Free Level 100 Character

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Katzandra, May 24, 2018.

1. Katzandra Well-Known Member

From what I can tell, the free level 100 heroic character being offered is only good for newly created toons and not for upgrades on existing characters. This is disappointing as for many of us creating a "free" character requires purchasing another character slot. In the past, the heroic character promotions allowed us to upgrade existing characters (who own homes, etc) but have not been leveled up. I checked the claim box and didn't see a claim token. Am I missing something?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Katzandra Well-Known Member

Update: Caith says this is for new characters only... very disappointing.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rosyposy like this.
  3. Buba Active Member

If you have to purchase additional slot it is not really free! Free should mean FREE not free for $10.00.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Febrith like this.
  4. Gerak Well-Known Member

What happens if the character is created on an account that already has POP.
    Is it capped at 105?
    Does it stay if leveled above100?
    The news article may imply these things, but I would rather it be said outright.
  5. Febrith Well-Known Member

Wait - you have to BUY an additional slot? Well that's a bunch of old suck:( I just tried to make a new character and it was greyed out for me, now I understand why.
  6. Juraiya Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you've used all your current character slots, you are SOL. I don't have any open slots on one of my accounts, and I'm not about to delete any of those characters.

I'm kind of ticked about this. Why in the world is it only on new characters when this has never been true before? I wish DB actually read these forums, because this just isn't right.
  7. Dielace New Member

I got excited and was going to jump on to use it on one of my existing 15 characters as well as get 7 friends to reinstall and use it on one of their 3-10 characters. (None of us have empty slots) Being new characters only this time was discouraging enough to not really bother getting them to reinstall for the claims. If we could boost one of our existing characters I would have been able to get them to return to the game again for a while. But being new character only and no character slot included won't give much to motivate the returns currently.
    Juraiya and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  8. Buba Active Member

This is from the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) web site:

16 CFR Part 251

Rule Summary:
    The offer of "Free" merchandise or service is a promotional device frequently used to attract customers. When making "Free" or similar offers all of the terms and conditions upon which one can receive and retain the “Free” item should be set forth clearly and conspicuously at the outset of the offer so as to leave no reasonable probability that the terms of the offer might be misunderstood.
    You can view it here:

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/rul...edings/guide-concerning-use-word-free-similar
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

WHAT?! Waitaminute; that was one of the major reasons for me to buy the silly PoP expac when it goes on sale, was to use the Level 100 boost token (LIKE I HAVE EVERY TIME BEFORE) on a pre-existing character, to get her up to a point where she could harvest any pre-PoP nodes (ironically ;->) for all the rest of us on that server! :mad:

I have enough existential angst/guilt about "cheating" to get a toon up to 100 from her early 50's, but I was also looking to the free equipment upgrades as well, because getting from level 95 crafting to 100 to equip her properly is like 87,000 PitAs (not to be confused with the huge amount of XP it will take), and most of that job would be done with the upgrade. >:-/

What the hell, Daybreak? Are you so hard up for cash that you'll make us spend an additional $10 first for a new slot for a new toon? >:-/

Uwk
    santargria likes this.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Where did you see that, Katz? Discord or another post or...? :-/

'Cause believe me, I'd love to put in my two coppers about this... >:-|

Uwk
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm at the official Planes of Prophecy shopping page, looking at the CE version (currently $89.99), and it says:

"Claimable once per account [which is all I'd need it for]:
    Character Level 100 Boost"

When you mouse over it for a tool-tip, it says the following (emphasis mine):

"Delivered at the time of purchase! Boost an existing character to level 100 with a full set of equipment, including class-specific armor appearances."

Before I get set to Hulk out verbally (well, at least in writing ;->), I just want to make sure we're all on the same page; is this the upgrade you're all talking about here? :-/

'Cause if it is, then that entry on the official page would be a little thing the FCC would delight in calling false advertising. >:-/

EDIT: Okay, I'm now looking at the official GU page, where it talks about "creating a free level 100 character." They may have edited the entry there since y'all started growling about it, since it does look like it's more explicit that it's a newly created character (or at least, a little more clear). Annoying, yeah, and I don't blame you guys a bit for getting ticked off, but it's not quite as infuriating for me. :-/

Uwk
    semi-relieved...
  12. Azola Member

When did the DB PTB decide that whatever toons I now have on my fully paid accounts are all that I can have? I have 15 on one account and 7 on the other and both are telling me that I have to kill off an existing character to add the (not really) "free" new one. Not bad enough that they think it is okay to change items one has already purchased from heirloom to no-trade with no notice and no stated rationale. The main body of my characters are within 3 months or so of being as old as EQ2 even is.Way too much time and money invested in them to kill them off and start over with new ones.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Or you can just spring for another character slot... :(

If you're a full member, it's "only" $9, but still. Not exactly "free" by any means. :-/

Hey, waitaminute...even if we stuck to the original "you only get 7 character slots, period! /giggle" like we're supposed to, wouldn't they think we would've filled them all by this point...? And they all would've been maxxed out already? >:-|

Uwk
    Juraiya and Febrith like this.
  14. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Uwk, these are different offers. You are correct, from buying PoP, you get a token which can be used to boost a new or existing character to level 100. The offer in question is a promotion they are running with the release of GU106 where you can make a new character and boost it to level 100 and you have until June 7 I believe to level it to a max of 105 and a trial period of PoP that runs for that same amount of time.
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah! Okay. [/rant]

Still stinks, though, that the other offer is for just the chance to make a "fresh" 100...if you have slots ready. :-/

Uwk
    who never has enough...
  16. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I never have enough slots either, but I did have DBCash so guess who bought yet another slot.
  17. Roxxlyy Community Relations

If you own PoP, you'll be able to level to 110 as usual. If you don't own PoP, you'll be able to level to 105 and your level will be capped there. If you do this, even after the 2 week "PoP trial" period ends and you are removed from the expansion zones, your character will remain whatever level they are, even if it's above 100. You just won't be able to continue to level unless you buy the expansion, which will again increase the level cap to 110.
  18. Roxxlyy Community Relations

We've chosen to give players a free level 100 character - the option to create a new character that starts at level 100. Yes, this is different from a heroic character boost, which would level an existing character to 100. We are very aware of these differences, which is why we have at all referred to the giveaway heroic character as a character boost.

I understand some people may not have character slots available, but this wasn't stated as something that was included as part of the offer. For this specific promo, the new level 100 heroic character itself is available for free for existing players.
    Malombra and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  19. Buba Active Member

Thank you Roxxlyy for your reply. Even though I think this promotion was poorly handled and in my opinion the failure to disclose that you would have to either purchase a character slot or otherwise have a slot available is a violation of FTC guidelines, it is good that you are at least communicating. The guideline clearly states that the terms should leave NO reasonable probability that the terms will be misunderstood. Omission of offering something in addition does not really serve as a defense. The fact there is so much discussion here is evidence the offer was not clear.

I do not mean to be a pain but I definitely feel mislead and that is disappointing. Hopefully in the future DBG will be conscious of the fact that consumers are constantly bombarded with bait and switch marketing and it alienates consumers.
  20. Febrith Well-Known Member

I have (I think) 16 slots on my one and only account - I like having only one account and all my Febs in one place, able to share their stuff easily etc etc - and I definitely misunderstood the offer - /disappointed!