Frostfell's over, Darkened Shard wants to start, kicks me to Character Select

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

So, no kidding, there I am, logging initially to the Frostfell Village, then over to Thundering Steppes. I nod sagely and leave, going to another toon. I eventually come back to the first toon, the game tries to give me that gods-awful-can't-this-stop-now stupid old Darkened Shard quest, and before I can even pounce on the Decline button, I'm booted out to Character Select.

Just out of curiosity, is anyone else having this issue? :-/

Uwk
    who is still in the process of rescuing the Horde from the Village, mostly...hopefully, the problem will be solved before too long
    Prissetta likes this.
  2. Juraiya Well-Known Member

Only a couple of my characters get that Darkened Shard prompt (I've never claimed it on any of my others, or else I completed that quest), but all of my characters I immediately teleported out, so I didn't encounter your situation.

Sucks. I hope they fix it for you. You might be able to petition (you may have to do it from another character, I don't know), to have your character ported to a different safe spot.

Ironic, since TS is supposed to be the safe spot everyone can go to. Looks like the shard adds a factor they never considered. :)
    Ceyllynn and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

It's weird, since I didn't get that issue when I was booted from the Frostfell Village to Thundering Steppes initially, only when I came back there from another character. Very odd; happened twice now last night. :-/

Uwk
    the Puzzled
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hmm...tried to look up my houses on the Housing and Leaderboards list on said booted toon when I came back in and got nothing but my guild's hall, when I know for a fact I have 6 houses on that toon. /Camp to myself got me back my house list but also included the stupid Darkened Shard quest. :-/

Can we please opt out of it forever once we hit the Decline button, like any other quest? Please? It forces you to group, even a Merc can't help you, and the main reason for Mercs in the first place is that the company doesn't have that much faith we can automatically, blithely find a group any more on short notice. :-/

This particular quest is glitchy and broken, imho. Can't we just get rid of it once and for all somehow? If we really want the quest, just send us the stupid Shard in the mail and make it retrievable if we accidentally Destroy it. IF we Examine the Shard, we get the quest popping up, like any other item along those lines. If we DON'T Examine the Shard, nothing done, we don't have the quest flapping in our faces the minute we try going to Thundering Steppes. And if we want to Destroy the Shard, we don't keep getting its zombie ghost popping up in our bloody mail every time we try going to Thundering Steppes. :-/

Uwk
    Juraiya, Prissetta and Ceyllynn like this.
  5. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I am sorry you are having this problem Uwk, truly, I am.

*dances about doing the Snoopy dance and singing to herself "so happy I remembered for the first time in years to get all mine out of the Village before it was gone"*

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself (the Snoopy dancing and singing), I told myself multiple times every day during the last week of Frostfell, today is <insert date here> Frostfell ends in <insert number of days here> as I lived in horror that I would forget what date it was and endure what you are now.

*wanders off to put up more KAITHEEL FOR TRADESKILL/DECORATOR PERSON (in addition to events and holidays) campaign notifications all over Norrath*

Cyrrena
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Heh! Yeah, amen; I have my Excel file all set up ahead of time, once I know the end date (helps to have toons on Test, who can get their Santa Glug stuff started before anyone else and hopefully get everything they need before too long [I strive to get at least one of each new thing per toon per server. Tricky with Thurgadin after The Great Consolidation, but we managed this year ;->]), and usually I don't have to worry about the "hey, stupid, you left your toons in the Village, they're gonna get booted to TS now." "Oh, right... :confused:" since it usually goes off without a hitch. Luckily, it seems to have stopped hitching now; we'll see on others. ;->

(Still getting the stupid Darkened Shard crudola again, though.)

