Give it to me straight: How bad is the ability bloat?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by MightyUnclean, Dec 10, 2019.

1. MightyUnclean Member

Hey guys,

I was going to give EQ2 a try a few years ago, but one thing I read about it that turned me off is that there are literally dozens of abilities to use in PvE. I have a minor neurological thing with my hands, so I'm just not sure I could handle things. If I remember correctly, some players had like eight, ten hotbars full of abilities. Has that changed at all? If I play a pure DPS class, how many abilities will I be using on a regular basis? I'd probably mostly be doing solo PvE, maybe some dungeons, maybe some casual raiding eventually.

Thanks for any info!
  2. Flightrisk Well-Known Member

some classes do have a bunch of ability's the troubadour and warden come to mind for me .. but the beast-lord is a class added later in the games life and the ability's are quite manageable . my maxed out beast-lord doesn't even use all her hot bars . once you level enough to get all the combat arts , then its one upgrade per level pretty much. lots of dps . and keep in mind a lot of the ability's can be macro-ed and then they are a single click in the same spot. good luck and hope to see you in game.
  3. MightyUnclean Member

OK, thanks! Beast-lord is primarily a DPS class? They're a pet class, so they're pretty good at soloing PvE content, I guess?
    HadleysHope likes this.
  4. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

Here's the rub.
    A. If you're going to solo PvE - nobody's going to count how many buttons you push or how many hotbars ya got goin on.
    Each class has their "moneymakers" - 3 or 4 abilities that do 70 percent of all outgoing dps. If you pick a dps scout - then you can pretty much use daggerstorm and a couple others and whip wholesale butt (solo pve).

2. Macros are your friend.
    Once ya figure out what you're going to play, some helpful folks will learn ya how to make a macro. Basically, that's stuffing a few abilities to cast just by pushing 1 button. So.. a dps macro might look like this:
    Hotkey 1
    pew
    pew pew
    pew pew
    pew
    pew

So ya mash 1 button on your keyboard - and it runs through the list of pew pew abilities until it casts them all. RInse and repeat as necessary. If you need more macros - they don't cost any extra - so make Hotkey 2.. with more pew pew... or whatever it is you've determined to be important.

The thing about folks who have 10 hotbars full of jibber jabber.... they've probably got every flipping spell / ability on a hot bar... like call to home... summon mount.. bags.. potions.. yet not one macro. So yes, its fully possible to have all 10 hotbars loaded with stuff.. its up to the player to determine what's important to have there.

In the end - live servers do have a free-to-play option, and heck - why not? Check it out. You might like it ;)
    Unayan, Carynn and Dude like this.
  5. MightyUnclean Member

Thank you! For a DPS Scout, what kind of merc would I use? A tank, and then I sit back and and shoot? Or a healer, and I melee? Daggerstorm is sounding like melee! :)
  6. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Use a healer and you melee
    Breanna likes this.
  7. MightyUnclean Member

OK, thanks again.

Guys, how is a beast lord for keeping the button mashing to a minimum?
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

A little more accurately, you push the button, and it will execute up to two spells/combat arts. You push it again, the two that just executed are an cooldown, so it executes the next two.
    Breanna likes this.
  9. jeremiya-AB New Member

As mentioned above you can keep things to a minimum if you sit back and make some macros (or have a friently guildie help you etc). You aren't limited to DPS scouts if you do this, you could run a Mage class similarly and probably some healers.

The idea is you make a button that activates more than one ability so if you have a 5 ability burn cycle instead of having to (let's say) hit alt1 alt2 alt3 etc you just hit alt1 5x.

This is used extensively in EQ 1 as well where the ability bloat is really comedic.

Best of luck to you and hope you join. I kind of understand your situation though in my case it's that my dominant hand has been broken 3x (I'm a mental health RN in an emergency setting) so I also can't cover many hotbars. I can actually tank at like 80% efficiency on my Pali using smart Marco setups but DPS is a lot easier

Best of luck
  10. Shonto Member

Info above is good, but I'd include "/clearallqueuedabilities" without quotes as the last line of pew macros. How they work is to fire the first available (put most efficient/effective pews first) then it jumps to the end. This forces it to be a one ability per click, doesn't confuse ordering by running (or not) stuff at the end, and doesn't stick you with two spells run. Extra clicking in the same spot for more efficiency and flexibility.

Any ability you want to fire without fail when you click it should be macroed in two lines with "/cancel_spellcast" as the first line and the ability as the second so you're not stuck in a long cast from spell X when you suddenly need to touch off spell Y.

Disclaimer: I may have outdated info on the first part, but I think it still holds true.
    Carynn likes this.
  11. Cragfire Well-Known Member

"Give it to be straight"....

Bones: "Shes bloated Jim...", "Damn it, I'm a doctor not a game developer!"...
    Pixistik and Breanna like this.
  12. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Mighty, it's a great game. The difficulty level is what you make it. EQ2 is very doable and enjoyable from a solo/ molo standpoint. If players want to group up for end-game content, that is when the amount of abilities--and how well they are utilized--comes into play.
    Breanna likes this.
  13. Unayan Active Member

I love Pew, Pew, Pew...Pew, Pew.
  14. Kittik Well-Known Member

When you have to macro just to keep from acknowledging there is ability bloat. Then it's bad.
  15. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

We acknowledge it, we're just explaining how most of us work around the problem.