Future Content: A Letter from Director of Development Dave Georgeson

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Airvh Active Member

This does sound very nice. I do think more additions to the Beginning and Middle game areas would be great also for two reasons.
    ONE: The guild I am in gets a lot of the new players to the game. One question that comes up often is. What zone is good for XX level? It would be great to be able to give out something other than the default suggestions.
    TWO: A lot of End-game players do create low level characters just for fun and to do quests, not to level them up.
  2. Naramsin Well-Known Member

My computer is an ASUS K53S laptop/ intel I5 / NVIDIA GeForce 610M / Windows 7. I bought it almost 2 years ago, and have had no other applications crash except with EQ2, and with each new expansion and update the crash frequency increases. It's not just me that this happens with either, as I often hear this happens with other friends of mine too
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. Naramsin Well-Known Member

I agree, and for the additions to the beginning and middle of the game, those quests. zones and dungeons should scale to each player's individual level so as to encourage grouping for higher and lower level toons.
  4. Naramsin Well-Known Member

I would love to see ravens fly in the zones. So far I havent seen any, well just that one that is perched on the Druid Ring in Loping Plains. But I want an attackable mob so my beastlord can tame it and make it his avian warder.

In Veeshan's Peak, those armor pattern drops should have the heirloom tags removed so they can be sold or traded to those other than one's alts. Also any class should be able to redeem any pattern they have. These are from the RoK expansion, which as everyone knows is several expansions old and it is such a waste to have to destroy these patterns just to get more inventory space back.
  5. Leafa Active Member

What a great idea!
  6. Simi New Member

Love it ! Big expansions are what bind it as a whole the story, the new lore and the benefit of exploring, becourse u return to areas for questing. Agree that at first i was fun with the rain of new stuff, but over time the hollow feeling for some areas came, becourse u dident realy knew them, just sort of ran trough them. So we all learned somthing, Ty for listening to us :)
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I blame the art department, frankly, and everyone who keeps demanding more and more realistic art (to the point of not giving EQ3 a chance [EQ3. This game does exist, and I'd like someone official to acknowledge that], simply because of the art, when there's lots more to look at, concern-wise). If we really wanted to be realistic, historically--well, let's just say our 21st century sensibilities would be pretty grossed out by what was really going on back then. Ew (although I guess with gods of healing buzzing in on us from the stars, we'd have a better idea on Norrath what causes diseases and such). :-/

The problem with uber-realistic art, especially with an old game engine, is that each li'l pixel that needs to be accounted for (don't even get me started on rain!) will clog up the best on our ends, at times. I also believe in memory leaks (and fae, and unicorns, and dragons, and other mythical creatures), and think those can't possibly help. :-/

Uwk
    DreadRoberts likes this.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Everquest in general has been pretty notorious about hating on soloers (they've gotten better about it over the years, and the gods know they're no DnD Online :-/); hence, the lack of intuitiveness and the insisting on relying on grouping with veterans. Grouping is fine for them's as like it, but it shouldn't be forced. Yes, this is a Massively Multiplayer game, which means a world is provided for thousands->millions of people to get in and interact with each other--IF THEY WISH TO. No one should be forced to group, or to solo (or molo, or whatever) to be able to enjoy the game in its setting. I love the idea of 3rd party participants, such as the Everquest Wiki page and Allakhazam; not everyone plays at exactly the same hours of the day, and not everyone is in a guild (and sometimes, even the guilds aren't always helpful. I've been very lucky with mine, for the most part! :)), so having another source of information is invaluable. There is a Help function, which can be accessed by clicking on the little "?" buttons on various in-game windows, and many of the functions in EQ2 are similar to those of other MMOs, but if you've never played one in your life, it can be overwhelming and discouraging (and the Help doesn't cover much, actually; I think it presumes anyone accessing it has played before, but that could just be me). :-/

