"Grandfathered" characters (more free stuff!) Official Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community News' started by ARCHIVED-Isulith, Dec 8, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Serelinde Guest

Hirofortis wrote:
    Congratulations. You contributed nothing to the thread. $20.00....IF you have only lower level toons with few unlocks. A lot more if you have a PVP server and a toon at 90. I don't play my 90 for a reason. She has a full set of PVP gear, Raid gear, various gear pieces to unlock. She be expensive.
    If I get to where more outgoing funds fit my budget, maybe I'll play. I notice generally those that are upset are those that don't have much income right now and generally those that defend are clearly those that have plenty. It's really just the haves and have nots. This is par for the course.
    Either way, this thread goes no where anyway and I seriously do not expect that Sony cares or pays much attention to any of its players, as evidenced by a lot of the crazy stuff they've done throughout the last 4+ years. I'll play something else until this game is even viable, if I end up ever deciding that it is.
  2. ARCHIVED-Darkdourden Guest

You probably havent read my post carefully Hirofortis, cause i never said that i dont want to pay anything, all i said is that if they really wanted a "FREE TO PLAY" they shouldnt force us to pay more than someone that pays month by month, for example, i have 3 toons at lvl 90 full fabled, then i decide to come back to the game cause now it's supposed to be "free" but not, you cant use the gear you fighted to obtain and all you can do is pay unlocks or upgrade to gold, Ok from this point now lets take care about tokens to unlock stuff:
    If there is 21 pieces of years in case of my Guardian: Tank stuff + Dps stuff = 42 pieces + resistances gear + some appareance items i have farmed (in a legit way without stealing to anyone something they can really use) lets say 50 pieces to unlock, considering that each token costs 150 SC and 500 is = 5€ (not sure about dollars) means that i have to spend -- 50 pieces * 150 SC = 7500 SC -- without considering the upgrades i could get in the future its = around 60€ + expansions packs velious + (the last one that name i dont remember) lets say 120 - 130€ average in total. And its only considering that i unlock 1 character, unlocking all my characters could be around 200€ to 300€ average in a low range i would say.

So now, can you tell me wheres the trick? ok, i'll tell you, the trick is that they force you to pay monthly something that now its supposed to be "FREE" but it is cause if you dont, you will have to pay way way more than the monthly fee, and with more i mean 14€ *month or around 100€ to 300€ + future unlocks (depending on the account) that could cost you to play a "FREE" game with a gear that permits you do something, it's not free, it's a cruel joke from SoE that shows you "FREE TO PLAY YOUR WAY" in its game like if they where a NGO but they should change it to "(PAY THE) FEE TO PLAY YOUR WAY".

To finish, i never meant that i want to play it free cause im monthly fee hater. I payed it for years until i had to leave and i was happy to pay and as i said i wouldnt mind to pay for expansions and to buy something from market that i really like, but dont call something free when it is NOT.
  3. ARCHIVED-darwich Guest

It IS free to play, you can not say it is not. Before f2p you could not log in or anything..without paying... now with F2P you can log in and do things with no costs.. if you want to do more things, yes there is cost.. but you do not HAVE to do them.. if you want to, then there is additional costs, but there is a portion of the game that is entirely F2P up to 90 minus DOV..AOD... so yes, it IS F2P.
  4. ARCHIVED-akin99 Guest

People need to understand that yes the game is FTP but if you want to be able to play just like you did before you left you will have to pay. You can unlock 5 items for 150SC. so 600 SC in a one time payment lets you equipe one toon.
    I dont know where people get this idea that since the game is FTP I shold be able to do anything that anyone paying customer does for Free. Its not the way FTP works try any FTP game you are limited greatly unless you either subscribe or spend money in Micro transactions.
    EQ2 gives away far more than most of the games do. No FTP MMO is really Free it is just a different way to pay.
  5. ARCHIVED-Finora Guest

akin99 wrote:
    This exactly. F2P is pretty much an extended trial of the game. If you don't pay a sub you can at least log on and do stuff. For example, prior to this I couldn't log in my other account at all unless I wanted to pay a sub. Now I can. That's pretty nice.
    While I imagine it would be a pain to unlock a ton of gear you already had. However, you can get 50 unlockers for the price of a month's sub ($15/1500SC). I fail to see how that is a huge deal. The only thing I see is that on my silver account I will have to upgrade wisely as my characters get higher to avoid spending more than I want to (less than I would be spending on a month's sub else why go free?).
  6. ARCHIVED-Darkdourden Guest

