Good Solo Mage?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Nazy, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Nazy Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'm a Ranger main looking for a mage/fighter alt.
    So...
    Is there a good solo Mage? I tried Coercer as my original toon before switching Ranger because of lack of damage. I then raised a Necro to 22 but dropped him because I died so often because my tank pet sucked.
    Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Exotwo likes this.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

To play any kind of mage, you have to have a good sense of humor about being killed a lot. Mages dress in tissue paper, so...

At any rate, the pet-class mages are the easiest, IMHO. The pet tanks for you, while you stand back in your pretty mage robes and nuke.

You DO have to invest in upgrading your pet spells, though. You can't expect good results with just an Apprentice level pet spell. If you will harvest a bit as you travel to accumulate rares (see EQ2 Trader's Corner's Rare Usage Chart for which rares you need per class/tier. Mostly mages use soft metal rares).

To get that rare made into an Expert spell, use /who all sage x 120 -- where X is the low end of your current tier.

If you are flush, shop the broker for Masters of your pet spell. At low levels, you will pretty much use your tank pet, but when you get a little bigger, you're going to want your scout pet mostly.

Also, you can get a mercenary and equip it as well as you can, and level it as you go. A merc will destroy everything up to level 20 or so.
    Breanna and Nazy like this.
  3. Nazy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response! I'll try Illy an invest in spells.
    Exotwo and Breanna like this.