Fun with math (Fallen Gate) An experiment.

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Shaidin, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Shaidin Member

I got a wild hair today and decided to test xp rates on Live servers, Stormhold and Fallen gate... So I leveled 3 identical toons of all 3 servers. Now after an afternoon leveling 3 troll SK's in Darklight woods to lvl 10 I have some Numbers.

Toon 1: Halls of fate server, Took 63 minutes to hit lvl 10 with out turning in any collections.
    Killing a level 11 sableflames in Darklight was worth 366 xp points with full Vitality (122 no vit)

Toon 2: Stormhold, took about 2 hours 45mins with light reliance on collections to hit 10 Killing the same lvl 11 sableflame netted 92 xp with Vitality and 30 with out vitality which is 25% of live servers.

toon 3: Fallen Gate, took about 2 hours and 30 mins with HEAVY reliance on collections including all 3 of the butterfly and moth quests, chipped shard collection and newb island shells and feathers (which jumped me from 3 to 8) The same sableflame mob was worth 18xp with Vitality (I dont have the no vitality value but I assume 9 or 10 xp) for a grand total of 4.9% of live servers

I haven't played in a few years so I don't quite understand why there is an extra 100% xp kicker on live servers and Stormhold but if you remove that for arguments sake that alters Fallen Gate's xp to 7.4% of live

Also in Darklight there appears to be far fewer harvesting nodes and Shinies ... I didn't run around and try to count them so I can't how many fewer but it seems substantial. I haven't explored enough to see for sure how far spread this is but seems Nektulos has fewer as well

Stormhold dungeon appears to have had its shinies turned off altogether. Which greatly hinders all collections with weathered bones and spiders. So 21 collections harshy bottlenecked.

Whelp back to the grind. Need to pay off the bags I bought
  2. Xephane Active Member

On live servers don't forget there are things like veteran bonus though, on a true test of base experience I'm sure you wouldn't be playing on an account that has that, so I'm going to assume you took that into account. Also, consider max level is 100 on regular rulest, 90 on Stormhold, and 50 on Fallen Gate. It would make sense that the experience gain differs.
  3. Caul Shivers Active Member

XP was miles better on SH went it was released.

There's a line between making it feel like the old times - and making it feel grindy and frustrating for a good number of people.

The best xp is in contested dungeons (as there is basically no instanced content in the sense that we know it from later on).
    And that best xp tends to be highly unavailable as there's tons of people taking mobs (which is fine) but - more importantly - countless botters taking away that contested content.

In short, yes, a good number of people are having fun on FG - but XP needs to be tuned up before the novelty and excitement wears off and we start losing people like we did on Stormhold when KoS came out.
    Once the exodus starts, there's no stopping it, very few people come back - the XP needs to be tuned up BEFORE people start leaving.

And oh yeah, buying a vitality potion that doesn't even last you a full level at lvl 30 is just beyond silly.
    Pixistik, Lost, Mizgamer62 and 2 others like this.
  4. Caul Shivers Active Member

5. Xephane Active Member

I played on launch Deathtoll (the other TLE) and the experience was actually very similar to current FG as I remember it. The only real difference was that PvP existed and gave quite a bit of decent experience gain on top of whatever you were doing.

This "exodus" you speak of doesn't come because of experience. KoS wasn't an experience problem, it was a content problem. Sure, people will leave because they don't like the experience. But, at the same time it isn't what people on these forums act like it will be. No, half the server wont leave because of the experience gain, that's an outright absurd statement. Many people play on TLE because they ENJOY the slow grindy feel and actually feeling like each level means something. Having to feel like something is a while away is a good thing, but it really isn't as long as people think. Without even TRYING to get experience (I mentor guildies, tradeskill, and harvest a lot) I happen to be level 27, experience is better when you stop looking at it and just play through. Sure, it's annoying sometimes to have quests get yellow/orange, but it's a part of the game, and it certainly doesn't mean there is NOTHING else you can do.
  6. Shaidin Member

