GPU Shadows and flicker, disappearing textures

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Naenyn, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Naenyn New Member

Since returning to the game recently after many years of absence, I've noticed that I have a lot of weirdness with GPU Shadows enabled. The biggest one is that textures in the sky disappear in the Pocket Dimension prestige house depending upon the angle of my camera (and, presumably, other locations as well). In other locations, I can also just rotate my camera and cause the shadows to flicker badly or disappear completely. Turning GPU Shadows off causes the textures to reappear, but of course I lose the shadows that provide so much realism to the game .. not to mention the feeling that my character is really walking on the ground and not just floating along.

I've done some research and it would appear that this is a longstanding issue affecting many people. There are many posts about it going back quite a few years.

I've exchanged multiple emails with technical support in an attempt to troubleshoot it from an end user perspective, but have had no luck there. I would be happy to work with anyone to diagnose the issue issue.

A little info about my system:
    Windows 10 Home v2004 w/ latest updates
    EVGA GeForce 1080 TI FE
    Intel Core-i7 5820K
    64GB RAM

Can anyone confirm they're also experiencing this issue? Can anyone at Daybreak acknowledge that there is indeed an issue and comment upon the likelihood of it being addressed?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this post. Assuming this is indeed a larger issue and not just limited to my system, I hope that resolving this issue could improve the game for many players.

Shadows on:
    [IMG]
    Shadows off:[IMG]
    Beneeto, Shalyn90 and Sturmlocke like this.
  2. Naenyn New Member

Tonight, the problem was happening only in first person! Weird!
    [IMG]

Furthermore, once in a while I see weirdness with shadows when highlighting things:
    [IMG]
  3. Naenyn New Member

Perhaps it would help to have actual working links:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Beneeto and Sturmlocke like this.
  4. Naenyn New Member

How about shadows that appear through terrain?
    [IMG]
    Beneeto, Sturmlocke and Breanna like this.
  5. Naenyn New Member

Annnd disappearing across a texture boundary...
    [IMG]
  6. Naenyn New Member

Is that .. seeing through the ground when the glacier's shadow disappears?
    [IMG]
  7. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

i don't know anyone who plays with shadows on just to lower the intensity of the lag caused by graphics.
  8. Naenyn New Member

I'm sad to hear that. I don't understand why this hasn't been worked on. It seems like issues around shadows have existed for a long time.

I can't imagine it being that hard to fix. What would it take to get this prioritized on someone's to-do list over there at DB?
    Shalyn90 and Sturmlocke like this.
  9. Dude Well-Known Member

This is what it would take and so far no one has done it.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...o-show-us-whats-most-important-to-you.590900/
    Shalyn90, Sturmlocke and Breanna like this.