As i can see, not many ppl sees the trick on this F2P, so now think why SoE is deciding to grandfather characters, maybe they not doing that good guys.

I can see that some ppl doesnt know about high end and how hard you need good gear to do be something at that point.

So keep thinking that SoE do everything great and they will keep playing with you and your money as they are doing right now.
  7. ARCHIVED-darwich Guest

Darkdourden wrote:
    we do not see a trick because there isnt a trick... its people that think you shoudl get EVERYTHING free that have a bad perception, nothing is totally free in an F2P game.. your gimme gimme gimme attitude is what the trick is.
  8. ARCHIVED-Darkdourden Guest

darwich mate why dont you read again? maybe the problem is my english but i never said that i dont want to pay for anything. Dont put words that i didnt say homie.
  9. ARCHIVED-darwich Guest

could be the translation, but hey, you should see me try to type in another language... dfkdjfli dfkdjfdkjkd fjdkfdfkdfkjd - why cant you understand me?? :)
  10. ARCHIVED-Aklira Guest

Darkdourden wrote:
    It is free to play because before you wouldn't have been able to even log in without paying. Also this game has far fewer restrictions than other MMOs that are f2p. I think i've played most of them that are out there when I couldn't afford to pay for EQ2.
    You are misrepresenting the amount that it would cost you to unlock 1 high end character's gear. 150sc = 5 unlockers so 150sc x 10 = 50 unlockers. You would need 1500sc to unlock every slot. $5 USD=500sc so unlocking all your gear would be $15 USD which is approximately what you would spend on a 1 month subscription. You then would not have to pay anything more until you need to upgrade your gear which if you're level 90 and have maxxed out your gear you shouldn't need to do. If you haven't maxed out your gear.. pay for one or two months, max it out and then just buy the unlockers. It's not rocket science.. if you are on a tight budget do the math and figure out what you can afford. $15 USD is not a lot for unlocking all the gear on a high-end toon especially since you'll then be able to play without incurring further fees... unless you want to buy something fancy for your home or buy vanity armor from the cash shop.
    It really is free to play your way, they simply didn't mean it in the 'you get everything without paying anything' way that all the greedy whiners have interpreted it to mean. They're a business, businesses need to make money. they are simply trying to follow a new business model that has so far been proven to work and been a lot more generous in what we're getting in the process.
    And before all you trolls hit with me the you must be wealthy blash blah blah stuff. I'm living on umemployment while looking for a new job. My fiance is disabled. I pay for 2 accounts for for us to have a little relaxation. I have to budget my money carefully to make sure we get all our bills paid and still get to eat so don't even go there.
  11. ARCHIVED-Aklira Guest

zokissa wrote:
    Last I knew there were still transfer tokens but I'm not sure of the current cost.
    If they are available on the station cash store (they used to be but I haven't checked recently) you might be able to save a bit of money by waiting for a double or triple sc event to purchase.
  12. ARCHIVED-Darkdourden Guest

It's a pity, i cant Quote what moderators says about grandfathering characters before de F2P, maybe i dont know how to, not very used to post on forums, but if after weeks or months of making this game F2P they have decided to grandfather characters, but theres still ppl that defends that its not fair or something or maybe i dont get it at all.

15USD? expensive no i dont think so, in my position i should be able to afrod that, but since i could play this game for only 2 days per week it doesn't deserve to pay it.

