GU 114: Showdown at Diaku Corral

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

There's a big difference between adding some fun or silly mounts for fun and flair, and adding an entire game update with a wild-west theme (already out of character for Norrath and Luclin's setting) for a race of Ogres who were created by the God of War, originated from the Plane of War, and are stranded on Luclin carrying out their god's will because they were born and bred for war and want to see nothing more than the complete destruction of everyone and everything in the name of the God of War.

The real question is am I *SUPPOSED* to take this seriously? If the devs said this is all in good fun and isn't supposed to be a big part of this game- this franchise's- great story and worldbuiling, then great! Yes, I do take these things seriously. Norrath's worldbuilding has been a part of me since 1999.

I wouldn't have any issue if an actual wild-west themed area was naturally introduced with an expansion in the future, but this just seems forced. "Hey, let's take these destructive war-bred warriors and have some of them go off and relax with cowboy hats."
    SolarFaire and Pixistik like this.
  2. Bludd Well-Known Member

yes:cool:
    SolarFaire, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  3. Raff Well-Known Member

The fact that you even considering it this seriously...is pretty damn funny.

EQ2 is a video game. Not a historical treatise.
    Jaeded, SolarFaire, Cyrrena and 2 others like this.
  4. Ratala Active Member

I'm all for it if we can keep our cowboy hats and boots. If not, may the decision maker forever clean up horse biscuits.

Oh yes, can we also have the Blues Brother's singing Rawhide in this magical place? No one sings that song better.
  5. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Gamers take their games seriously. Who knew?
    SolarFaire likes this.
  6. Bhayar Well-Known Member

FYI, this is not the first time a Wild West theme has appeared in an fantasy based MMO. Rift did it years ago for an entire zone. A little fun to break up the monotony isn't a bad idea. It's not like Peter Jackson is filming the next iteration of Tolkien's work and calling it the, "The Walking Elves," about how the elves are now zombies walking the lands, haha.
    SolarFaire, Rosyposy and Cyrrena like this.
  7. Bludd Well-Known Member

too seriously sometimes
    SolarFaire, Cyrrena and Raff like this.
  8. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

There are definitely lore reasons for this very specific group of Diaku (not the whole race), to do what they are doing in the update.
  9. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Well, on EQ1, 'Shadows of Luclin' introduced alien-type NPCs/models (i.e. "Grey alien" model):

[IMG]

[IMG]

Veil of Alaris (continent full of aliens):

[IMG]

I think EQ2 is fortunate that the devs did not focus on aliens for Blood of Luclin. There was an EQ1 expansion where they discovered a whole continent full of aliens (Veil of Alaris) and let's just say it is not the people's favorite expansion. Lol. Aliens are definite lore killers IMO and the EQ1/EQ2 team learned their lesson.

I personally would have preferred a Mad Max theme in place of Diaku Corral but they'd likely run into copyright issues.
    SolarFaire likes this.
  10. Bludd Well-Known Member

the aliens are the tegi in Eq2
  11. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Bravo Dreamweaver!!!
    SolarFaire, Rosyposy and Breanna like this.
  12. Svenone Well-Known Member

13. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

UO brought Samurai into Britannia, those were definite lore killers. I was on my tamer riding my pure black nightmare, toting a pure White Wyrm behind me and run into a Samurai. I was out in search of a pure Black Dragon to tame and run into a Samurai.

Then we I went home to one of my Towers, I found that someone had placed a Dojo not to far from me, so from my Tower roof, I could see a Dojo. Now those really killed the lore of Britannia!!!
    SolarFaire and Breanna like this.
  14. Myxx <Into Harms Way> Maj'Dul

"If the devs said this is all in good fun and isn't supposed to be a big part of this game- this franchise's- great story and world builing, then great!"

If you listen to Kander's Podcast I believe he said just that.
    It was in the 1st or 2nd one that he talked about watching Blazing Saddles and Spaghetti Westerns for ideas to make this a fun update. I'm sure they aren't turning all of EQ into Wild West Online.The announcement reads like this is a side story with a new area to explore.

Thank you for a fun new area to explore and free items! :)
    SolarFaire, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  15. Naneel Member

Many of the Norrathian deities are "aliens". Example: Rodcet Nife looks like a giant Area 51 alien in a toga. His temple was his spaceship and looks like a flying saucer and the lore talks about the conflict that he had with Bertox that existed before they even came to Norrath. (I used to contribute to the lore forums quite a bit back in the day before Vhalen departed)

[IMG]
  16. Bludd Well-Known Member

yes but i didnt want to dive down that rabbithole too much. blues brothers one is the most well known i would argue
    Cyrrena and SolarFaire like this.
  17. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Yeah, Rodcet Nife and his flying saucer Temple of Life have existed since EQ started, and I never put any question into the existence of the Grol Baku and the Tegi that exist on Luclin. They were introduced naturally when Luclin was introduced to EQ, and the lore for traveling to the moon had already been established in the backstory with the Combine, so it wasn't anything out of left field back then either.
    Cyrrena, SolarFaire and Tkia like this.
  18. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Yes, I am aware of Rodcet Nife and the flying saucer. Ultimately, there was probably controversy over the inclusion of a flying saucer during vanilla EQ. It was also a conscious decision to include alien races rather than omitting them in Shadows of Luclin. The contention that the "wild west" is more left field than aliens is tenuous at best. In other words, Cusahorn has already been conditioned to accept aliens as a lore element. :)
    SolarFaire likes this.
  19. Argosunited Well-Known Member

And you still can't add the missing spells to game. How many more months do we need to wait for that?
    SolarFaire, Nunja and Tkia like this.
  20. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

Once per account.
    Cyrrena and SolarFaire like this.