Gearing up solo after long absence

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Master Nala, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Master Nala Member

With some of the changes brought about by CoE, specifically the removal of the plat limit and the solo pathway, I've decided to return to Norrath for awhile. My guild disintegrated a couple of years ago and I haven't been seriously playing since Sentinel's Fate. I do have DoV and the last expansion where I started a beastlord. But I want to start on the newer content with my main Fury who is 90/320. Right now most of my gear is from easy mode Sentinel's Fate raids. I have about 30K health and 25K power.

I don't really know where to start gearing up. I would appreciate any help. I'm silver but have mountains of SC so unlockers are no problem to buy. Thanks in advance.
  2. GabenBison Active Member

I would finish up the DoV solo content and then head over to Withered Lands. The solo content for both Withered Lands and the 2 new Overland zones for CoE are quite high in HP among other things. I don't think you would last long against the mobs in CoE without getting proper gear in Withered Lands. Also do a PUG for contested Skyshrine will help out.
    Master Nala likes this.
  3. Master Nala Member

Thanks for the assist.
  4. Arieste Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you're a "completely solo" player that isn't going to be finding dungeon groups or raiding. Obviously doing those things is the best way to gear out, but if you're looking for a 100% solo path, here is what i suggest:

1. Get yourself a set of "Regular" crafted gear of the highest level you can wear. Shouldn't cost you too much, but will probably be slightly better than whatever old junk you got on.
    2. Start your adventures in Withering Lands. Do ALL the withering lands quests. The XP will be quite terrible and if your gear is really bad, you may very well have some trouble (although really they are solo mobs, so any player should be able to kill them naked). Withering lands will give you a full set of Legendary gear that is slightly below the Heroic instance gear. It'll get your crit chance up, give you adornment slots, etc.
    3. Once you're done withered lands, move into CoE and do those quests. The gear pieces I've seen from those are few and far between, but your WL gear will definintely enable you to be capable of doing these quests.

Finally.. since there is no more plat limit - buy some gear! Seriously. There are easily obtainable Legendary and Fabled items on the broker from the Skyshrine zones. I wouldn't pay more than 100p for anything off broker unless you're just rolling in the dough or really know how good the item is. ALso, there are people selling loot rights to raid gear. Obviously you're not going to buy everything, but a few pieces here and there don't hurt. You may not be able to raid solo, but nothing stops you from making money solo. (oh and don't buy any gear below level 92 off broker ex. mastercrafted - that's the easiest way to tell that gear is Skyshrine - it's 92 vs 90)

Lastly, don't forget about "special" crafting gear. There is the Colossal Reactant rare item that makes good chest pieces for several classes, look it up on broker. There are the Skyshrine "rare" crafting items - heroic tier and raid tier (note that you need 6 of these to get 1 item made, do some research). Prior to CoE, these made some of the VERY BEST gear in the game and (if you have the money) they were quite obtainable. Generally a much better bargain than buying loot rights. Look up (for example) "Drake Fang" (heroic tier) or "Prime Drake Fang" (raid tier) on broker and examine what you can make out of them. (Other rares are: Drakota Eye, Wyvern Stinger, Great Dragon Scale, Dragon Hide, Mangalorian (sp?) Horn, Golem Shard, Golem Core... i may be forgetting some.).

Anyhow.. all that should get you started.
  5. Sucuri Active Member

Do not bother with pricey broker items, or even withered lands for gear - check out the new CoE handcrafted level 90 items, stats have 130 on weapons and some are over 150 on them or so. and the mastercrafted (level 92) is even nicer (you might even find a crafter to experiment on them to make them that much better). The stuff is crazy and dirt cheap to make (handcrafted). It is a full set of armor, jewlery, and weapons that can be made - along with food and drink. The even nicer thing.... free accounts can wear handcrafted and mastercrafted and not have to buy unlockers :D

So skip the painfull withered lands quests that will take you 1-2 days easy and reward very little (the mobs hit hard and have insane hitpoints) and do not waste your money on the skyshrine crafted crap (that would require unlockers) it costs way way way more then the simple crafted items. Finding a friendly crafter on your server to make you said items for a small fee should be very easy as well.

Here is what some of the new CoE crafted stuff looks like -
    Armorer - http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_discoveries/463857162473
    Woodworker - (with new totems) http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_discoveries/463857227105
    Food and Drink (some of them, the lvl 95 made ones last 5 hours or so) http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_discoveries/463857175696
    Weapons - http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_discoveries/463857162562

I know armorer wont make Fury items, but the stats are basicly the same, but leather, its just to give you an idea of what the stats look like. With someone experimenting on each item (up to 5 times) they can make all of these items even better!
    Master Nala likes this.
  6. Pakhet Member

Yeah I wouldn't do WL, given you'd have to unlock the leg gear as a free player. Grab yourself some of the new crafted gear off the broker, no plat limit so you should be OK. :)
  7. Master Nala Member

Wow, thanks much for the great info! :D
  8. Pinktonya New Member

Dungeon finder is pretty much dead on my server. But, if you can get it to pop, you can
    some times get a nice head piece and charms for free...
  9. Regolas Well-Known Member

Those handcrafted and mastercrafted stuff, while ok, is seriously lacking in some stats. The WL gear, for melee anyway, has highish multiattack which really ups your DPS. You go from 100-150MA max as an under 90 to 300-400 MA wearing that gear.