As have mentioned in other places on here, I'm back from a long break, This account has many years of veteran rewards stacked up that I've never claimed. I would assume i probably do have this xp bonus you speak of. Maybe that is the +100% I was seeing and Tithes. no idea what that is about. What confuses me about that tho is I lose that bonus xp I'm seeing on other servers when my Vitality runs out.
    Personally I feel that level cap on the servers has very little to do with the amount of xp the mobs are worth (granted I could be wrong) to me it just feels like in addition of the much lower xp they have created other artificial road blocks, ie the mentioned fewer nodes, fewer shinies and shinies shut down completely in Stormhold dungeon.
    On a whim I might just make 2 more new toons and just do the first 2 collector quests any maybe plain moths to see if the xp awarded is different... cause I'm a curious sort when Im bored :)
    Mizgamer62 and Prissetta like this.
  7. Shaidin Member

Well looks like exploration and collections, at least on the starter island are exactly 30% of the xp that you get on the main servers for feathers and shells I got 1000 xp each. On FG I got 300, explore went from 200 to 60 and first quest went where you get a ring for just talking to first NPC went from 100 to 30

I was wondering why when I turned in 16 lvl 45 collections and a 15, 25 and a 40 I only jumped from 21 to 27. I did this back during vanilla and jumped from about 21 to 35.

One other interesting thing. On main servers when you get xp it tells you in chat exactly how much xp you are getting + bonuses. on FG it just says "You get experience" Its almost like they dont want to announce to you, that when you kill a mob that you only got 18 xp
  8. Malleria Well-Known Member

Hiding values from players is the way of the future apparently. I guess they figure we can't point out the problems if we don't know what they are.
  9. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

This guy gets it.

Its fine when each lvl mean something and is worth gearing for, but its not when u have but two dungeons each tier both being contested. It gets reptitive, boring and frustrating.

XP gains didnt matter as much on Deathtoll as it does on a PVE server because of this very reason. Each lvl was worth gearing for because of the addition of PVP combat. Same back on Naggy, hell id even lock exp to get the best gear i could before id proceed and never got bored. Until servers went ghost because of reasons

There need to be a balance. Exp needs to be slow enough so the content matters, but it also needs to be fast enough for a good feel of progression
    Lost, Mizgamer62 and Prissetta like this.
  10. Caul Shivers Active Member

My guild is one of the 3 (three) remaining guilds on Stormhold and has been there since launch.

XP on FG is not on the level the XP gain on SH was - not even close, and the speed at which vitality is consumed is borderline hilarious.
    We're a guild of people used to slow leveling after 2 years, but this is too much - a good amount of people are turned off by the massive walls they put on leveling whilst blatantly ******* off XP potions in the shop.

DB has some great (overworked) devs and a history of shady market policies and decisions.

If they want to keep a healthy server long-term, they need to fix this sooner rather than later (xp gain, blocked collections, disabled mentoring).

In the end, THEY lose money long-term as well... Like I said, once the players start leaving, the bleeding never stops.

The screwed up Deathtoll, they screwed up Stormhold (ask any scout how happy they are with SF changes - and you'll find none, for example).

Hopefully they learned enough from those two to keep this server going for a few years with a healthy population.
  11. Ratface Member

More than happy to pay a sub, more than happy to spend a little extra on appearance items, XP pots, and stuff. I haven't a problem at all paying for something I enjoy.

I'm enjoying fallen gate, mainly because a lot of the folks I've played with back on SH are here. The XP rate, the bugged collections, the bugged mentoring, and the pretty obvious cash gouge is off-putting.

If XP pots are in then let me use /claim.
    Ellah, Prissetta and Synistra like this.
  12. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Yeah, yeah, the sky will fall. We all know that and people working for game companies know about it too.

