Gliders

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Satyr, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Sinhika Well-Known Member

It won't. When KoS came out on Stormhold, we got the same useless komodo gliders you have. When EoF came out on Stormhold, we could finally quest for the TS pack horse and the raptors--except the raptors couldn't jump. The guy who found that out the hard way when he jumped his raptor off the BB cliffs was not very happy. When RoK came out on Stormhold, they finally enabled gliding and jumping, because they had enabled them in the Race to Trakanon code for no obvious reason.

Then, without a patch note, they stealth-nerfed gliding from all glider mounts part way through SF--right about the time they rolled out FG--obviously to harmonize the code bases. When I protested in the forums and filed petitions about having my mount's functionality destroyed, I was repeatedly given the excuse that "it was never intended to allow gliding" and that it wasn't going to be changed. Uh-huh. Sure. I believe that, like I "believed" that the level 20 city cloaks were nerfed because the sole non-house item quest reward at the end of a long, involved questline was "never intended to have stats".

They're not going to give your gliders the power to glide until DoV comes out. At least you weren't given gliding, only to have it secretly taken away from you again. It's "fun" finding out that your glider suddenly can't glide after you launched it from one of the SF sky islands towards another one...

So, between Fallen Gate's launch completely gutting the population of Stormhold, destroying the guild I enjoyed playing with, and FG's codebase apparently requiring them to take away a mode of transportation I really enjoy and was actively using, (a) I hate Fallen Gate and hope it fails like Stormhold did, and (b) have moved all my toons to Live servers, where stuff more-or-less works. I have learned my lesson--I will never bother with a "special" server again.
    Dude likes this.
  2. Melt Actually plays the game

Nothing in the game requires the cash shop. However, players expectations are the reason for the microtransaction agenda being pushed. It is the fault of the players who buy the goods that they continue to be pushed. It is an issue with the player, not the game.
  3. Zenji Well-Known Member

LOL, Fallen Gate did not kill Stormhold, it was dead long before FG was even announced.

What an exemplary representation of a former Stormhold community member.
    Simparri likes this.
  4. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

they can't remove leaping, or bugger up the bootkickers they intro'd as a gimmick for this server.
  5. BulletCatcher66 Active Member

Nothing in the game should require the cash shop. I'm with you so far. DBG has learned players are willing to pay for things in a cash shop. ok, im still with ya... supply and demand. Ok. An issue with the player? Naahhhh homie.... its an issue for you, and you don't agree with other players being able to make purchases in the cash shop. Sounds personal. But as long as people are willing to pay, it will happen. There are alternatives out there.

:rolleyes:
  6. Fyreflyte Well-Known Member

Just to clear up any misconceptions, leapers and gliders were not part of the "classic" EQ2 experience. In fact, they were not available until a number of years after KoS, when we introduced flying mounts and decided to upgrade our whole transportation system. Because flying was such a huge movement upgrade, we decided to add some intermediate mount upgrades at lower levels. Leapers were initially added as a quest in Butcherblock, and gliders in Tenebrous.
    We haven't currently decided when to unlock gliders on FG, but I would expect them to be no later than Velious, when flying mounts also become available.
    Draknox likes this.
  7. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

okay for this noob, how many xpacs is velious away for gliders? because that's going to dictate how long i play this game. waiting till flying comes out makes them absolutely useless, no one will want the gliders, when they can fly instead... having gliders for sale(since DoF opened, listed under gliders in the MP no less), but only partly usable for looks(they don't work with most mounts like leapers) is a waste of money and a rip off for players who bought them to glide with this xpac.
  8. Fyreflyte Well-Known Member

