Gemstone recipe books...

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Gharyn, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Gharyn Well-Known Member

... are too expensive, particularly the green.

Now, if the idea is for one person in a guild to buy the books and make gemstones for their guild, then the initial cost of the recipes makes sense, ONLY if the guild shoulders the cost of the recipe. BUT, as it stands right now, one person has to bear the brunt of the initial cost in draconic etymas which isn't fair to the person who buys the recipe.

Perhaps allow etymas to be converted to a tradable but non-refundable currency to buy the recipes with so anyone can contribute to the cost.
  2. Estred Well-Known Member

They come as drops, if your talking the Pearlescant Stoneshard or Shattered Stoneshard ones.
  3. Gharyn Well-Known Member

No, I'm talking about the books you buy to make yellow, blue or green gemstones, not adornmnts, for the new armor that takes such gems.
  4. Estred Well-Known Member

Eh, to me the green one is steep, you have to craft 21 Green Gems to break even. I don't craft my own gems so I guess I really don't have much to offer to this conversation.
  5. Deveryn Well-Known Member

If you're a main crafter in a guild that's going to utilize those, that's probably going to be one of the only recipes you ever get. Other people can pick up the other recipes and pass them on to you, offsetting your own cost.

If you're not in that situation, don't even bother saving for it.
  6. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

All the prices are far too high IMO.

Sure getting one person in guild with them could work, but then when they aren't online, leave guild, or stop playing you have to start over. $OE hasn't discovered the Wal-Mart concept yet that lower prices draw more people.
  7. Deveryn Well-Known Member

It's the price you pay when you have more ways to get the tokens in the first place. If they had considered leaving out a weekly crafting quest from the beginning, prices on everything could be a lot lower.

Let's not forget you can also convert fully gemmed gear into gemstones of the next tier, so it's really only going to cost a lot if you don't keep that other gear around.
  8. Alenna Well-Known Member

and pure adventures have more dailies they can run to get their DEs as well as the collection quests(which pure crafters are gated from being able to take advantage of) adventuring will net more then crafting will now. if hte devs refuse to change the collection to 92+ adventure and crafter then the price is to much for the recipie books.

or are you afraid that those who have both high level adventurers and separate high level crafters have to much of an advantage?
  9. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I'm not afraid of the crafter alt armies because I have my own small group.

The excuse of adventurers having more dailies fails because so much more time needs to be invested in each one. Any perceived advantage is negated by one's own time constraints.

What's done is done and I'm not trying to push for change. I think they can do better next time and maybe not get lost in trying to appease the crafters.
  10. Vladislav Active Member

There were tradeskillers last week advertising green gems for 100 plat. I think the price is fine. ToV has not been out a month yet and we have people with half the recipes learned already.
  11. Quoit New Member

Also making gems for an entire raid force takes a long, long time. Unless I am missing a trick, commission crafting has to be taken to pristine, even though the first bar will make the item, plus you can't mass produce. This makes making 20 or so gems for one person a very time consuming process, with the customer having to trade the draconic incense after every craft.
    This puts a large initial cost burden onto the person that becomes the guild crafter for that item plus a very large time expenditure to craft up all the items.
    Allowing mass production for commission crafting would go a long way to make the initial cost worthwhile
    Karrane and Ranga like this.
  12. Indoctrination Active Member

If you have 9 crafters (which most dedicated crafters seem to), you get the recipe in a little over 2 weeks JUST off the crafter stuff. Factor in the 90ish you can get a day hitting heroics hard, not to mention 6 etyma per collection per alt, it's not that big a deal.
  13. JanEQ Active Member

The issue I'm having as someone who has purchased the green gemstone recipe is that I get bombarded with requests to make green gemstones for the guild and by the time I've finished making gems, all of the guild groups are filled and I don't have a chance to get etymas and gear via heroic groups. Just getting crappy gear from advanced solo zones doesn't cut it for my raid main.

People have commented that they wished they could /tip in etymas and have tried to put extra fuel in the window, but commission crafting doesn't work that way. I don't need plat at this time ... I need etymas to upgrade my own gear (haven't crafted a single green gem for my own use yet).

Makes me want to /exit sometimes.
  14. Mae- Well-Known Member

Don't worry, Jan! I should have the recipe by this weekend, and that should help you out with the workload!
  15. Ranga Active Member

You have two choices, make gems only after you have finished grouping or find a guild that is not full of takers. I guarantee the first method, you will never have to beg for a group ;)
    Kraeref likes this.
  16. Daalilama Well-Known Member

Green gem book recipe for 650 DE is bit pricey...wouldn't mind seeing it dropped by 100 or so but meh highly doubtful.
  17. Estred Well-Known Member

I doubt it, players like myself who have been grinding PvE Content for our Jewelry have probably by now well over 1200 Etyma (I know I have three 3/3 Potent one 2/3 Potent and two 1/3 Potent items). Soon players will have the extra and I bet the rate of commission crafted Deep Green Gemstones will go up.
  18. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Recipe books are fine price wise.
    Got mine within a week of expac launch, with 2 toons doing collections + instances.

Made a good chunk of plat from commissioning greens publicly (Including that which I lost originally buying collections), and saved guild well in excess of 2k etyma so far.

If the prices were low, everyone would complain there was nothing to aim for.
    Deveryn and Estred like this.
  19. Estred Well-Known Member

Thank you, someone who realized that something worth having is worth working for. Real or Digital.
  20. Azian Well-Known Member

I've done the math before but had forgotten. I'll assume this is correct. If so, then one character fully outfitted would be a break even. Anything else is a savings/profit. That's pretty good in my book since I think it's safe to say that most players have more than just one character total that they worry about gearing up. That doesn't even account for guildmates/friends/sales. Yes, 650 is stiff to get to in the first place but I think in the long run you are well off getting the recipe. I suppose you could argue that it's best to know someone else who has the recipe. :p I just hate being dependent on that type of thing over the long haul.