General Mage stats for Grouping

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Caela, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Caela Well-Known Member

Almost everything I've seen as guides for mages is for raiding. I don't raid any more - but I do group as much as I can - that is my preferred play style. I usually group with a fairly consistent group make up, and pretty much never group with a troub, dirge, or illy. Usually have a coercer. Healers are usually warden and/or inquisitor. Tank is usually a SK or Guardian. Might have a variety of dps classes - usually a choice of ranger, wizard, necro, assassin, beastlord on occasion.

I use a wand, and don't melee up close and personal.

So, I'm trying to figure out what numbers I should strive for. I'm a conjuror, but I figure most mage stats should be the same.

This is what I've come up with, but I think it needs tweaking - my head nearly exploded last night trying to comprehend all this - and I know some guild members probably mentioned some of this stuff last night, but I've slept since then ;)

Stat Target
    Health High as possible
    INT high as possible
    DPS 600
    POT high as possible
    CB high as possible
    CC high as possible
    AM 40 * Potency
    Casting Speed 192
    Reuse 95
    Recovery 68
    Accuracy 20
    Haste 100
    Multi Attack 100
    AE Auto Attack 60
    Resists 150K+

A few questions:

Casting skills? Focus? Disruption, etc? I know they help make my minimum hits bigger - do I just need to get them as high as possible? I'm not sure I can do much more than add a few adornments.

Casting Speed, Reuse, Recovery - I'm guessing those will need to be higher to make up for lack of troub/illy?

Haste, DPS, Multi Attack, AE Auto Attack and Accuracy - are those just for melee, or do they modify the wand ranged attack?

If you happen to click on my sig and look at my toon on EQ2U, I've done some adorning and gear upgrades where I could - I'm waiting on some new jewelry (ears, wrist and symbol). I have not reforged, and realize that I need to do some serious reforging :) But there is a lot of ferrin grinding in my future :)

And even though I don't raid, I still want to be the very best I can be and do whatever I can to achieve that goal.

Thanks for any insight!
  2. Ucala Well-Known Member

illy doesn't really add much to your casting speed (unless you are the one that gets TC).
    magic skills cap at 5*your level (so 500 at 100). you also have these stats

+100 - 2%
    +1000 - 20%
    +2500 - 30%
    +5000 - 40%

These are for stuff that is "over your cap" so in otherwords, you would need 1500 to get the 20% (1k plus 500). and the rest are pretty hard to reach at the moment, could probably reach 3k if you are endgame.
    and yes haste, flurry, and all those other things effect your wand as well.

you said you know you need to reforge so that's good xD also would touch up your AA some if I were you
  3. Ragna Well-Known Member

4. Skullz New Member

Health - about 800k
    Lots of Crit bonus and Pot.
    Crit chance- 900+
    Ability mod - 25000 + , if you can, (700+ pot, i'd go 30k+)
    Restist - 130-150k depending on if your doing hard green zones
    Reuse - 90-100%
    Casting speed - No more then 150 ( returns not worth it in double cast after that)
    Recovery: 25%+ is good
    Int: 8,000 + is good

Those are the main ones.
    Dps, multi, haste doesn't matter much.
    (90 haste, 50multi, 80dps is plenty)

Spend your time in Crit bonus, Pot, and Ability mod. Those are the big 3,

I run a conjy and do 4mil+ dps in grps w/ this set up.
  5. Ucala Well-Known Member

dps, multi, and haste are pretty important
  6. Skullz New Member

Not for mages that want to do high dps
  7. Ucala Well-Known Member

my illy does about 5 mil+ in group zones and he is in raid gear from last expac. I think melee stats are pretty important
    Deveryn and Mermut like this.
  8. Ragna Well-Known Member

The double cast conversion is linear from 100 to 200 so why stop at 150 ? If you think the return from 100 to 150 is worth it, you'll get the same return going from 150 to 200.
  9. Caela Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback - sounds like I'm on target.

Though now I'm all confused about the melee stats...
  10. Ucala Well-Known Member

shouldn't be confused, they are the same as any other stat
  11. Azian Well-Known Member

12. Gnomad_Madgon Active Member

Wand auto attacks is a steady source of DPS. In my opinion it is worth hitting all soft caps if you can maintain a high ability mod as a caster. Then build your ability modifier up to and beyond 25k(how far beyond depending on class and potency), and getting your casting speed up to 200. If you raid eventually the impact of auto attack will decline as your potency spikes very high, but still remain a steady source. Enchanters actually have half the base damage of all other mages using a wand. Playing an Illusionist I still keep my DPS mod at 600, but I would not be as focused on DPS mod if my ability modifier was not as high as it is.

No and Yes

Again I hit all of my soft caps. I re-forge my charms and three pieces of jewelry for 20.5 accuracy. I use one armor purple rune, Arms of Intelligence buff, and two AA abilities to reach 79% AoE auto attack. I raid with a conjurer he provides a raid wide 25% AoE auto attack buff. I find it important to be close to 100% so that auto attacks will trigger procs often. I often swap out the AoE armor purple in raids for single target when needed.

