Full Download Question

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Neranya, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Neranya Member

Currently I play the game 'Streaming'. It usually isn't a problem. I was advised to do a full download of the game if I have the disk space, which I do. I tried it and noticed it was download tons of mp3 files (I'm assuming the music for the various zones / areas) and I saw repeated 'Warnings' that said it was re-trying to download various files. Eventually the download would abort and I was prompted to Retry. Once you switch to Full Download mode you can't go back, so until the download completes you can't play. Has anyone else experienced this, or know what may be causing it?

I use Avast Anti-Virus software, and I believe at one point I turned off Avast's protective 'shields', thinking that if the A/V software was trying to check each file as it came in, it was causing a backlog, but the 'Warnings' continued. Eventually I had to do re-install the game as I could not get the Full Download to work.

I've looked at Avast's settings and there are options to turn off the 'Web / Download' shield so the software doesn't try to check every file as it comes in. I've also seen an 'Exceptions' setting where I can tell it to ignore anything going to a specific directory. That seems the thing to do, but again, I'm pretty sure I turned off all the shields before and it didn't seem to work. I am reluctant to try the Full Download again until I know a little more about this.

Also, as I understand it,using the 'Streaming' version means every time I visit new zones the files for those zones are downloaded to my PC. If that is true, wouldn't that mean if I hit a bunch of zones / content, eventually I will end up with almost the entire game on the PC?

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Geroblue Well-Known Member

There has been server connectivity problems recently. I got a few time outs, and disconnected, this past weekend just changing zones or going into a prestige house/inn rooms.
    Breanna likes this.
  3. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

No, that will not mean. For streaming, files are temporarily saved. In addition, if you download full client, switch to streaming again, you will lose it (so it would be nice to save full client somewhere else separately). As for your Avast, I don’t think that it can create any problems with this game even if EQii isn't added to exception. And if, which is unlikely, it creates them, then adding to exception may not help, because then you need to remove driver of Avast from autorun, if it’s true that it really hinders.. As Geroblue correctly noted here, recently, more precisely little more than day back there were noticeable connectivity problems for many, it lasted for several hours, and if you got into this period then this is reason (they even displayed such message on forum "we are currently investigating a potential issue with network connectivity to the game")
  4. Neranya Member

Yes I was having problems on the 5th which is when I did the re-install. Thanks for the information. I do appreciate it. I may give the Full Download a try later.
    Geroblue likes this.