As I mentioned, we have not decided when we'll unlock gliders. One of the large draws of the TLE server is that they offer a nostalgic play experience in EQ2 "as it used to be". Due to technical constraints, we obviously cannot revert everything back to the exact way it was, but we have tried to preserve as much of the original mechanics as is viable. If there is enough interest, we could unlock gliders during Kos; I suspect, however, that many players will be against the idea, as that would ruin some of the nostalgia.
    It's likely gliders will be enabled before Velious - I only pointed that out as the absolute latest you would expect to see them. Based on our current schedule, that expansion is set to unlock on FG early in 2019.
  9. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

so that begs the question, now, can players get their money back on mounts that are rendered useless for a year or more, and will be probably useless by the time they become viable, if, they come out when flying does? if you're not going to release them within a reasonable amount of time(they've already been on the MP since DoF, almost 2 years before flying comes in). they really shouldn't be able to be quested or sold on the MP. going to disable the leapers as well once we get those too? it's pretty silly to allow leapers from server opening(but disabling it on toons like aerakyn till DoF), but to disable the gliders, when quested gliders become available first on this server.

this is another case of "really wished you had just left things nostalgia, not a mix with RL money involved*.
  10. Dude Well-Known Member

Is that just a rhetorical question since you already know the answer?
    Ceyllynn and Gubba Bump like this.
  11. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

of course.
    Dude likes this.
  12. SmakkUUp Member

Do a mail vote on gliders and mount speed then. It may be nostalgic but only having 12 weeks per expac and nerfed mount speed makes things take longer and we have less time to have the reward.
    Dude and Ceyllynn like this.
  13. Springelf Active Member

Didn't we get gliders with KoS on SH? I recall doing the quests...and not being able to actually use gliders cause I'm a spaz. There is no way I would have bothered with the quest just because.

I get whats being said about nostalgia, but, we started on this server with jumpers....so....doesnt that negate that argument?
    Dude and Ceyllynn like this.
  14. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

they killed nostalgia with the bootkickers/skewer and other things. they've been selling the disabled mounts(a komodo and two squirrels, which cannot be used as appearance for most even) since DoF started. now we have two quested "wind" komodos and the cloud mount. saying we might not be able to use them till flying comes out almost 18 months from now? insane.
    Dude likes this.
  15. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

"One of the large draws of the TLE server is that they offer a nostalgic play experience in EQ2 "as it used to be"."

Yet you already have leapers, so i'm confused why gliders are any different?

I'm sure if you asked the server if they wanted them the response would be to put them in at this point, it's not like leapers, familiars, channelers, and beastlords haven't ruined the nostalgia feel already~
    Snikkety and Ceyllynn like this.
  16. Satyr Well-Known Member

My argument in favour of reintroducing gliders would be that they don't change the play experience in the same way that flying mounts do. Gliders are just a fun diversion more than anything - it's fun to glide between islands in KoS and also in places like Butcherblock, they don't actually change how people play the game or get from point A to point B.
    Snikkety and Ceyllynn like this.
  17. BulletCatcher66 Active Member

What? They literally do change how people get from Point A to Point B. They used to travel there by foot, leapers, ports, bells, spires. Travelling includes all of that, except gliders. You're saying gliders don't change anything, but they literally do.

No to gliders. Praise the devs for not introducing this nonsense yet. (unless its pay to win, then im all for it).

Just because Fallen Gate has a leaper mount doesn't mean we need to scrap all other attempts at nostalgia. Stop asking to trivialize the game please.
  18. Tominator Member

I understand the frustration. Daybreak should add a disclaimer to the cash shop that some items may not work as intended on TLE servers. At the same time, caveat emptor for players buying cash shop items who expect to be able to use them on the TLE server.
  19. Melt Actually plays the game

also, bring back old darklight plzkthx
  20. BulletCatcher66 Active Member

Do you people even attempt to resolve or understand your own problems? This took me a few moments to find. And yes, buyer beware.

https://www.everquest2.com/news/fallen-gate-faq
    DBG did in fact make this information known to players. Its the player who ignore it or don't read it that complain about these things. You all are insatiable.

Leapers were made available at the start of Fallen Gate. Leapers allow a player to jump very high in game. And take no falling damage to boot. So cloud hopping can be done up in KoS and its easier to travel across maps by hopping over walls or other obstacles.

Gliders have not been released. I believe gliders also allow someone to more or less "fly" without being able to gain altitude (I think?)

Thats the major difference I can come up with.