Guardian vs Berserker

Discussion in 'Berserker' started by ARCHIVED-Fundinn, Nov 20, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Fundinn Guest

I (like most warriors) was ambivalent about whether to become a guardian or berserker. I finally just chose berserker to be original (there are like 50+ guardians on my server and only about 10 or less berserkers). I trusted that SOE would make the classes all balanced like they said they would. Believe me, they kept their promise. If you can't decide which subclass to choose, I would recommend you go guardian if you want to be the main tank in EVERY situation. Berserkers can tank when there isn't a guardian in the group (and can do it just fine), but we shine when we don't have to tank. It's crazy how much damage I do when I turn on Blood Rage. It costs about 175 health, but that is so minute compared to the damage it unleashes on groups of mobs. We have abilities for when we are tanking and when we aren't. Turn on Blood Rage or Bloodlust when your not tanking and you'll do massive (and I do mean massive) damage. Turn on Fury when you are tanking and you'll have a chance to attack back every time your hit.
    So far, I love being a berserker. Lot's of people don't understand the berserker subclass, but once they see you in action, if they have any sense, they'll look for you for each subsequent group they make. If you want to be the main tank in lvl 50 raids, go guardian, but if you want some variety, go berserker.
  2. ARCHIVED-Davilan77 Guest

very nice post. Ive read many on both and was undecided until now. My 2 real life buddies I always group with every time Im on are a shaman and an enchanter. I obviously went tank over the wizzy so we can be a decent group all the time. So my thoughts about both warrior subclasses were always up in the air. But now I know IM going Zerk cause with the shaman buffs, I will be able to do mass dmg and be a good tank :smileyhappy:
    Message Edited by Davilan77 on 11-21-2004 01:17 AM
  3. ARCHIVED-Dashel Guest

Good post.

Would it be fair to say Guardian and Berserker are identical except for the skills each receives? Meaning assuming we were the same level and had the same equipment we would have the same HP/AC/Atk ?

This is certainly how it seems, and I'm fine with that.
  4. ARCHIVED-Penpal Guest

ah this post did help me much

but 2 questions left:

1. what are the fun spells/abilities of Guardian and Berserker at level 20?
    Please post First Hand Experience, how is the graphic and what does it do to you?
    i hope guardian can shapeshift into a stone or his skin turns to stone
    and i hope berserker goes beserk somehow, goes postal ^^^with much impressive graohics
    but i dont know so please tell me

2. if i am a berserker, do you think i will get fewer invites at later levels because you can argument that fighters role is to tank and damage is the wizards job. on the other and there are always more than just a wizard as damagedealers in a group (otherwise wizard would have aggro all the time hehe) and because of moderate tanking abilities a berserker is a good option to a party as 2nd damagedealers? or do scouts take our place in partys, with backstabbing /stealth damage and opportunities etc
  5. ARCHIVED-Penpal Guest

oh important question

do the graphics of attacks differ?
    does a berserker got wild looking attacks full of rage ?
    and a guardian normal ones or do both got same
  6. ARCHIVED-Khalad Guest

zerkers fist glows firery, guardians glows blueish

Both are useless, annoying and add to lag

at level 40 the guardian can turn into a golem, the zerker a bear, graphical changes only as far as i know
    Message Edited by Khalad on 11-21-2004 08:22 PM
  7. ARCHIVED-Ologvrakrur Guest

this is what i got out of all i seen.
    if u want to be the maintank in the group and do normal (now very high dmg) dmg and have small problems with solohunting u shall pick guardian.
    but if u want to be good at everything but not very good tank u shall pick berserker.
    is that rigth?
  8. ARCHIVED-Slayer505 Guest

Zerkers tank just fine. With Fury up (it's conc based) every time you're hit you have a chance to go berserk which increases your damage, and increases both the speed of your attacks and the recharge time. The berserk state lasts about fifteen seconds, but there seems to be a roughly 50% chance it'll go off any time you take damage (including spells, not just melee, as well as every tick on a DoT). It says in the description that berserk increases damage and reduces defense, but I honestly notice no difference in defense when I go berserk. I've done it with both the character sheet and skill list up and saw no difference in AC or Defense skill either one when berserk goes off. I do notice I use alot of power though because the high recharge time on powers makes me want to spam like crazy, but mobs go down FAST.

