GrandMaster spells

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Thand, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Feldon Well-Known Member

Jun'Rah Seer's Crystal is Geocraft as you mentioned. Crystal of Compressed Rage and all the Purple Runes require Adorning ability. As a result, none of these recipes have a Tradeskill level, and thus they appear on the "Level 0" page.

I can run a query to tell me if your character knows any recipes which aren't being shown. I got 0 results. So they're there somewhere, It's just a matter of poking around and finding it. ;)
  2. Loredena Active Member

Ah, thank you! I was filtering on 90+ and I checked every category. Didn't occur to me to filter on level 0 instead. The recipes themselves, when hovered over, all say level 95 (presumably the scribable level). And the Rune:* ones say 475 adorning too. But I suspect the raw data doesn't correspond.
  3. Feldon Well-Known Member

When you're hovering, you're getting the Item hover which is the level needed to equip the item.

EQ2U does not have Recipe hovers.
    Morfydd likes this.
  4. Fippyderpderp New Member

I think having to repurchase or attempt to hunt for the masters a character already has scribed, in order to create the grandmasters, seems a bit illogical from a character viewpoint. If my character already has scribed a master spell, he/she then has that knowledge and should be able to work a grandmaster from that knowledge. I don't mind the thought of requiring the master if the character is creating/crafting the grandmaster spell for another class, as the character then would not have the knowledge already scribed in his/her spell book. Is there no way that can be removed from the ingredients, or have a tome of some kind for sale on a crafting merchant if the character already has the master scribed, as the required rare harvested item is both very rare and very expensive if purchased on the broker?
  5. mouser Well-Known Member

She can do exactly that, no need to farm a master. Just go into your spell book, check upgrades and select the master you want to upgrade to grandmaster. You're character will be using the knowledge of the master she knows to research the grandmaster. Easy Peasy.
    Finora likes this.
  6. Feldon Well-Known Member

The point. I'm afraid you missed it.
    Milliebii likes this.
  7. Finora Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure mouser knows exactly what the person he quoted wants.

The person wants a way for people who are already mastered to make grandmasters easier than people who aren't.

If you could only make grandmasters for yourself, perhaps that wouldn't be a bad thing. However, since grandmasters are tradable then the devs just can't do that without making a real mess of things due to how the crafting system works.
  8. Meirril Well-Known Member

That is the exact reason why gold members purchased expert copies of spells. It cut the research time significantly. Even if they planned on paying SC to get master spells, getting the cheap and easy expert made saved you a lot.

So having the master version of a spell helps you with either buying the GM from the SC market, or researching it. While it isn't going to help you with making a GM spell, well it shouldn't help you. Scribing a spell doesn't work in micro-upgrades. Its an all or nothing and dependent on drops. Adept spells are common. The materials to make expert spells are also common. Masters are rare. Now? GM spells are as rare as the masters that drop. If you think the spellshards are the limiting factor your woefully or willfully ignorant.

So really Feldon, the point. I'm afraid you aren't willing to accept it.
  9. Feldon Well-Known Member

I'm not willing to accept that to go from a Master I've learned to a Grandmaster I have to find another Master.
  10. Meirril Well-Known Member

You don't have to find another master. If you want an incremental upgrade you have to research or spend SC.

If you want to directly go from whatever to GM you need to get the spell crafted. And if you want to go from whatever to Ancient you need to get the drop.

What your upset about is the massive bottleneck in GM spells. Heck, your actually upset by every step in crafting GM spells. What you really wish is that they weren't crafted at all. No components to harvest, or farm for. Just that the GM spells magically appeared.

SC marketplace is over there.

But the devs decided to involve crafters, and instead of making it an absurdly low drop rate where people complained when they got a master spells instead of a much rarer GM spell drop, you instead get a GM spell whenever a master spell drops. After all, spellshards and foundations aren't the limiting factor. Personally I like having crafters involved in the second best spells in the game (again). Its a place we've been rather comfortable with for a long time. Its nice dev decided to continue that for us.
  11. Feldon Well-Known Member

In addition to violating several forum rules, your post is completely inaccurate.

I have a 95 Sage, Jeweler, and Alchemist. I am overjoyed that Grandmasters involve crafters. My major malfunction is requiring players to acquire each master TWICE. It just doesn't make any sense.

