Get ready now for the NOTD contest - early announcement

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by suka, May 1, 2016.

1. suka Well-Known Member

ok early announcement- i just said it in the forums so i might as well say it here. i don't plan to do more than one contest a year. i plan to change my strategy on the prizes now that i have toons and money on every server. however, i do want to tell you some basics.

the only contest i want to run is the NOTD contest. I want minimal rules. i want to see what you can come up with and how innovative you can be. i don't care when you started the house- just don't enter any house you entered before. make sure because i keep a list and will be disqualifying previously entered houses. if you tear it down and republish - change the name.

make sure the name has NOTD in it.

The prizes will not come from the marketplace. they will come from in the game so get ready for that. the main thing you will get in the top two places on EACH server is a showcase. That may take me a couple of months to complete because of the time involved.

one server we have never included before is test. i will be including test - i know there are some awesome houses there.

We will also include the TLE server

do NOT publish pictures of your house before the contest. that is important.

watch for the official announcement in late August. we want to give everyone plenty of time to come up with their houses. no rushing, you don't need to use any layout editors and it doesn't need to be perfect. what it needs to be is imaginative and easy to navigate.

i plan to continue this each year for as long as i can. i will need judges. please note that i never interfere with the judging of houses. i only hand out prizes to those whom the judges pick.

New Edit:

There will be two classifications on each server. You can create one of each.

The theme will be NOTD in any form. Please put NOTD-16 in the title somewhere. You can always rename it after the contest.
    Please make sure there are no more than 40 awards (total) on the house. You can publish for testing and then remove it. However, no house should be or should have been in the hall of fame or should have been published for any length of time. we understand wanting to clean a house out and start over, but if it has more than 50 awards its has already made HOF once. also during the time it is published for the contest, it may accumulate that many and more easily if people are voting on it.

First classification- house.

Any house, any style.

Please list:
    House owner
    Name of house
    Name of decorator
    Size of house (massive, small, etc)
    Server Name

Second classification: Dungeon Maker Dungeon

This is the first game wide chance to decorate a dungeon as a house in this contest. We hope it won't be the last. for more info on creating a house in a dungeon- check out this thread
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ul-server-lengthy-explanation-follows.570286/

There will be no more than three attack mobs in your dungeon. they can not be grouped. they must have their level lowered (an effect object item) to blue. that means no bosses or elites.

you can make flavor mobs (you get 4) and use house actors in dungeons.

you can use any dungeon.

Please list:
    dungeon owner
    type of dungeon
    name of decorator
    server name

Each server will have two winners- best dungeon and best house. this gives you two chances to win.

We will be very careful in choices of winners - no one who wins the house prize will win the dungeon prize. however you will want to enter both so you will have two chances.

The winning houses and dungeons will get the Award for Achievement
    [IMG]

Every participant will receive -A Slimy Cube. If you enter both dungeon and house, you will only receive one of these.

[IMG]

You can thank Kaitheel for his generosity in providing these for us.

I will be doing two articles both in the forums and on facebook with will showcase the winners of houses in one and the winners of dungeons in the other. there will be a third article with pics from each house and each dungeon that entered along with the name of each entry giving credit to each of you for entering.

please post either here or on the facebook event page i have set up: https://www.facebook.com/NOTDcontest

Contest will officially run from Oct1 to Oct 31 and judging will take place the following week. please allow at least a week for judging. awards will be received after the judging is completed.

Edit- July 8 - I was just informed that all judges would get the plushie too. no need to miss out if judging
    Prissetta, Xillean, Valzen and 6 others like this.
  2. suka Well-Known Member

One thing I wanted to add on this. We have been discussing it and we want you to know you have more options. You can use a dungeon instead of a house for your NOTD contest house. Dungeon maker dungeons have 2000 slots and you can make 4 flavor mobs. if you add mobs that are not placeable, please make sure they are lowered level (check the affects for the boxes that lower the level) and no more than three of them. make sure they are not grouped.

using dungeon maker would add to your options for a NOTD house. just like other houses, it must be published and and we will need to know what the listing is in the dungeon maker- the name, the server, what layout you used and who the owner as well as the decorator is
    Merriel likes this.
  3. suka Well-Known Member

if you want to judge the NOTD contest, please pm me.
    Merriel likes this.
  4. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Thank you Suka that gives us all plenty of time
    thank you for including the Public test server and Stormhold.
    Merriel and suka like this.
  5. suka Well-Known Member

added new content - please read from "new edit" down
  6. Merriel Well-Known Member

suka likes this.
  7. suka Well-Known Member

yes same one as on ab. also there is one just like it you get from tradeskill shinies
    Merriel likes this.
  8. suka Well-Known Member

all judges will also get the plushie
    Avahlynn and Merriel like this.
  9. Merriel Well-Known Member

