop me a line anytime.
  4. Holyduke Member

Are you a Geo and a Guardian? Give this a try.

Prep:
    Run Shar Vahl Sweetart snack (1,204.4 crushing, slashing, etc)..get these skills.
    Run Juju Hopling snack auto-attack multiplier 2.44
    Run Hogfish Fricassee food (more auto-attack multiplier 4.5)
    Run Pome Pome dring (more auto-attack multiplier 4.5)

Important spec to have
    : ...assumes you are running the spec I have but pointing out these important ones...
    #1. Max out your DPS and WDB.
    #2. Make sure you have Focused Offensive on so your AOE gets converted to Flurry. You want about 210 flurry so you flurry all the time. Having high Multi Attack is also helpful, Strikethrough 100%, etc
    #3. Make sure you are spec for Vitality to Strength in Prestige, Guardian

#1. Cast Battle Cry X (last 54 seconds) and Hunker Down X (last 50 seconds) so you have about 30% Damage Reduction while the following is going on..you will also get damage reduction from Obsidian Mind II
    #2. Cast Irresistible Force (*allows caster to hit all abilities for maximum damage...includes auto attacks and last for 17 seconds about)
    #3. Cast Terrene Destruction (improves base auto-attack multiplier by 101 in Ancient, last 44 seconds)
    --at this point you are stifled because of Terrene Destruction... but you can cast Shout X while stifled...this will make sure Vitality to Strength keeps running.
    #4. Once Irresistible Force is about to end cast Obsidian Mind II (last 15 seconds Ancient, allows caster to hit for maximum damage...and 10% damage reduction)

Result...watch what happens to your Auto attack damage.

Standing still Primary Weapon 9,393,766 - 12,400,466
    with Vitality to Strength running 14,666,436 - 19,360,780
    with Terrene Destruction running 95,694,240 - 126,323,480

- End result 11 hits ranging from 7,000,000,000 and going up each hit to 15,000,000,000 damage
    ***hitting for Maximum damage.. and with duel weapons.. flurry.. multi attack going off...hitting for 11 times...every 2.4 seconds...
  5. Paragonvii Active Member

Hey friend so another Guardian question (all can chime in). So my health has stopped at 180 mill. I know my toon is only a few months old, but I'm putting some work in lol. What am I missing to get that stacked health? My main is Paragonvii on Antonia Bayle. As always many many thanks for any help.
  6. Melt Actually plays the game

Honestly, just stats. Enhanced vigor works by taking a percentage of the sum of your crit bonus and potency and making it max health percentage, so at 8 points (1.28%) you have about 116k combined, versus someone with 150k potency and 6k crit bonus (reasonably easy stat line these days), you're looking at around a 500% max health difference, which while it doesn't equate directly to 500% more health, it can be quite a difference. For instance, hover over your max health in your stat window and it'll tell you your max health percentage. Mine, with around 170k potency and 7k crit bonus, is at 3600%, give or take, and I'm sitting at around 500m hp on a non-fighter.

Now, the easiest ways to improve that for you is infusing. Most of your gear has minimal deity infusing and no physical infusing. That alone should add a solid 20-25k potency and 1.5k crit bonus. I recently geared a character with junk gear I had lying around and was able to get him to 140k potency and 6k crit bonus without any real grind.

Beyond that, you need a mount with bardings. You'll want a mixture of potency and flat health (not percentage!) bardings to take advantage of enhanced vigor to boost health more.

Oh, and Rank 8 runes. But those are a ridiculous goal to work towards as it's entirely random. Those are another 600% health on their own.
    Paragonvii likes this.
  7. Melt Actually plays the game

That's also a little bit of a deceptive parse as that fight is a maximum of like 3 minutes for a modern raid, and that's all gonna be terrene destruction burst. You won't really maintain that level of DPS, but you also aren't the worst DPS tank in the game. After all, paladins exist...
  8. Holyduke Member

Never claimed to be a SK or Monk...But here is a longer fight...