If they really want to make it so that the Master is a component in the recipe, then make it so you can right-click on a spell or CA in your Knowledgebook and "Convert to Spellscroll". It would put the Master in your inventory, and your character would revert back to Expert or whatever quality of spell you had before. Then you now have a tradeable master you can put on the broker or give to a crafter as a component to make your Grandmaster.

But no, you have to get each master TWICE for any master you already have (90-95 and the various 30's 50's and 60's) and the drop rate has been atrocious for the last 2 years.
    Loredena likes this.
  12. Ynnek Well-Known Member

That would almost work, but only if it only worked for people that scribed the Master in the first place. Most folks didn't, since they've been auto-granted for the past 3 years. And allowing them to crank out Master scrolls from their researched spells would just be lame, and defeat the entire mechanic.

And yes, the drop rate was atrocious, but it is no longer so. They're currently quite common.
  13. mouser Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you're not willing to accept it, but that's the way it is.
    Personally, I think that's a Good Thing(tm).

You don't need two masters if you want to go from Apprentice to Grandmaster. You only need two if you first want to scribe a master, then scribe a Grandmaster (which would be pretty silly at this point). If you have _already_ scribed a master, that means you've already gotten benefit from that first master scroll you found in that you've been using a master spell for however long you've had it. So don't complain about that master being "wasted" - it wasn't.

This is a great system. Crafting spells is going to be meaningful again. The best spells aren't going to be only slightly less common than dirt (at least, not for a while anyway). Master scrolls will still be used by FTP players (who can't scribe Grandmasters), so they should still hold their value fairly well.

I think I got the point of what you were saying quite clearly. You want Grandmaster spells, but you think you should be exempt from the work of getting a master scroll to make it because you already scribed a Master in the past. What you did in the past doesn't affect the now. If you want a Grandmaster scroll, you need a Master scroll to make it. If you want to "use" your old master, that comes in the form of research - you don't have to take the time to research the Master, since you already have it. All you need to do is research the last step from Master to Grandmaster.
    Loredena likes this.
  14. Meirril Well-Known Member

I actually believe that master spells are going to go up in price, and stay higher than they have been previously. All of the top tier master spells that dropped will get converted to GM spells. It doesn't make any sense to scribe a master spell when for only an additional 1100p you can get it made into a grandmaster. While paying the extra plat is painful, its the kind of painful that you'd have to be stupid to pass up.

I don't think F2Players are going to affect the broker price of masters. Most don't have direct access to a broker, and most of them are dirt poor because of it. Rather than buying master spells to scribe, I see them more as a potential source of masters spells that will go to waste. After all, with 26 classes the chances of you getting a master spell drop for your class are long odds. Factor in that F2Players aren't all that welcome on current content raids the opportunity for them to be in a group with a good chance for the master to find its way into the hands of the correct class drops dramatically. So I see a high potential for masters to get into the hands of F2Players and then rot in their bank.

But for the rest of us, if we get a top tier master spell, somebody will want a GM made from it. If they don't have it mastered already they aren't going to buy two copies. Why would they?
  15. Finora Well-Known Member

I was irritated by this back when I though we actually HAD to have a master scribed in order to scribe a grandmaster. Once I learned that we only had to have a copy of the master spell to use as a component, I no longer had a problem with it.

I very often agree with you, however on this one I just can't.

Think about what you are asking. You are asking for the way spells scrolls work to completely change. You are asking for them basically to become tradable after you've scribed them. Make it so you can get a scroll even if you just researched the master. Even on top of the likely difficulty of changing a 10 year old spell scribing system, you want to make it so a master (or possibly any other level of spell that was scribed) never actually leaves circulation. That is simply a bad idea at the core. If they were ever to make it so you could retrieve your master from your spell book it would absolutely have to be a no-trade thing that was used to commission a grandmaster.

Being a player for 10 years and all mastered up, of course your suggestion would help me, I'd have a much easier time getting my 90-95 spells grandmastered for sure, I don't want to break the system for my convenience though.

