Gold Membership

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Feara, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Taysa Well-Known Member

Welp, you've gone ahead and done it, SoE.

With this change, I will be a "silver" membership. I hope you enjoy me accessing your game and using up server resources when the only thing I will be purchasing from you is a 40 dollar expansion every year.

Hope you can keep the servers alive on 40 bucks a year.

I'm not gonna sit here and complain that you've effectively diminished your entire gold section of the pricing matrix to have very little value (and certainly not enough to add up to 15 bucks a month!). Hey, you're saving me money. Money I could use towards another game. But I sincerely hope you know what you're doing and aren't planning an early grave for your game.

Or perhaps...that's your plan all along...
    Tariya, Ajjantis and Wurm like this.
  2. Wurm Well-Known Member

Thats really not the problem. Yesterday in a group of friend who all pay for gold we discussed this and only 2 of us said they would stay gold. The other 4 said "I don't send people mails all that often, and I hardly ever sell anything on the broker so why should I pay money for it?" So 4 out of 6 people in just one group who aren't going to be putting money into the system to support the game.

And I am sure that same discussion was being had all across the EQ2 servers yesterday.

They really REALLY need to find something AWESOME to make people want to play gold now, or this game is done.

*edit* They also now have to lower the dollar price on Kronos, because while they weren't really worth 17 dollars before, they aren't even worth 14 dollars now due to this change.

So SOE killed two sources of revenue with one stone... thats whats causing the "hissy fits"
    Tariya likes this.
  3. Foretold Well-Known Member

I have many, many toons on my main - gold - account. If I drop to silver, I only get four toons plus the slots I paid for. I'd lose what.... 3 toons? That's one good reason to keep me subbing.

That may be the only reason I keep the main account subbed..

I can't say that I understand this change at all...seems like suicide.
    Tariya and Ajjantis like this.
  4. Wurm Well-Known Member

Not everyone has tons of alts, and can't you just purchase all the extra slots you need? Pay once, play until they turn the lights out.
  5. Malvin Member

I think the bigger question here is why they are making this change for the Silver accounts.. could it be.. possibly that... free to play may not be working out for them? That it's an attempt to get free to play players to actually play. hmmm
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

Pay $15 once (3 x $5) and those three slots are permanently unlocked. One month sub and now you can play all of your toons just like you do now....
  7. Bashem Well-Known Member

How does that work I never heard of being able to have more than what it 4 or 5 chars on free account
  8. Regolas Well-Known Member

I have two accounts and I'm seriously considering dropping both to silver.

I use the broker to sell my crud I pick up but most of it doesn't sell or sells for pittance.

All my toons except my new free Heroic character are max level and I have no desire to have more.

The only reason I stayed gold was because it was cheaper than unlocking 3+ characters gear every few months.

But, I'm kinda reluctant to stop my sub as it's on the 25% discount offers, and I don't want to loose that if they suddenly add more stuff to gold membership. Plus $20 a month for 2 accounts isn't a lot to me, I just don't like throwing money away for nothing.
  9. Regolas Well-Known Member

Just thought. Gold has customer support. That's kinda useful, my bruiser lost all his gear and bags zoning into a BG recently
  10. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Well, if you have had a recurring gold sub up to this point, presumably you have been receiving 500 SC every month. If you have saved that, then for every two months of gold recurring, you've had enough for a free slot. Each character slot costs 1000 SC, so figure however many months you would need to save for that (if you don't already have enough), then either stay as a gold sub for that length of time or save $5/month and only spend $10/month for a slot to unlock however many characters you need at a rate of 1/month.

That probably isn't what Mermut was talking about, but it is an option.
  11. Kraeref Well-Known Member

If soe decided to go this direction they should've gone all the way through then. Make everything available for free. No gold or silver. Just ftp with access to everything. No restrictions whatsoever. But charge for every expantion $90 (real dollars, not SC or some such). For collection expac $120. With no discounts. They can continue to sell fluff on SC market if they want.I believe they want to use this model in EQnext. (Prices are hypothetical but close to what gold sub would pay.)

It should be your software after purchase and you would own your characters. Like in GW. I assume with some other games too.
  12. Stonehart New Member

You can buy character slots, no limit that I know of on the account. I know of someone with silver account and they have 9 toons on it.
  13. Mystfit Well-Known Member

Right, because people who think it's almost a crime that SOE asks for a measly $15 a month for unlimited game access each month is going to happily cough up $90....
    Alenna likes this.
  14. Buggabug Active Member

I'm on the fence with this one. My sub is good until Christmas so I'll wait and see what happens between now and then. If silver is going to be better value then I'll happily change my sub to SC purchases so I can have more seahorses and baby dragons.
  15. Kraeref Well-Known Member

You want this game to keep going you will cough it up. If you don't care and not going to play for a long you won't pay either way.
    It's btw cheaper than to pay $15 for 12 months and for expac where you don't own anything.
  16. Gaealiege Active Member

This change gave me a good hard laugh. Krono speculator tears incoming soon.
    Kraeref likes this.
  17. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure slots are 10.00 each not 5
  18. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

have not paid 15.00 a month for a subscription in over a year, SOE offered a special re-occurring heavily discounted yearly subscription about 13 months ago, took advantage of it and it just auto-renewed at the same price, pay less then 8.00 a month for it.
    Deveryn likes this.
  19. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

funny have sold 8 of them since the announcement without dropping my prices
  20. Detor Active Member

They are probably hoping on the heroic characters on the marketplace to generate more revenue than equipment unlockers did. I have a hard time judging because I already have a lvl95, but I do know if EQ1 offered heroic characters I'd pay $35 to have a high level guy there that has good AAs, good starting equipment, and a mode to make it easy to get used to the UI again. If I'd be willing to do that for EQ1 I imagine there have to be people who have left EQ2 and would pay the same for such a feature here.
    Kurisutaru likes this.