One final comment on Auto attack damage. Invest in an item to change the damage type of your wand based on the damage type that will be de-buffed the most.

Gnomad ~ Crushbone
  13. Ragna Well-Known Member

Thanks for the "official" link , I should have added it in my first post, my bad :(
    But you're still wrong ;).
    Getting +100CS from 100 CS (0 DB bonus) to 200 CS will give you +7.5% DB bonus. If you want another 7.5DB bonus, you'll need 200 more CS to hit 400 .... Not really linear isn't it ?

Code:
    Casting Speed - Doublecast Chance
    100% - 0%
    200% - 7.5%
    400% - 15%
    600% - 22.5%
    800% - 30%
    1100% - 37.5%
  14. Azian Well-Known Member

LOL, clearly you haven't seen me draw a "straight" line. :p

You are, of course, correct. My poorly made point was more that casting speed is still a linear progression after 200 although there is a bend in the line right at 200 with the starting point being 100. This is unlike say, dps mod, where there is a progressive diminishing return. Your point is better so I'll shush now.
    Ragna likes this.
  15. Naneeje Well-Known Member

Skullz said:
    “Not for mages that want to do high dps”

Ucala said:
    "my illy does about 5 mil+ in group zones and he is in raid gear from last expac. I think melee stats are pretty important".

Ucala, this statement is no longer true. Melee stats are not AS important anymore. You get far better benefit from having over 50% doublecast, CB and POT over 900, 200% cast speed, 100% reuse, 100% recovery.
    Your melee stats will not yield anything close, and I mean not even close to what Ranged with high ability mod will yield.

We have tested this over and over and with Unda, TM, Blinding Shock and Chromatic Illusion, just those are netting so much dps on ae fights that you probably don't even need ae auto. But, I do recommend 100% ae auto and 30 WDB so you can maintain over 500k ranged damage to help pad your parse. I can't even begin to tell you how much more dps you will do when you swap out all your gear for even MC gear instead of last expansion's gear... Even the best last expansion gear doesn't hold a candle to this expansion heroic stuff. I just want you to test it. See for yourself how good Mage spec'd dps is over melee spec.
  16. Ucala Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure my statement about how much my toon dps's is still true.
    and the statement that melee stats are important is still true.
    I easily have all other stats in well enough place
  17. Dronk New Member

Sure, 600 dps is a good goal, but it's one of the lowest priorities. And you're spot-on for most of the stats, but since you can't max everything, I tend to break it into levels of importance (remember this is summoner specific)

1)
    Max INT (9k is a good goal in green gear, 12k in raid)
    Max sta (not % max health gear ~11k goal)

2)
    crit chance to 900
    Potency & Crit bonus even-ish
    Ab Mod 25k
    Resists 130k +

3)
    reuse ~100
    casting 200
    recovery ~65
    doublecast 40%+ (get last expac's duality green adorns, that's 6% right there)

4)
    Haste 92 (you will get +25 from Blazing Energy aa)
    MA 117
    Accuracy ~10 (in theory for raid, but I swear this helps everywhere)

5)
    DPS
    Ab Mod to 30k (soulburn, etc)

Note that AE Auto isn't even on my list, but in order to really take advantage of it you'd need to have enough in dps & wdb to make it worth doing so - it'd be like having 100% doublecast but no casting speed. Sure, illy/coercer specs should do this, but conjurors can put those valuable stats towards something else.

Up until a month ago, I was running just fine with 70-90dps - i never reforged out of dps, but I didn't put anything into it either. I'm up to ~200 dps alone, but it was only after I went through the list above. Remember that all (even doublecast soon) casting stats are used by your mage pet, and that makes them more valuable than any melee stats.

In a raid setting my dps is about 2% of my total damage, and this is with triple haste from grp buffs. I'll attach a parse shortly
  18. Dronk New Member

[IMG]

While almost 200k dps for a raid zone isn't bad, it's still only 2% of my dps. Soulburn and EB being so far up the list suggests that putting any spare points in ab mod would be more helpful than any points into any of the melee stats. And yes, that 90% hit rate is with 12% accuracy, I'm really tempted to drop those reforged points for another ~2500 ab mod.
  19. Naneeje Well-Known Member

Ucala, I understand what you are saying, so help me to clarify,
    1. what is your average dps from your auto attack?
    2. what is your WDB at for a standard heroic group.
  20. Dedith Well-Known Member

It is not exactly linear. It's the exact same formula used on the attackspeed to flurry overcap bonus. It used to be much smaller of a return for anything, but it was changed to match the flurry overcap after folks complained. Here's the data points I got directly from Xelgad when he was in IRC after ToV launch. The left number is the casting speed value, while the right is the doublecast bonus.

<Xelgad> 200:7.5
    <Xelgad> 400:15
    <Xelgad> 600:22.5
    <Xelgad> 800:30
    <Xelgad> 1100:37.5

Note, from 200-800 it more or less is linear, but there's another break point at 800+ that shifts it to 7.5 for every 300 points vs the 7.5 for every 200 points prior.