Got a pet question

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-Viromage, Dec 1, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Viromage Guest

Ok hit 20 the other night and got the grim app I that comes with 20. Prior to that I used recruit app III and was very happy with it's ability to maintain its self in battle. Using grim app I I am having a hard time seeing it's worth in a group, I mean my recruit could off tank if we got adds but this grim app I is not a tank that is forsure.

So my question is is it worth it to upgrade him (grim) to app III or even Adept I as there are a lot of these forsale or shouls I keep using recruit app III till I can afford grim Adept III? Is Grim Adept I or II worth the upgrade if you do alot of grouping and solo some..

I know there are pleanty of posts about Grim but after reading them they don't really answer my question so thought I would post..
  2. ARCHIVED-Tybertanky Guest

Well to answer your question from my own experience..

Tellurian recruit app3 ..is a great tank for solo..he has a tonne more hps but damage output is less then grimbinder.

Now grimbinder i upgraded the same nihgt i got it to adept1 and he has a great damage output, i have seen him hit for 80+ damage looks like a backstab.

I actually use him for soloing as well..just send him in, and keep him healed..and aggitated.

You will have use for both pets..

Just my opinion.

Tyberious
    Message Edited by Tybertanky on 12-01-2004 07:16 AM
  3. ARCHIVED-Viromage Guest

Ok I want to be sure I understand this so please bare with me.

The Recruit pet is a straight up tank class pet right? So if I am soloing and pet tanking I would want to use the Recruit over the Grim Spellbinder hands down.??

The Grim Spellbinder is a straight up caster (warlock) and is best used in groups unless offtanking is needed then switching to recruit might be best. Am I correct so far?

Ok lastly say I have Adept 3 of both the Grim and the Recruit and I am level 20 is the Adept 3 Grim going to be hmm what is the word I am looking for.. MEAN, is the Grim Adept 3 going to be as mean and hearty a fighter as the lower level Adept 3 Recruit that is a tank? I guess I am abit confused on how much the lvl of spell compared to the type of class plays into the pet durability.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  4. ARCHIVED-IronGnome Guest

To put it simply, you have two types of pets.

Tank pet, and damage pet.

Tank pets, such as recruit, are used mostly for solo.

Damage pets are far weaker but have much higher damage output. These excel in groups.

Your recruit will stop leveling at 22-23, so he will quickly become useless, and you will be forced to use undying adherent (level 24 zombie). At app2 I find it nearly as good as the adept 1 recruit in terms of tankage (can do solo mobs up to yellow, blues he hardly gets hurt). Don't blow a fuse trying to find upgrades... if you see one, great, buy it. If you don't, then just keep on trucking, the app2 will work just fine for it's intended purpose.

My current adept 1 Grim Spellbinder I find extremely valuable... he can out damage me easily against a single target (while I focus on helping him with single target dot and AE dot/blight). He nukes up to 100 and tends to do 3-4 attacks back to back in sequence. For example, he might do: 100/43/32. Then he waits a couple seconds and unleashes another barrage. Pet's nuke damage goes up with every level.

The best part, is all that damage the pet puts out comes from the pet's power pool, effectively giving us two mana pools to draw damage from, and the pet never seems to run out... ever. I usually don't bother with dust blast unless it's an extremely hard target, and just use dot's because my pet's single target damage puts me to shame. :)

The damage on swarm of rats (app3 currently) is also very good. But of course that spell is bugged :(, so until it gets fixed we will just have to make do.
  5. ARCHIVED-TraceDAce Guest

Thanks for those inputs, as soon as I ding I always buy my App 2 spells, if I see a higher upgrade I of course get it. This is my plan thruout the game, of course as EXP slows I might make a hard effort to upgrade my pet as high as I can find. I am not doing to bad in my opinion. Thanks again.