"Grandfathered" characters (more free stuff!) Official Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community News' started by ARCHIVED-Isulith, Dec 8, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-BWLeeEllison Guest

urgthock wrote:
    If you'd bothered reading a bit more, you would have seen where someone else tried to make that distinction and I corrected them.
  2. ARCHIVED-urgthock Guest

BWLeeEllison wrote:
    Correct me then.
  3. ARCHIVED-BWLeeEllison Guest

Marnus@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    But I am not asking everyone to stop paying a sub and play the game for free with no restrictions just because at one time they were a subscriber. That makes no sense to me as well. What makes even less sense is to try to enlarge the player base by allowing former players to have all their characters back without the gear they need to carry on as before so that they can be at least moderately happy enough to use the word of mouth advertising technique to help Sony make money from something other than battery sales by encouraging all their friends who refused to pay to play for all these years because they were too cheap to pay for a monthly game. I have a solid game group I would love to bring into EQ2, but given the state of the FTP model they have, I know I will have to exclude at least 3 of them because they hate games with too many microtransactions, especially for important things.
    As I have said on many occasions above, it would be nice to have a way, however slow and tedious it may be, to earn station cash for your account by doing certain things in game. This would ensure that those with no other way to GET station cash have at least that one way to strive to get their unlocks.
  4. ARCHIVED-ratbast Guest

from a financial standpoint, grandfathering without unlocking all current gear seems short sighted. unlocking that gear would only increase their desire to be competitive. forcing them to unlock current gear would be some money sure. but how reluctant would they be to upgrade that item, when they paid $1.50 just to use it? they will unlock their current gear and try to get by. if they had all their gear in the past, they would work on upgrading piece by piece. a much more palletable start, and they would be more enthusiastic about getting relevent gear to boot. locking old gear seems like unnecessary obstacle to SOE getting $PAID$ and hooking returning players on the unlock process. at the very least, it would seem smarter to grant 1 unlock to get them started. just getting ppl into the interface and gradually accepting it is a basic and simple trick to make ppl do things they dont wanna. slowly erode their sense of right and wrong. due to new aod crafting, old gear is losing its relevence from t2 - t9.
  5. ARCHIVED-BWLeeEllison Guest

ratbastard wrote:
    Not everyone can afford to pay for the unlock you seem to hope the current situation will force them to pay for. I have all my old characters at the moment, but most of them no longer are able to use their "current gear". Upgrading to new gear is an unlikely event because I cannot be sure that a new piece I buy will be legal for me to use since I have not unlocked. Even if I had a safe list of what to buy, I couldn't buy it because I cannot use the broker to make any money to buy with, and even if I could I can only have so much money on me (8 plat at the moment). The entire situation has the feel of a shake down. Like a dealer standing at a high school fence line giving away free samples of digital crack, hoping to get you junked out so you'll pay the unlocks.
    Keep my effing gear. See if I care. My guild is at level 62 with 2, possibly 3 people left alive in it. I am the only one willing to give up time levelling it. I cannot level it with pvp. I cannot level it with adventuring writs with naked toons. I will sit in my guild hall probably by myself and level it to 90, however slow that may be. I will not try to get others to come help me in the form of new players for Sony to financially drain so long as I am doomed to play the game without my gear. I cannot afford the unlock, therefor, I will not get the unlock unless and until Sony sees how many people want their old gear back FIRST. I said it before, my current gear is not really worth paying for, but it is better than what I could buy to use right now. If I have to pay cash money for gear, then put the ability to buy the best gear for your current level in as an option. I'll scrounge, beg, and borrow for THAT, but to pay cash money for the crap I currently? eh, no.
  6. ARCHIVED-SOE-MOD-04 Guest

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=500111&post_id=5683938 Removed for trolling
  7. ARCHIVED-BWLeeEllison Guest

Nahdian wrote:
  8. ARCHIVED-Seresta Guest

< Deleted, question solved :) >
  9. ARCHIVED-Slighted Guest

Did you previously have to pay to unlock class/races of characters you copied over from live to F2P?
    If so is this amount being reimbursed?
    I copied over a char of mine back in June 2011 and can't remember if I had to unlcok the class (dirge) or race (wood elf), but would be great to have a refund if I did.
  10. ARCHIVED-Flynnaz Guest

I wish they would have a plan B for character transfers. The 31 day waiting period after reactivating a old live account before I can transfer my main to the Freeport server is frustrating. I know they made this rule because of Plat farmers/hackers, but I should beable to call CS and verify myself. You already have to pay $25.00 to do it. I was a Silver member for two months before this, and started on the free server when it opened. Just like most here I opened my account when EQ2 started. Just my thoughts on a new frustrating rule.
  11. ARCHIVED-simianthief Guest