Yeah, the one from tradeskill shinies is actually a pet, which, unfortunately fall to floor level and will not stay on a platform where you put them, as plushies do. That is why I wanted to verify this is indeed the plushie. Thank you for confirming. :)
    suka likes this.
  10. Sinhika Well-Known Member

What does NOTD stand for?
    Merriel likes this.
  11. Spextasy Well-Known Member

Nights of the Dead. AKA Halloween in Norrath. :)
  12. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

Ok. . this one I will do! (as long as the sample posts I did awhile back of Bellatryx's house and the help I needed don't make me forfeit )
    kianne and Merriel like this.
  13. suka Well-Known Member

i try to have very few rules. i don't want anyone to miss out and i don't want anyone to feel they can't enter for any reason. the rules are really guidelines to keep it fair. we wouldn't want someone to enter a house they did for last year's contest or a house that has been up for a long time and already in the hall of fame. you can tell a house that has already won a lot of awards and has been in the hof already. they usually have a lot of awards. we know that if you are just creating a house and maybe it has been published before as something else, will still not have hundreds of awards like one that was up a long time and recycled.

those who only have houses that have been published a long time are encouraged to try a dungeon instead. or to get a cheap inn room or a large city house to decorate.

we wouldn't want you to relinquish and reclaim a house with a marketplace bought expander key on it, but if yours has a lot of awards you wouldn't want to relinquish that anyhow. however, it might be an option if you don't care about losing the awards.

the main thing is to keep it fair and make it easy. so if you have a house with a ton of awards, then no, don't enter that one.

having help on another house won't stop you from entering - just don't enter the same house. do something new.
    Ceyllynn and Merriel like this.
  14. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

2 months til October
  15. suka Well-Known Member

please remember to post on this page the name of your toon and the server they are on, which servers you are willing to judge if you are judging.

if you want to enter, please post all of the info about your house including the name of the toon to get the prizes and the server on this page as well
    Merriel likes this.
  16. suka Well-Known Member

yes- plenty of time to create those places for entering. remember not to publish until the end date
    Merriel likes this.
  17. Spextasy Well-Known Member

What if we enter and happen to win and we've already had a showcase? :oops:
  18. suka Well-Known Member

there are two prizes- one is a plushie which is for each person who participates in any way and the other is an award from the devs. there are two winners per server. the showcase will be on the winning entries. not on the past houses you have done, but on your winning house or dungeon. your entry will be a new house or dungeon so it will not have been showcased before.
  19. suka Well-Known Member

ok a bit more info - at the end of your title or somewhere in your title needs to be this: NOTD16. all houses and dungeons must be published by oct 31. you have until that date to get your entries in. Judging will be the first week in nov.

We need judges on every server. You must be level 20 to judge the dungeon maker places. Each server is treated as an individual contest. if you enter on one server, you can judge on any of the other servers. you can also enter on more than one server.

we are announcing a mini contest for a notd book written by you, the reader. please submit your stories to me by personal message and myself and several other people will choose two books. Each bookwritten will be used by one of the decorators for a house she is creating for the contest. the two winning books will be given to every entrant for their houses.

you will be asked to either make a toon on thurgadin to write in one of the books set in front of her house that she is working on, or to give us permission to copy and paste into a book with your name as author. winners will need to either be able to make a toon by the same name on each server to create books for them, or to allow us to create them with their name as author.

Copies of each book will be given to Ceyarrecks for inclusion in the Norrathian Estate Library on Maj'dul server. We will supply the books for those who choose to write on the different servers.

Those wishing to create books not on the NOTD theme should contact Quiarrah.

this is the post from Quiarrah on facebook concerning her house she is decorating on and the request for the books, which sparked the mini-contest.

You only need to make a good toon on thurgadin to do it - or a heroic toon. you can create your toon in greater fey and then take the bell at the nursery to get to qeynos.

Since this is a mini-contest within a contest - we decided to put it here instead of creating a new thread for it.

You will be considered a participant if you write any books for these and will get the participation prize. Please make sure i know your name and the name of the book you are writing.
  20. Merriel Well-Known Member

Poor Vasciagio...he keeps going to work on his project for this contest, then gets squirreled away to work on a couple projects with Cey and I, hehe. We don't mean to steal him away...it just...kind of happens. :D

I do hope he is able to get his entry done on time. :)
    Ceyllynn, Ocarinah and suka like this.