Game crashes even with DirectX 9

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Celestia, Dec 13, 2021.

1. Celestia Well-Known Member

So, I have installed directx9, I have validated my game files, I have the full game installed. I have no idea what I'm doing or not doing to make this game crash. It isn't even my guild hall, in general, I crash - a lot.

Any ideas?
    Twyla likes this.
  2. Tkia Well-Known Member

Any clues? Define 'crash'. The game can 'crash' in a multitude of ways. Any error messages? What exactly are the symptoms of your crashes? Is this a new install or an old one that's suddenly started misbehaving? I'm pretty sure nobody out here has a crystal ball so without any details it's going to be extremely difficlut to make meaningful suggestions.
  3. Celestia Well-Known Member

That’s the thing, sometimes it just closes completely for no reason with no messages and sometimes it gives an error. It’s the same error that most other people get. So I wanna say it is just one thing but it does both. I have a friend that installed direct redistributable but I can’t find the download for that. He said it fixed his problem, but I think we have different ones. It has kind of always crashed, and the whole game is installed. I have a brand new computer though, and it has windows 10. Sorry for the lack of information.
  4. Tkia Well-Known Member

Start by unzipping this into your installation folder: http://eq2wire.com/files/dx9eq2.zip

If the problem persists you'll need to report the exact error message here. There are too many variants for 'the one most people get' to be meaningful.
  5. Celestia Well-Known Member

The next time I get the error message I will copy it. Again sorry for the lack of information I am running on little to no sleep.
  6. Celestia Well-Known Member

Download doesn't work btw, my computer keeps saying it can't be downloaded. I ended up downloading the one my friend used after, so we'll see. I will still copy the error if I get it.
  7. Tkia Well-Known Member

Download is working fine here so something on your system must be blocking it. Error message?
  8. Celestia Well-Known Member

It just says it can't be downloaded securely. Maybe it's an antivirus thing?
  9. Tkia Well-Known Member

Yes, that's your machine interfering. You need to find out how to get it to do as its told.
  10. Celestia Well-Known Member

alright got it, this is going to sound stupid, but do I just put the folder into the general eq2 folder, or copy the files inside the folder to the eq2 folder?

Edit to add, I appreciate your help and patience.
  11. Tkia Well-Known Member

The 'folder' is a zip archive - that's just windows being stupid again. You need to put the 4(?) files from within it into your eq2 folder.
  12. Celestia Well-Known Member

Alright, done. Thanks again so much for your help and being patient with me.