One of the things that distresses me about EQ3 (from what I've been hearing) is the fact that most 3rd party info will be pretty useless for it...when the zone maps can be changed by a player character destroying everything in sight, when you can't tell what animal or plant or person will attack you until you start interacting with it (my complaints about the Channeler Quest critters would then seemingly apply to everything), and there's no such things as levels or even progress bars, a casual player would seem to be S.O.L. Just seems to me that adults, be they working, college students, or with family to look after at any age, wouldn't have the time for this, and kids wouldn't necessarily have the patience. :-/

Uwk
    DreadRoberts likes this.
  9. Naramsin Well-Known Member

Something tells me it's not just the graphics or the dated game engine, Sometimes I wonder if the people making the content of this game ever heard of optimization. Not just graphics optimization, but also optimization of the code. Also I wonder if they have any flowcharts to refer to when making content and for purposes of debugging.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

There might have been, long ago, but things happen: documentation doesn't get done when it should (Crunches, I'm looking at you, but really, folks, take a few minutes at the end of the day to make .txt files of what you've done and send/print out and give 'em to your supervisor, who can keep 'em safe. Better than not having anything to look back on for what was done), or got lost/wiped, or spaghetti code (some even deliberate) rears its ugly head and was never solved, etc., etc., etc. One reason, I guess, for EQ3. :-/

Uwk
    who presumes it's a combination of a lot of things, including any and all of the above and more we don't know about...it's rarely just one thing in any situation :-/
  11. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Comments help, too. Even it it's only something like /* don't remove this pointless register read - it kickstarts the HDLC framer when the silly thing locks up */ Yes, Maxim, I'm looking at you & your DS2155 Transceiver.
  12. cuzaub New Member

are you talking about the sewers and vermin snye and the fp undercity zones? They are there and you can get into them a lot of the quests are even available.You can even get into the zones like Oakmist forest and stuff. I have been gone a while, but it doesn't look like content was removed, just changed a bit due to the world event. (The dragons flying over the cities)
  13. HestonFan New Member

It would be nice if there were city and race specific quests that gave good equipment and experience. This would encourage new players to quest in their racial starting cities. They could be introduced to PoK after reaching a higher level. As a new player myself going to the PoK is really overwhelming. These race specific quests could replace the Gloomingdeep mines as a tutorial area.
  14. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Umm...I think you're on the wrong forum. EQ2 doesn't have the Gloomingdeep mines for a starter area - nor the PoK. :)
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

And we do have the racial quests, but they don't give really decent stuff as a reward any more, by which I mean house items! Nowadays, unless you're a Sarnak, the only thing you get is a silly racial Ring, which fortunately only takes up a Charm (Optional) slot these days, so you don't "waste" a Ring slot (Sarnak also get a nice house item thing, as well as the silly Ring). Granted, you can buy the former racial rewards from a merchant in the city where you'd normally start the old racial quests (or at least the major city the suburbs were associated with...sigh), but if you're brand-new to the game, you have no idea where to go for that. :(

Uwk
  16. Ucala Well-Known Member

the issue I have is that. although older zones might have been fun when you did them..well older :p
    but when the only thing you do is revamp the levels to max and change nothing else, it kinda kills what most people kept in their dreams of the place (atleast imo).
    I see some people want starter islands.
    you do realize that if you were to revamp everything on the starter isles just to make it end content that you could basically pull the whole isle in 1 pull and burn it all down with ease? cause the isle has nothing about it. sure it was "tough" back than but those were different times.
    you can see that in the KoS zones now. room pull, room pull, room pull. it's trivial and boring
  17. Naramsin Well-Known Member

Not sure if I said this already or not, but I'll risk it:

All house pets should be given the option to convert them into plushies. Either that or give pets more finer controls, such as roam paths they can not divert from
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Mermut like this.
  18. Naramsin Well-Known Member

i would also like to be able to, when I switch over to my mass production profile, to be able to mass produce by a number I specify, as opposed to using the drop-down list and selecting a multiple of five. sometimes I may only need 4 of whatever crafted, other times I may need 23, and I may even need over 100 of an item crafted.
  19. Naramsin Well-Known Member

It would also be cool to be able to select areas to be converted into climbable walls in our houses.
  20. Naramsin Well-Known Member

Double posted by accident. I guess the bulletin board was running slow. Oh well.