I'd like to know that if SoE decide to definitely remove gold/silver subscription removing the montly fee, keeping market and keep making new exp packs that i would definitely pay. Would you agree or not with that? or would you feel bad because while they keep earning money, (probably enough if not more since free mmorpgs are getting mayor income with microtransactions) your not paying your 15USD - 14€ that makes you feel better with your self?

You should know that what i mention in the previous paragraph is highly probably to happen since the growing mmorpg market, and in my opinion SoE is making a race against this to earn all the money they can before making it this way, so why dont you guys break your mental wall out of the basics of the economy and try to think on it in an other way?

Maybe years ago i would think like you Aklira, i dont mean that im totally right but what i say i think makes sense and is the fairest way for everyone that wants to play this game.
  13. ARCHIVED-akin99 Guest

SOE only wants players who are willing to spend money to play. I dont see why you dont understand this. If they unlock all of your items and toons what incentive do you have to ever pay them any money.
    I know this game is very gear driven basicly the FTP is designed to give you a extended free trial then convince you to subscribe or spend in the cash shop.
    I think a 15-30 day free gold membership for returning players might be nice but really that is about the limit to what they should offer. You can play all the way to 90 in tresured items and adept spells. Now if you want to do DOV yes you will have to buy unlockers or sub that is really to be expected.

Every FTP game has some point where the FTP just no longer works that is by design. SOE doesnt want FTP customers they want and need paying customers.
  14. ARCHIVED-Grimfang Guest

I still think they *** veterans that are returning or dont/didnt want to sub when the game went F2P. Why am I stating that? Well, you see, all that gear you managed to get your hands on, say legendary/fabled. You now somehow magically cannot use that equipment.
    What they should have done was:
    The gear you have amassed BEFORE the game went F2P you can still use, I mean, the veterans DID work hard for that gear.

But oh well, what do I care anyways? I am not playing anymore. But just wanted to went the above.
  15. ARCHIVED-savedx Guest

So hear me out guys. I get an email EQ2 is now f2p and not just f2p "free to play your way". So i log into my account thinking wow i get to play the game ive payed for all these years for free cool. Then the game is done loading poof my character has no gear. How is a game that is so gear oriented going to be played with out gear? Now im not saying that you shouldnt pay for unlocks for future gear that you get but the gear you had on should still be useable for that toon. As far as the money argument im lucky if i have enought money to have internet/gas money let alone paying for a game every month. The main argument im seeing here is how is it sonys fault that you dont have any money? Its not but if you are going to claim that a game is going to be free to play your way using the words they provided. I would assume since you are sending the email to vetrans that the gear they had on at the time they loged out would still be usable by them. The state of the game when i quit was not good to begin with let alone what it probly looks like now with tor. If you want to be a pay to play game then get rid of the silver/bronze subs but being free to play atleast means you should have what you earned before you quit.
  16. ARCHIVED-Sai Guest

savedx wrote:
    Agreed. I stopped playing in 2010. Now I downloaded the game, and I was really happy (almost cried ^_^;), when I saw my good old character on my screen. I loged in, and I was nude, since all my stuff is Fabled (the shard set from the Void) with my old mythical weapon. It's a nice move to make old characters "grandfater", but once I was able to wield these armors and gear, why not now?
    It's a nice move indeed, but not even close to perfect.
  17. ARCHIVED-HotRod Guest

Had my account slip into F2P status and realized even though I bought AoD I can't play my Beastlord because I had to make it after AoD came out, therefore I need to buy a race pack for it. Assuming I ever try F2P I doubt I would bother, all my character slots are full of characters level 50+, and most are tradeskillers (@90). I find it annoying that just because Sony chose to roll them (F2P and AoD) out together I don't get my BM grandfathered.

HR
  18. ARCHIVED-Tuckker Guest

HotRod wrote:
    Beastlord is a Class not a race, as you already know, the rest is self explainitory and no different than if a Karren Guardian switched from Gold to bronze.