Got my epic 2.0 now what? (warlock)

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Semperfifofum, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

This is long, so I'll put my question up front:
    =======================TLDR===================
    So there is a lot here, with questions peppered throughout. Basically I'm asking, if you play your Warlock regularly, how do you make the best use of the new skills and weapon procs from Epic 2.0?
    ============================================

For reference, this is what I gained:

Void Mastery - 11 fervor short duration (at Master level it's 20 fervor)
    http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Void_Mastery
    ...when using:
    Curse of Void
    Aura of Void*
    Dark Infestation
    Void Contract
    Netherlord
    Netherealm**

*This one I used all the time
    *I use the upgraded one because it is more damage AND an AoE, so I hope the damage of this is buffed to make up for the single target

Draw from the Void - extra damage when hostile spell is cast
    http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Draw_from_the_Void_(Spell)

Awakened Death's Grip
    http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/The_Awakened_Death's_Grip

Which procs:
    When Equipped:
    • On a hostile ability cast this spell has a 15% chance to cast Fuse Reality on target of spell. Lasts for 24.0 seconds.
    • Inflicts 3602 disease damage on targets in Area of Effect
    • Decreases Combat Mitigation of target by 204
    • Cannot be modified except by direct means
    • Increases Ability Doublecast Chance of caster by 3.0%
    • Protects the wearer against destructive planar energies.
    Applies Planar Protection when Activated.
    • Grants protection against destructive planar energies.
    • The casting time of Planar Protection is 3.0 seconds and the reuse time of the spell is 30.0 seconds

Observations ------------------

First I have no illusions that warlock dps can regularly top the parse. Years of playing a warlock will disabuse anyone of that thought. The best of us are always relying on secret buffs, totems, and rising tide to reach respectability, not to mention having ACT and listening for the surge callouts. (Speaking of which, I have only one Powders of Pure Magic and I can't remember which alt has it.) These tricks being trade secrets, people don't tell you... and you end up thinking the class is broken when it actually isn't.

1. I didn't use a lot of the buffs listed in Void Mastery, well not regularly. I used Netherlord when I knew I was casting an ascension skill with a 4 sec cast time and would be standing there doing nothing otherwise. I used Void Contract for power as needed.

2. The fervor buff from Void Mastery does NOT stack. If you cast Netherealm and Void Contract together, you don't get 22 fervor.

3. There are 6 fervor buffs and the fastest recast times (maxed reuse speed) are:
    Curse of Void 5 sec
    Aura of Void 10 sec
    Void Contract 10 sec
    According to this list, the best one to keep the fervor up nearly always is Curse of Void. Finally, a reason to use it. Because the siphon was too weak, I never put any points into improving CoV before. I'm still not convinced I should max it out for a small buff to intelligence. My temporary plan is to macro CoV to many commonly used spells in an attempt to keep it up a lot, and put the other two on my ascension hotbar to cast before an asc skill. The others will be used as normal, I really can't try to recast all 6 exactly when they expire. I'm not a bot.

On second thought, it might be better to put the slower ones on the Asc skill bar because of the recast of the asc skills. Thoughts, anyone?

4. Moving on... Draw from the Void - this is now next to Gift of Bertox because they do the same thing except Draw has an insane recast time of 4+ minutes, with a duration of 12.3 sec. I'm not clear on whether this is a "beneficial" spell or a "hostile" spell, so I'm not sure if the .3 sec is coming from a buff to duration of beneficials, or not. I'm trying to imagine a non-raid scenario where I'm using this spell more than once. Especially since the recast must be 8+ minutes without recast time being maxed.

5. Weapon procs: I have no idea what Planar Protection is or why I would activate that skill. However, I know the next expac has to do with planes (Planes of Power). I find it confusing that they've said we "don't need" the epic 2.0" in order to play PoP, yet here is a skill that's so essential, it is proc'd and you get an at-will activation for it. I'll just upgrade that mentally to "very recommended" then. My experiences with Experts before I had my Epic 2.0 were "brutal" as someone else described it, so I'm not sure it's fair or honest to say that you won't need it for the next expac. Maybe, "you won't need it unless you want to group" would be the honest truth.

6. Another AoE when equipped on another weapon. Singular focus will not help with these. OK so the developers are saying that AoE breaking of strategies is a thing of the past then. Because I can't imagine a raid unequipping their primary and secondary items just so they can use SF the way it was intended. :D

7. Glad to have Combat Mit debuff, but is that a percent? I'm not sure if that really translates to another fervor like stat. ie if you have 300 combat mit debuff, then your damage is multiplied by 300% or some other calculation. I really don't understand this statistic, but I'm always happy to have it because it does improve dps.

8. Can the "when equipped" and "when hostile is cast" proc from ticks of damage on dots? Or does netherlord proc it? Exactly what procs this? Should I just stick to Acid because it's fast recast and so it might proc more?

9. And let's not forget:
    http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Rune_of_the_Celestial
    and
    Ethereal Ravaging http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/1014372272

I don't have the latter yet, but what will happen to that? Will we be keeping an older cloak or such? Since i don't have one I can't tell if it goes on any equipment or just certain ones. I feel the same way toward the anti-stun/stifle purple adorns. Until there is a replacement, I can't imagine I'll switch the equipment they're on. I've already limited it to only anti-stifle and fear. And I'm thinking I'll just swap the fear one in when I need it.But that's too complex for me. That's beyond what I can remember. I mean, unless I'm only playing ONE alt, swapping based on the zone I'm going to will not happen.

Anyway , there is never a moment when people say "Ok before we zone in, swap your adorns... zoning in 1 min." I mean, they should for max optimizing, but they don't, hehe.

Currently I'm playing right-side because it was parsing better with all the buffs that I cast anyway Gift, Aura, etc. I'm pretty sure this doesn't break the right-side / left-side (of the Prestige AA tree) advantages that we each prefer. But maybe I'm missing it.
  2. santargria Well-Known Member

No answer from your questions, but from your title...

Help others get theirs.... Like me LOL

Grats btw on the accomplishment!
    Semperfifofum likes this.
  3. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Crud. I can't edit it anymore. But I noticed finally that grinding KP for that ravaging rune is a waste of time, unless I want it for my scout. It's scout only. Well, back to the PG grind then. LOL My other questions still need some answers though.

I guess the mention in a wizard thread of Ravaging rune was a reference to something else.
    santargria likes this.
  4. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Thank you :) The hardest part was herding the cats so that I could remain in my guild and yet accomplish this with PUG groups. Much of it was soloable, and a couple of times it was duo-able with a healer (the Chardok part). Doing Xalgozian Stronghold Heroic twice was a pain though. The first time, a wizard needed the end mob and I was working on the previous part so I needed the workbench. So that worked out. The last time though, it was hard to plan because you couldn't have two mages wanting the end mob or you'd have to compete for it. Still, it only took two tries so I'm not worried.

Honorable mention to the uber-SK who jumped in and flattened the end mob of Algorithm for me. :) Warms the heart to see an SK rock like that.

Now I can get the bauble for my next one... wonder who it will be?

Anyway, send me a tell and I'll gladly help. :)
    santargria likes this.
  5. Redlight Well-Known Member

You may have time with triple coins active to jump into the Experts and also get gear upgrades along the way, also find a way to get double spell cast to 100% ( i can see you are trying by your casting speed but probably better to reforge out of re use rather than ability mod ) infuse the gear you are unlikely to replace and get spells to the highest tier you can afford,lots of little things add up but I am no expert, Gnoma'
    santargria likes this.
  6. SocialDisease New Member

Curse of darkness=garbage, Draw of the Void spell triggers will top your parse if done right.