Debunking the following comment. "That's also a little bit of a deceptive parse as that fight is a maximum of like 3 minutes for a modern raid, and that's all gonna be terrene destruction burst. You won't really maintain that level of DPS, but you also aren't the worst DPS tank in the game. After all, paladins exist..."

[IMG]

[IMG]
  9. Melt Actually plays the game

That's fair, I was mistaken. I kinda want to see what my 10k dpsmod troub would do with Geo...
  10. Paragonvii Active Member

Thank you for this info!! So potency and crit bonus actually increase my health pool? I had zero clue. Time to bump these up. I think that's what I'm missing thank ye =)
  11. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

My current opinion on tanks: (Comments welcome)

Tanking Ability (Aggro) - Zerker > Guardian> Monk/Bruiser > SK/Pally
    Tanking Ability (Survival) - Guardian > Zerker > SK/Pally > Monk/Bruiser
    Tanking Ability (DPS) - Monk > Zerker > SK/Pally/Bruiser > Guardian
  12. Paragonvii Active Member

Another question!! I have two crate/ scroll upgrades, what abilities should I use them on? I think they are celestial (or grandmaster?) upgrades (not sure I haven't opened them yet). What two abilities are best to upgrade?
  13. Priority Well-Known Member

What SK are you basing this off of? I'm just generally interested because afaik, i'm the only SK in a top 11 guild. There may be one with a hidden profile I'm unaware of.
  14. Arclite Well-Known Member

Celestial shout and provoke are very strong choices. They do a lot of damage and generate plenty of hate.
  15. Arclite Well-Known Member

That order is a very general trend. It will depend a whole lot on how the player is equipped/stat wise and their own ability and the setup they run.
  16. Arclite Well-Known Member

I am currently around 600 mil hp on my guard. That fluctuates from 600- 650 mil depending on many factors (gear, adornments, food/drink/AAs and temp adornments. In raids im well over 700 million.

I think i have seen one guard with over 700 mil hp solo buffed. You need to factor in a lot of raid gear and the most important infusions. STAMINA stat being infused on each armor piece will yield you lots of hp. Make sure you plat infuse each gear first, followed by looted infusers + crafted infusers and eventually spend money to get the legendary/fabled and celestical infusers from the marketplace. The boost is huge. At the start of BoL i recall max infusing every item i had from solo stuff and my hp just went up and up as i changed/refused better gear each time.

So in summary, ear + infused gear are the main thing for hp.
  17. Airablade Active Member

I am currently running around 735.9 mil health solo with temps on. Raid buffed I am over 800 mil. A lot will depend on many factors:

1. Stats: Use that Enhanced Vigor AA trait and boost your Crit Bonus and Potency up as high as you can.
    2. Adorns/Runes: Where you don't have other stats filled in use Adornment of Health (best I know of is the Empyral)
    3. Temp adorns: I currently use 8 of the Maintained Voidpiercer's Coating and 1 Maintained Voidpiercer's Coating (2H)
    4. Mount: Max level your mount because the Barding of Health will be a friend. I have also unlocked all the barding slots at the bottom. Make sure you use the best Bardings you can get there also. I found I wasn't using the best the other day and picked up an additional 3.2 mil health.
    5. Gear: I am obviously raid geared and fully infused. As was stated in another post make sure you plat infuse (physical layer) first then do your infusers next (use the 20/25/whatever before the 100), then if you have any from the cobalt crates use those last.

These are just a few things you can do, but my play style is different from like Holyguardian. I am not MT and do a lot of trash pulls in raid as the OT. Feel free to look me over on EQ2Wire (https://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/463858576847)
  18. Arclite Well-Known Member

By the way your dps mod is way too low and a guard on trash pull?? Guards should be running the show ;).
    Priority likes this.
  19. Holyduke Member

...Everyone knows this to be a fact. ;)
  20. Airablade Active Member

yeah but I have other peeps that have cried and I try to keep the peace. I am looking over new stats now trying to make a few more changes.