I'm main tank for my guild and my tactic is to shout an encounter then turn on Hold the Line and not even Rangers can get aggro off me. Considering we can wear any armor and use any weapon except Brawler weapons, the only thing that would make a Guardian a better tank would be the defensive abilities guardians get post-20. We still will tank better then most other tanks and also do more damage. I really don't see the downside of being a Berserker at all. Let everyone be Guardians and Pallies though, I really have no desire for us to become the FOTM :)
  9. ARCHIVED-Karma187 Guest

If you're being main tank, use Soldiers stance, it off-sets the penalty from focus rage nicely, and you tank like a Rock.
  10. ARCHIVED-LumpyDoo Guest

When I MT I do the following every single pull: As puller gets close, I use Call to Arms (produces lots of tasty aggro), then I range taunt the closest mob, AoE taunt when they get in range, and then start with a Shield Stun, Kick, AoE dmg. I do the shield stun and kick right away to keep myself from taking so much initial damage. Then it's business as usual as far as the rest of the fight goes.

I did some limited (and painful for this poor druid in our group) testing last night and did not use Rallying Cry, and I lost aggro on the non-engaged mobs a few times. With Rally Cry, no problems. So use this skill, it really does help a lot.
  11. ARCHIVED-Karma187 Guest

yes all our aoe buffs are like mini taunts, since buffs are considered helpful, they go twards hate in combat
  12. ARCHIVED-Ritmo Guest

Ok seriously, the BIGGEST MISCONCEPTION of berserkers going on right now is that we only tank "ok", this is absolutely false. Berserkers make incredible tanks, i know because im main tank and always picked to be the main tank over everyone else in my groups. Berserkers create huge amounts of aggro, whether you know this or not, going berserk itself creates aggro because its a self buff. Turning on Blood rage with a multi pull, group buffs, ae taunt, HTL, there is no getting anything off of me. When Crazed Swing procs (and it procs OFTEN) things die and they die fast.
    Also, Crazed Swing outdamages everyone in my groups by miles. I have Adept1, and consistently hitting for doubles, triples, and sometimes quad procs of 127-140 a hit.. on every target, or I just use it on a single mob. If you are in a mezzing group, pull the engaged target away if you want to use Blood Rage, but I guaran-friggin-tee you that you are going to outdamage everyone in the group with that skill alone plus a good weapon.

Very few people understand the nature of the zerk, we are much more powerful than people beleive and can see. its one of those classes where you HAVE to play it right or you fill the stereotypes.
  13. ARCHIVED-LumpyDoo Guest

Where did yo uget Blood Rage Adept 1 you dawg!!??
  14. ARCHIVED-Slayer505 Guest

I have Blood Rage Adept 1, but I only just made 20 so I can't use it yet. Dropped in Stormhold I believe.
  15. ARCHIVED-LumpyDoo Guest

You sell to me now!!! :)

Maybe I'll run a Stormhold group tonight. I need to start working on upgrading my skills.. most are App2 with some 3's, and maybe 2 adepts.. :(
  16. ARCHIVED-Ritmo Guest

Hehe yep I got mine in Stronghold doing my armor quests. Seriously ups the power of Blood Rage.
  17. ARCHIVED-Nuvian Guest

just made 21 myself and just got this skill,it rox,but i had a question,does the Crazed Swing proc more often if u use faster dual wield weps?using a 2 hander atm when not tanking so was wondering if it would proc more if i used dual wield,but when not tanking i take aggro off tank 2 fast when the proc goes off,is that cause it generates so much aggro or cause the tank isnt doing hes job right?
    and 1 last question,if im not mistaken i read somewhere that warriors can repair thier equipment out in the battle field,did that happen or what?havent seen any skills that have anything to do with equip repair.
  18. ARCHIVED-LumpyDoo Guest

Well, here's "my" interpretation. It has a chance to proc, a CHANCE. So.. if you swing 2 times every 1.2 seconds versus once every 2.0 or 2.... which do you think would proc more?
  19. ARCHIVED-Bubjub Guest

the proc could work like poisons do and have a chance to go off at the beginning of every combat round twice
  20. ARCHIVED-Ritmo Guest

From my varied experience, I proc evenly with a 2hander or with dual wielded weapons. Im not sure if the game adds bonus chance to proc on 2handers, or if the proc is only counted on the round of combat (not both weapons) or what. But I proc OFTEN with a 2.0 speed steel lance in my 20s. WHen I say often, its not rare for me to get doubles and triples in a row. Why? Because EVEN THE CRAZED SWING counts as a hit with a chance to proc.

I will do some testing tonight since i am doing the 5th armor quest tonight, will let you guys know what I find.