Gemstone recipe books...

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Gharyn, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Estred Well-Known Member

I actually have changed my view on that topic over time. Seeing as I have bought 12 Gems and only had one Crafted for me I have spent 1500 some Etyma, it's not hard I could have started crafting my own. I probably will get the recipe soon after 3/3 is complete on my HP Boots.
  2. Jrral Active Member

They're also intended for people running the hardest group instances on a regular basis. The assumption there is that the guild or regular group you're in will be wanting the gems and will support getting the recipes so they can save vs. buying them from the merchant. Eg., the guild would organize mission runs with the stated goal of converting half the etyma everybody earns into incense to give to the crafter to turn back into etyma so they can buy the recipe, and then the crafter will be available to make the gems for the people who helped get the recipe. The thought's probably also that if you aren't in a regular group or guild willing to support crafters like this, you probably aren't running Temple of Veeshan instances on daily basis and won't have a pressing need for green gems.
    Deveryn likes this.
  3. Mae- Well-Known Member

The incense is heirloom, so your idea for them to trade isn't gonna work.

That being said, everything else you said is right. If you aren't regularly running TOV instances, then the need for a green gem recipe is pretty low.
  4. Azian Well-Known Member

This is why I'm still firmly planted on the fence about buying the recipe. I have 3 adventure characters at 95 (one of which JUST got there so he really doesn't count.) The other two have a combined total of I think 3 potent pieces of gear. So, hrm...am I going to really see the turnaround on the investment? I THINK I will in the long run but...well...that's the long run and I want gems NOW rather than a 650E recipe! :) I suppose i should bite the bullet and do so to help my friends out as well even if my personal break-even point is a ways down the road yet. I do have one other friend that has all three gem recipes. I just hate to have to bother him all the time since the sheer volume of gems will add up over the course of the expansion. (Especially since he won't let me pay him.)
  5. Estred Well-Known Member

3 items means you will craft 9 Gems. Each craft saves 30 Etyma so you would save 270 Etyma for doing so. To "Break even" you have to craft 22 Gems or enough for 7 full 3/3 Potent items and 1 extra. The recipe is for helping others and yourself, it's a bit of a self-less purchase. I would do it to help your friends.
  6. Azian Well-Known Member

Yep. I went ahead and picked it up knowing it will get used plenty over time both by myself and friends. Now I just need the weeklies to refresh again on Thursday so I can begin to rebuild my supply of Etymas and actually make some green gems for myself with this fancy new recipe. :)
    Karrane and Estred like this.