Forum Feedback (Official!)

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Chikkin, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Estred Well-Known Member

Well considering that there is such a time limit here... you can't be caught editing past posts like that. I could see extending the time lock-out to say an hour but I think the reason behind it is a good one. As I said I was bitten by that once.
  2. Feldon Well-Known Member

Here, apparently it's done for forum moderation reasons.
  3. Nolus Well-Known Member

It's too bad there are legitimate reasons to go back and edit old posts. I don't anymore but used to maintain a post for the sage class, and for people who try and help there fellow players it's a hinderance, which is a shame. :( Besides, not many people actually abuse it.
    Terein and Seliri like this.
  4. Feldon Well-Known Member

As someone who has administered forums for 12 years, who cares if someone abuses it? The worst case scenario is they go back and delete their old posts. It's somewhat disruptive but in the end, the benefits to being able to edit posts far outweighs the slight chance that a few troublemakers or ragequitters will disrupt existing threads.

As for people who post something nasty and then go back and soften it after other people have replied in kind, well, there's a Post Edit History addon for that so mods and admins can read the original version(s).
  5. Estred Well-Known Member

Does that also allow forced-revert on said "softened" posts? What I hear in general is that there are a lot of reasons to edit old posts for AT LEAST a 3-day period. Imo past that for most threads, your word is your word. Any chance that would be more tolerable?
  6. Nolus Well-Known Member

I agree with Feldon completely. I don't know why you are focused on that. Heres the thing, for Smeds words yes, his word should be his word which has certainly changed. I don't think I can find any posts from him on even the archived forums for his posts he went back on. Now that I can agree with but, for players it really doesn't matter. So what if someone changes their posts. You know I've seen edits, you know what the are a majority of the time? Fixing typos.... I've never ever seen a single post where edits have caused havoc. If someone takes a strong stance or whatever chances are someone quotes it before it's change. If not it's usually too bad for the forums and gets removed anyways.

People put a lot of work into walkthroughs and guides, and trust me. Not being able to edit a past post makes it more of a pain. Why on earth they decided to hinder it is beyond me.

As to whether it allows a forced revert no, it doesn't. However it does allow you to see all previous edits to decide what action if any should be taken. These forums are about community, not shaming etc.
    Seliri and Terein like this.
  7. Estred Well-Known Member

Yep, that's why I suggested in that post that a compromise be reached between the players and the devs.

- Devs clearly want a locked edit timer.
    - Players want no lock timer.

I say 3-7 day grace period if you haven't fixed your point or typos in that amount of time it should stay. Just my opinion though.
  8. Nolus Well-Known Member

Right, but that really needs to be weighed against the benefits, Is it really any reason to make it more difficult for people to post useful information? It's not typos they are editing, it's changes from game updates, new information etc. It's a pain enough to get all the information together and work around things like post limitations etc.Why make it harder for someone who is trying to help other players?

I don't think the Dev's care at all about the edit timer. The community relations person is in charge of that, they are not a developer.

The CM needs to look at the big picture and figure out what's best for the community, because that is what all this is about or should be anyways. Every time they change forum software it takes a hit stuff like that just adds on top of it.
  9. Taysa Well-Known Member

What about posts that require updates longer than that? Guides/walkthroughs/FAQs require upkeep that spans longer then 3-7 days.
    Terein likes this.
  10. Estred Well-Known Member

Well the Recruitment thread I believe already has the lockout removed. It is not impossible to have them removed. I know though the Dev's want to keep the lockout timer, which is why I suggested a medium of a Week's time.
  11. Balbasur Active Member

Can the people who killed all 6 Avatars be given special color text and a cool icon?

Thanks!
  12. Terein Active Member

Is that so you can continue to harass them about how you can't kill an avatar?
  13. Balbasur Active Member

No, because I'm one more kill away to have killing all 6 :)
  14. Seliri Well-Known Member

It's absolutely baffling & disrespectful to me that this is EVEN AN ISSUE.

Take all of 20-40 minutes to go through my rigorous, meticulous posts on the old forums AND TELL ME that I could've come up with all of those details in 30 minutes.

You want quality feedback, THEN YOU DO NOT, YOU ***DO NOT*** handicap conduits for review & suggestion.

End of story, there is NO getting butt-hurt or sensitive about this, it is SIMPLY logical FACT.

> click here > http://tiny.cc/45poafep < click here <
    > click here > http://tiny.cc/30eq3p < click here <

15. Feldon Well-Known Member

The staff who are tasked with running the EQ2 forums on a day-to-day basis to maintain and improve the game and communicate with customers, namely EQ2's Community Manager and EQ2's Developers, have minimal input into forum policy, software features, and management. There's a roomful of decision makers somewhere coming up with all of that, possibly in a very tall, lightly colored building.
  16. Seliri Well-Known Member

always dem shadow-faced, cigar-smokin', cowboy hat-wearin, sneaky bureaucrats fumbling things up behind the scenes for the rest of us, man!!!!1!!1... .__."... ;'{ ... :(
  17. Nolus Well-Known Member

Things must have changed then. I agree with the forum software bit. But, it used to be the CM for forum policy and I presume still is. I'm not a newbie to all this. ;)
  18. Seliri Well-Known Member

· 11.) No longer able to delete posts?

· 12.) Character limit reduced from 25K-50K to 10K.

· 13.) Years of history loss (archives are obviously going to be rarely, if ever, referenced with consistency).

consolidatin' me circumspection
  19. Mae- Well-Known Member

Here's my suggestion... ban the use of annoying colored text (ie. Mr. Annoying Orange Text above), its extremely difficult to read against the new background, and the individuals are clearly too stubborn to make a more friendly choice on colors. So just remove the ability to use any colors, that way I can read what they're saying, instead of skipping it.
    Torvaldr and Feldon like this.
  20. Terein Active Member

Don't remove colors for everyone because ONE single person is abusing it, maybe ban colors specifically for him. :p

Being able to use colors is fun, in fact I think I'm going to type everything in cyan from now on!