Grandmasters are supposed to be hard to get. Getting the master really is the limiting factor.
    Loredena likes this.
  16. Akina_Storms Active Member

the spellshard IS, in fact, the limiting factor.
    in 20h i've found 1, ONE, fundation, in the same-time i found 2 masters.

so yes, you're ignorant, the limiting factor is the borest one.

getting the master is not the limiting factor, at last for the vast majority.
    and they're definitely not hard to get if you're on the good side of hard luck.
    some on my limited crowd server, are fully GM, and luckily they over flood the market with extremely high priced GM component.

the others, who are on my bad side of hard luck, we will be fully mastered in 4 years and 2 month, or if there're other raises in level, will never be fully GMed.
  17. Feldon Well-Known Member

The way spell scrolls work HAS changed.

Previously, Adept and Master spells were mob drops, while Apprentice and Expert spells used standard rares.

Grandmasters use a Master spell as a component, plus a bunch of other standard rares, plus another super rare rare, plus, plus, plus. They're already way out in left field and different from everything else to do with spells, so having you "break off" a master off a character and reuse it in a spell recipe is not actually that farfetched. Alas I know it will never happen.

I know I'm not going to win this battle and the EQ2 team want grandmasters (and Master III's aka Ancients) to be hella rare. And I'm not usually one to use the word hella. lol
    Filly67 likes this.
  18. Finora Well-Known Member

That doesn't actually change how scribing spells work though Feldon. I imagine making it so grandmasters use a master as a component was as easy as making a new recipe & flagging which items it requires as components. What you were asking for is for scribing to also work backwards. Being able to unscribe spells, which honestly sounds a bit more complex than making new recipes.

I've yet to see a master spell drop in TOV, but I'll be honest in saying I've not played my 95s much lately outside of beta. I sincerely hope I am wrong about the drop rate and the increase makes them more available.
  19. Meirril Well-Known Member

Maybe its only because I'm on AB but from what I've seen on the broker there are plenty of spellshards and foundations available. What has dried up is the supply of high demand master spells, and the price of the 90-95 masters left on the broker have gone up.

Maybe the master spell drop rate has been changed recently, but the last time I was doing nightly ToV runs most nights we didn't see a master spell. They did drop, but it was maybe 1 every 3 days. Between 6 people that isn't saying much. That is like getting two master spells per month per person, and there isn't any reason to believe those spells would be for your class.

While Akina has a horror story, most other people are saying they get a few spellshards and foundations every time they go for a long harvesting run. So most other people would need to harvest for a weekend to be stocked up and waiting for masters to drop.

Even with Akina's less than rosy estimate of 1 every 20 hours of harvesting, and assuming you have at least 10 hours a week to play that would put you at half a month to get 1 foundation and then another 2 weeks to get a master for your class. Considering that there are 26 classes the chances of a master you need dropping into your lap is...low. So your looking at buying components from the broker.

Just like you could of done with the spellshards. And the spells you want first probably cost more than the spellshards. Until the next expansion comes out 90-95 spellshards should continue to decline in price. After it comes out...well...people will be harvesting 96+ so no idea what will happen to the prismatic market then.
  20. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, how long ago was 'last time I was doing nightly ToV runs''? Was it before they changed the drop rate?

I ask, because I see post, after post, after post (not from you), that says:

"The drop rate is horrible! (Though I haven't run a zone in months)"
    "The drop rate is horrible! (But I haven't run one since Beta was opened)"
    "The drop rate is horrible! (It's going to take 15,000p to buy them all)"
    etc.. etc.. etc... And I'm getting ready to snap. :p

Yes, the drop rare *was* horrible, nobody can argue against that. Then, when they introduced GMs people pointed out the drop rate was horrible, and they dramatically upped it. The old drop horrible drop rate is somewhat irrelevant.

Currently, it's about 1 per heroic zone in the current expansion. Sometimes 0, sometimes 2. In the last 9 heroic zones, we got 8 Masters. People are reporting similar rates from DoV and CoE zones and farming them successfully. In current fabled raid zones (well, labs, it's all we do), they're about 50% from every chest (5 from our last Labs run). Yes, they still have to be for your class, and you still have to win them. (Well, you shouldn't have competition if they're for your class, but that's a different problem). But they're entering the server at a reasonable rate.

However - they're not necessarily entering the broker at the same rate. There's a lot of hoarding going on. Until we get a handle on spellshard/foundations - most people are packing their masters away in bags and banks. Nobody's sure how fast they'll get their ultra rares, nobody's sure how many they're going to really upgrade, or how many alts - so lots of folks are stashing all their masters until they figure it out. Personally, mine are stashed on the broker at ridiculous prices.
    Meirril likes this.