Guardian Expertise AA - Block

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Keldo, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Keldo Member

Hello everyone,

TLE player here.

Question about the AA from the Guardian tree - "Block." I see the tooltip on it says "dispelled when target successfully blocks an attack."

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Block_(Guardian)

Does this mean that the ability only actually gives you one block? If yes, what is the point, given that Guardians have the ability to get so much innate Block from the Bash Focus + Armored AAs? I'm currently level 62 and am sitting at well over 100% block chance already following a shield bash.

I'm not trying to trash the ability by any means, I'm just hoping I'm misreading the ability or am missing some kind of inherent usefulness.
  2. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

Block chance is what shield effectiveness used to be, so its actually just a multiplier for you protection.

Protection gives the caster uncontested block.

So if you start out with 1000 protection on a shield 100% block chance makes that 2000 protection.

This is just a guaranteed block, it's super useful.

If you go into ACT you can check your avoidance report and see how many blocks you are getting down to a percentage and how many you got in one fight. Uncontested block caps at 70%.
  3. Ogdinmar Active Member

First, Block Chance on items or AA is a stat that adds to the ability to block regularly and uncontested. Neither can equal 100% of the time. Iirc 70% is the cut off. Your shield does matter. What was said above is correct about the protection on your shield determine the effect on your avoidance counter from block chance and overall avoid is true.

The ability you are talking about is a one time 100% block a physical attack. guaranteed. Then it is down for 30sec (at max reuse). You also cannot cast any CAs while under the influence of that temp or it goes away, much like Dragoon's Reflexes. The ability itself is nice (not so much at the 100+ content, but was great back in the older content, so on fallen gate its a great tool. especially for only one AA point.
  4. Keldo Member

Good to know gentlemen, thank you. It is bizarre that "Block Chance %" doesn't actually represent the probability of blocking, but I digress.
  5. Arclite Well-Known Member

This.

If you are able to work out how shield protection/contested/uncontested block factors into overall avoidance stat than you probably have managed to figure out which most likely no devs at this point in game knows about.

It also has an non-direct aoe block as well. It used to be very effective and good a long time ago when you had to joust/block physical AEs, especially if when you were not tanking.

I am assuming on FG, its old tier content with old mechanics so it is definitely worth getting.

On live, iirc, although always active in AAs, i hardly if ever gave it priority after Tears of Veeshan expansion.
  6. Skadad Member

protection gives uncontested block, ie a 1000 prot shield gives you about 10%, then block chance 100% would increase it to 20% uncontested block more or less? I always thought. Unless brawler who have a completely diff formula.