Gathering Goblin Change

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Lodrelhai, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Wellknownmember Active Member

You need 3 points in either goblin or crafting stations to get salvage to open up (so I assume they just broke one of their design goals and it will be fixed).

I'd rather have salvage than crafting stations. So the current situation with it being worth only 1 point breaks the assumption that you can go down either arm of that tree and get your salvage skill. Another simple fix would be to make it "worth 3 points" (or 5) and require 5 points.
  2. Prrasha Well-Known Member

That still doesn't help the perfectly-valid builds of "experimenting + goblin" or "multicrafting + goblin". Making those people respec (losing potions/poisons/temp adorns/buff time/etc) every time is rather unfair. The goblin should still be accessible, like all 2nd-row abilities, to someone completing another column.

I'm lucky that it doesn't really affect me, personally; my provie and woodworker are both lowbie adventurers who lose nothing by respeccing between multicraft and harvesting when neeeded. And I can do all my experimenting on my lowbie-adventurer armorer. But the people who are genuinely affected by this have a legitimate beef.

Making the goblin cost "2" would solve it. Multicrafters and Experimenters could still spend 3+2 in that column to get the goblin. Refiners would still have to buy crafting tables, but it wouldn't cost them any additional points versus what they spent before the goblin change, as they have to spend 15 among the 4 top skills to get there, anyway. 5+(2+3)+5+5.

Swapping the goblin with the tracker would also solve it, but open another can of worms for those oddballs who wanted tracking, but not zero-recast tracking. ;)
  3. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

It *does* require 5 points - that's one of the things being complained about by crafters who only put 1-2 points in the goblin. But those 5 points get only 1 rank in goblin.

I suspect the fix will be to make salvage require 1 rank in goblin or 3 in summoning, but I would much prefer they just revert the whole thing.
    Kittybock, Alenna and Pipsissiwa like this.
  4. Mermut Well-Known Member

Hopefully they remember to count the 1 pt in goblin as '5' towards enough pts for refining too
    Awkk likes this.
  5. Caith Developer

Not quite what is going to happen. Due to the issue with AA profiles not being able to be force cleared, which is what is causing the headaches we're changing the goblin to only cost 1 point total. You will also be able to purchase Salvaging with a single point spent in the Gathering Goblin, or 3 points spent in Summon Crafting Stations.
  6. Prrasha Well-Known Member

So, there's still no way to get the goblin if you're running either of the other two columns to completion?
  7. Ursa Minor Well-Known Member

OK, so to my understanding, the Goblin cost is going to be reduced from 5 points to one point. It will count as one point spent in the tree, and it will open up Salvage for purchase. We will still have to spend 4 points in Summon Stations to get the 15 points in the tree needed to open Refining, (5 harvest + 1 goblin + 4 stations + 5 salvage)

Is that a correct assessment of the proposed change? If so it should make the 'one point in goblin mass producer' crowd happy; they will be getting a fully functional goblin for the same single point that used to get them the gimped goblin. Refiners will get 4 levels of summon stations basically for free with the same 15 points they had in the tree before. I like it if it works like this.
  8. Ursa Minor Well-Known Member

If it's like I said above, Goblin will be obtainable with 4 points, 3 harvesting and 1 goblin. Leaves 21 points for another tree, which can buy one branch all the way up.
  9. Caith Developer

Correct
  10. Awkk Well-Known Member

I would like it better if I did not have to put any points in Crafting Stations, as I will never use them. Ever. If we are getting 4 "free" points, I'd much rather put them towards something I can actually use, like Durability or Success. I would be able to use them every time I craft.

Thanks to Caith for letting us know what is going on. I have to agree with Mermut, tho, and say that I also Hope they remember to count the 1 pt in goblin as '5' towards enough pts for refining too.

Edited to say, looks like that won't be happening, according to posts made while I was composing this one, so..guess I'll have to make a separate build for Salvage and Refine. That will work. Thanks again for letting us know what will be happening.
    Laiina likes this.
  11. Prrasha Well-Known Member

Yup, reading comprehension ftw. Never mind.
  12. Laiina Well-Known Member

Agreed - I never use the crafting stations, so it is basically 4 points wasted. Granted the goblin is only 1 point now, but for me it is the same as if the goblin cost 5 points, since I still need to spend the points.
    Awkk likes this.
  13. Sambril Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good fix overall - thanks Caith for listening to concerns of people with different AA builds.
    Prissetta likes this.
  14. Awkk Well-Known Member

If it turns out that I can fit the Goblin and Mass Production all on the main build, and have a separate one for Salvage and Refine, it will actually work out even better for me than the way it used to be, as I use Mass Production more than Salvage and Refine. Hopefully this helps others others who also don't use Crafting Stations. :)
  15. Pipsissiwa Well-Known Member

I am delighted that the Dev's are addressing this so quickly, and I'm especially grateful for the update from Caith!

It seems that the current solution will be acceptable to most crafters, myself included.

Thank you!
    Prissetta and Kittybock like this.
  16. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update Caith! A much better fix than I hoped for. But will having 1 pt in the goblin still count as 5 towards refining as well?
  17. Prrasha Well-Known Member

No, you'll have to put 4 points in crafting tables to have 15 spent to open up Refining. Which means Refiners have exactly what they had before the change, plus 4 points in crafting tables. A net gain.
  18. Alenna Well-Known Member

never mind just saw what Caith posted looks like it is something that might be ok will wait and see.

Note to self read the whole thread before posting.
  19. Wellknownmember Active Member

The real issue with crafting stations is that they can only be summoned AFTER you've done all the crafting quests that would be simplified if you had that ability... if we had them available after say... level 50, then I'd be all over it in seconds... no more finding one on the broker because I forgot to bring a stove and keg to Moors!

Also, we no longer have raid or any other instances that require you to craft something to progress (as in Sinking Sands....) so even though it's uncool to be a raider and not craft anymore (yey for that), the ability to craft is not used during raiding. Or during HQ's or whatever. The old "granite tomahawk" days are over, and I'd add, sadly.
    NrthnStar5 and Pipsissiwa like this.
  20. Filly67 Well-Known Member

Kind of on topic.... Is it only me or has anyone else seen a drastic decrease in rares from both the pony and the goblin? Not just a bit of a decrease but on the 9 of each that I am sending out quite often I am seeing days go by without any rare return at all. Just wondering if others are noticing this or if I am just having a dry spell.
    Kittybock likes this.