I don't understand the lament about slow leveling. Is it coming from players that are trying to level 12 alts at once? Why do they do it I wonder? What kind of fun do you get trying to level that many characters?
  13. Synistra Active Member

I know I never understood the whole "We won't allow claim items because balance" but then sell those claim items in the marketplace (obvious reference to billy doll and exp potions. I know the broker boxes aren't on the marketplace.) It's disheartening for sure. I really wish they would increase the exp gains.
    Prissetta and Mizgamer62 like this.
  14. guard Active Member

Lets be Honest whatever server you go on these days everything is about grinding feels more like db have lost all ideas about how to make game play more interesting and its just a case of well if you grind for long enough you can get x y z. i am finding it hard to log in these days
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  15. Mosharie New Member

I think they need to increase the experience for the following reasons.

1. Not feel so grindy.
    2. Many people like to play alts and more than one main.
    3. Those who are late to the server are not totally left behind.
    4. Encourage more play styles than just grouping in contested dungeons.
    Toxify, Lost, Tharrakor and 2 others like this.
  16. Zenji Well-Known Member

XP on Fallen Gate is brutal, I hit 50 last night and can tell you bringing up an alt is looking less appealing. However there are a decent amount of instances if you want a break from contested dungeons. This is just some of the ones I used. There are more.

Antonica-
    Bucaneer's Rest (10-12) small, possible named spawn, one instance per key, keys are fairly-common drop (small chest) from nearby Gnolls,
    Firemyst Gully (15-19) medium, lots of trash, 90 min lockout, quest inside for legendary weapon
    Shattered Vale (16-20) small, some trash, 3-4 named mobs, 4 hrs lockout
    The Condemned Catacomb (25-30) medium size, lots of trash, several named mobs, 90 min lockout,

Commonlands-
    Steelbone Family Crypt (10-12) small, two common named mobs, No lockout
    Bloodskull Valley: Excavation Site (14-18) lots of trash with few named mobs to avoid, leave to get fresh zone, if you kill named = 8 hour lockout
    Gobblerock's Hideout (25-30) lots of trash with few named mobs to avoid, leave to get fresh zone, if you kill named = 12 hour lockout, several quest across from zone in for legendary items.

Thundering Steppes-
    An Open Grave - Heroic (28-30) small, some trash, possible rare name spawn, No lockout
    Cove of Decay (26-30) 90 min lockout

Zek-
    Tallon Hording Halls - Heroic (30-33) medium size good amount of trash, possible rare name spawns, No lockout.
    The Sullon Mines - Heroic (34-37) long tunnel with lots of trash, possible rare name spawns, No lockout.
    The Darkened Den - Heroic (35-42) small with 4 encounters, possible name spawns, No lockout
    Deathfist Citadel (40-45) 90 min lockout

Rivervale-
    The Tower of the Drafling (40-46) 90 min lockout
    Pixistik, Xephane and Prissetta like this.
  17. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Yes these are all very good points and i agree on all of them.
    Mizgamer62 and Prissetta like this.
  18. Springelf Active Member

The exp rate on FG is beyond ridiculous. I am not saying it has to be as much as SH, they seem to want it to be grindy....but this is absurd. For the people complaining about ppl boxing....this is one reason why. Who the heck wants to do this over and over and over when its like watching paint dry. I'm not saying....change exp or I'm quitting....but I can say with certainty I wont be making as many alts. Imo once some people get to 50 they are going to just go...eh...and do something else. And forget new folks later on in the servers lifespan....who in the world is going to slog thru this exp solo? Lets not pretend there will be this amount of groups later on. And less alts mean even less people at lower levels.
  19. Shaidin Member

With my 28 necro I just killed al lvl 30 undead and got 20 xp with Vitality
    And with another 28 necro we duo'd 3 of the lvl 23^^^ scions in Stormhold for 17xp each with vitality...

Its gonna be a long climb to 50, Im about sick of my necro tho Im thinking of betraying over for something new.
  20. Zenji Well-Known Member

Something to think about when asking for increased XP is how it will effect those who still buy Vit/XP pots. For example, I used several pots and got to 50 in about 83 hours of game play.

Not saying some tweaks shouldn't be made, but it needs to be done very carefully.

I do think Quest XP rewards should be increased, at least in levels 5-30.