This year, I finally got so bloody frustrated with Santa Glug that I broke down and bought many a needed last whatever on the Broker on many a server. The only one I couldn't do that for, of course, was the Sinister Gumdrop pet (which, frankly, looks like the other purple one /shrug), and my toons on...Antonia Bayle, I think, missed out on getting the other EIGHT MORE we'd needed. Oh well. If it had been a new color, something really cool, glow-in-the-dark, whatever, that would've been harder to take. :-/

Another suggestion for merchant stuff: can we do like two years of a new item (especially of Heirloom/No-Trade things), one for the initial release and then a second year for folks who didn't get it earlier (like, say, Sinister Gumdrops...), and then put it on the Village merchants? Please? I remember the list an enterprising poster put up that included things that were still being handed out like three years later or something. Cute, but if we have 80,000,000 of them cluttering up the place (and since I could easily make that many new toons, I'd hate for someone to go without ;->), it's a bit much. :-/

Uwk
    Ceyllynn likes this.
  7. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I have 17 characters on this account alone and every single one of them got a sinister gumdrop this year and I have more than 20 extra in the bank, not that I hope I will ever need them, but can't guarantee that as something occurs and I buy a slot and make another new one *sighs*. If they were tradeable, I would give you all 20 of them I have now in the bank on AB.

Cyrrena
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Thanks for the thought! :D I'm just glad all the other stuff was available, 'cause there were times I was definitely despairing of ever being able to get it before the 4th. :-/

At least I got Kitten Familiars for all my Kerra toons. :)

Uwk
  9. Juraiya Well-Known Member

I got kitten familiars for ALL of my characters, Kerra or not, because kittens! I love having a kitten following each of my characters around, even if it does have a santa hat on it. :p Just wish we could shrink familiars like we can combat pets, because it would be nice having it a little smaller, particularly for my fae. (It's as large as several of my fae characters, which looks really amusing to see running around!)

Things usually come back the year after they've been introduced (although not always), so there's some hope that you'll get more next year. Let's cross our fingers about it. :)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I have eight toons alone that are Kerra; between my Doctor Who homage toons wanting the Gnomophone stuff (any wonky, silly bit of tech, they're there ;->) and the Kerra wanting kitten kids, there's not always enough hours in the Frostfell holidays to get all the tokens needed. :D

Uwk
    Cyrrena likes this.
  11. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

lol you two and your kitten affliction... lol my cats are setoff everytime they're sleeping near my comp and a guildmate's kitten meows lol.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

LOL! I just thank heavens we don't have a dog any more, every time a pup that's tagging along throws his head back and does the puppy howl thing... ;->

Uwk
    Ceyllynn likes this.
  13. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I got the kitten familiar for all of mine and all the gnomey wonky type things. I was still scrambling up to an hour before on my main getting more tokens to get more stuff and then have tokens to start with next year. Was also killing myself over and over to get the thick blanket of fog items over and over and it seemed I had to die at least once an hour doing that.
    Juraiya and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yikes! :(

Me, I'm both lazy and never know what I might need, so perversely, I never stock up on things, even when I should. If I need a blanket of fog with a snow mound, I'll make a snow mound and stick one of those li'l molehill/volcano thingees from Nights of the Dead under it. /shrug

Is the Thick Blanket of Fog different in appearance?

Uwk
  15. Juraiya Well-Known Member

Iirc, the one you get from NotD is grayer, and the one from Icy Keep is whiter.

Not very significant, really, but they are slightly different.

And I, too, ran around and got as many blankets of fog as I could, the last two days of Frostfell. :)
  16. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I believe as Juraiya said it more appearance smog or fog. But good idea, I never thought to stick the NoTD ones under a snow mound. But I do actually stick things like the butterfly knoll or the firefly knoll under things so it looks like the butterflies are going around plants and flowers instead of a grass mound. I stick the firefly ones underneath things so it looks like natural lighting or adding lighting to a garden type or outdoor area. I think I am becoming OC about the little knoll things, Kaitheel may need to make more varieties of them.
    Juraiya and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yes, yes! :D

Although, we do have the insect ones, the "door" one, and the rainbow/storm ones...isn't there something like it for the Moonlight Grottoes? Or is that more of a flat tile? :-/

Uwk
    Cyrrena likes this.