In all honesty BW has the right of it. They have done a LOT to encourage people back, but for the people with older accounts they haven't quite gone far enough. You're talking about players who have supported this game and company for a LONG time, some of us have been playing online games since Fidonet (look it up kids) and migrated to the internet as fast as it became a thing. We've beta tested UO and EQ (wizards could fly folks...it was fun) and EQII, we've watched the games rise to prominance and drift into a weird awkward relationship (uh, did we go out or something?) and wondered if it was really as much fun as we remember.
    We want to play.
    We want to be here.
    And some of us do not mind spending time and money if we can find it, on the old gal.
    But some of us have no character slots available, some of us can't afford the unlockers for the equipment we USED to have (and trust me, your inventory goes KABOOM when you unatune that stuff). Good luck getting it sorted out and able to play without wanting to stab someone in the eye, much less pick up and play.
    As vets we're not asking for the world, just give us access as we left it, our equipment will need to be replaced and we'll need those unlockers eventually. We'll want new characters and new slots and new mounts and pretty clothes...but for now, we just want to get in and hack it up.
    (and BW, if you can get onto the Guk server PM me here, I'll do my dead level best to help you out brother I might even throw some SC your way when I get it myself. If you have to, start a new account...I know...stupid idea.)
  12. ARCHIVED-BWLeeEllison Guest

simianthief wrote:
    Sadly brother, I am on Nagafen, and that makes the gear situation even more imperative. I can't get out and just adventure a little to get some gear (most of which will be unusuable) without getting it handed to me on a fairly regular basis. The gear I had was adequate to survive an unexpected gank squad most of the time, but I am sorry. If I gotta pay the kind of cash they are wanting for gear unlocks, I'd as soon wait for them to wise up and let you pay for the best gear for your tier. I do not want to pay cash for my old guns. I already spent a ton of in game cash getting and doctoring it up to a usable status. If you really want to help just stay on here with me and help me show Sony they can do better and cash in in the long run by giving the vets their gear back.
  13. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

Slighted wrote:
    Copied characters had the race/class unlocked for THAT character. They did not have the gear unlocked if they went below Gold and they didn't automatically get Silver if they'd been Gold (or a copy) before. So, the grandfathering of exisitng characters is in a similar manner to the copied, but with the added benefit of giving anyone who had an account before automatic Silver.
  14. ARCHIVED-Ilavatar Guest

15. ARCHIVED-BWLeeEllison Guest

Broke is still broke. Put another way, 3 multiplied by 0 is still 0. /sadness
  16. ARCHIVED-BWLeeEllison Guest

I have been following my ex-girlfriend's attempts to get the basic grandfathering so many of us have already received. Like myself, she has been a loyal EQ2 player, shelling out her monthly dues to Sony for TWO accounts (whereas I could only ever afford one). In spite of Sony saying ALL CHARACTERS created before 12/6 this year would be grandfathered, which every one of her characters WERE MADE BEFORE THAT DATE (well before it), they are refusing to grandfather her characters based on some notion that it is just too many characters to unlock for any one person. Well, which is it? Are they going to unlock ALL CHARACTERS as the grandfather clause states, or are they going to "hem and haw" their way out of it just because someone actually has what they feel to be an unfair amount of characters? They said ALL CHARACTERS, so someone at Sony needs to really step up to the plate and do WHAT WAS PROMISED!!!!
  17. ARCHIVED-Myserable Guest

yes not only do i have 2 accounts but i piad station access for BOTH of them so i padi double what many ppl paid for. Now that i am disabled i am not able to maintain that lifestyle but they did say they would unlock all chara well only 5 on each account have been and then when i wanted a certain one they said well you can delete on to get to the one you one what kinda cr ap is that
  18. ARCHIVED-BWLeeEllison Guest

And that is totally unacceptible, given the understanding is all characters created BEFORE 12/6/11.
  19. ARCHIVED-Mystfit Guest

There's two ways of defining unlocked with the game these days:
    1. how many character slots you have access to depending on your subscription plan.
    2. the races/classes that are locked to you because of your subscription plan. (free vs paid)
    If you had station access at one time, you got to make alot of characters, if you're trying to play free, you likely won't be able to play all of them. Depending on your subscription plan you get so many characters....there's some thread on the mathmatics involved in that when they switched to f2p. What types of accounts get what number of character slots. That's one number. Which sounds like 5 in your case, but I can't speak for sure.

Within the parameter of THAT NUMBER OF SLOTS, those characters are all unlocked race/class wise if done before the cut off point. I imagine you'll find ALL your characters have their races and classes unlocked, but not all your character slots are unlocked.

I'm nor familar with the math involved, but you'd need to pursure how many slots are avaialbe to you based on your subscrption plan, that's ow many characters you get. Two different words. They promised all your old characters would have their races and classes unlocked, they did NOT say you'd be able to play all of them if your subscription plan has changed since you made them.
    However, it would be nice to let people order their accounts so they can access the characters they want to play and not delete just to get below a certain threshold in case a person changed their minds and wanted to up their plan and get access to those slots later.
  20. ARCHIVED-BWLeeEllison Guest

The original thread is here http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=510914.
    The specific text in that post to which I am referring is as follows:
    *Every* character that was created before 12/06/2011 at 12:01 am will be grandfathered in without race or class restriction. This means that regardless of your membership level, you will be able to play any character created before 12/6 without paying for race- or class-pack unlocks.
    Please note: I did not highlight the section in green. That was done by Sony. That text is at the heart of the argument I am making for my exgf. SHE DESERVES the same grandfathering every returning player got so that she will "be able to play ANY character created before 12/6". Forget any other unlocks. SHE should have this same level of grandfathering.