For the love of Marr... give the mirror an "erase profile" option.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Wurm, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Wurm Well-Known Member

The way the mirrors now work are next to useless.

No one wants to load a months old profile and reset it just to save their current one.

And having multiple mirrors is not an option, workarounds should not be accepted by the player-base in the place of fixes.
    Thalador and Cloudrat like this.
  2. Estred Well-Known Member

Given how many specs there are and I feel AA's need an examination to diagnose issue from the Class and Subclass trees in many cases most have only 1 spec in their Sub-class tree. The difference between AA specs for a mirror usually is only the Heroic and Prestige lines. I would love the "erase profile" option or a new Mirror that lets me hold 3-4 Profiles.
  3. Koleg Active Member

currently each character is allowed to place one AA Mirror per house ... currently each character is allowed to own up to 20 uniquely located / named houses ... some houses are available for rents as low as 7s pieces per week (84 silver per 3 months)... some houses are available for free w/o any maintance costs (via CE x-paks or LON).

Currently AA mirros can be traded via the crated item crafting which eliminated the need to have one commissioned; a largely welcomed update which was requested by the community every day for the past 4+ years. The crafting mats drop from any mob in T8+ zones (iirc) and thier broker price will float between 10g and 1p depending on server and availability. I personally find it easier to destroy an unwanted saved setup and use a new mirror when I want to drastically change specs.

Some classes have a single "logical" AA setup and others have 5 or 6 "unique" setups... The current AA mirror mechanic is in the single best shape it has been since it was introduced into the game.
  4. Arieste Well-Known Member

Uhm.. that's not really the purpose of the mirror. The purpose of the mirror is to switch frequently-used specs quickly or to save a spec before experimenting with a new one (which requires visiting an Achievement Counselor).

If what you want to do is reset your AAs, that is what the Achievement Counselor is for.

Me and the vast majority of players I know DO USE the mirror the way it is.

I don't see mcuh harm to your suggesting of adding a reset to the mirror, but it would be doubling on a utility that is already available elsewhere in the game and i'd much rather programming time be invested elsewhere.

An easier solution i suppose would be to add AA Counselor house amenity so you could use it as well as the mirror without having to go back to the GH. But this is a dangerous path, I'd rather not take away any reasons to visit the GH. The game already went to crap socially when reasons to visit cities were killed by introduction of Guild Halls, if we remove the need to visit GH too, we'll all be forever alone.

TL;DR: sorry the mirror is useless to you. i've been using mine 2-3 times a week since the day i got one years ago and still consider it very useful. As does pretty much everyone that i personally know in game.
  5. Estred Well-Known Member

I use it as is, though I find the idea of having to use a workaround for classes that have more than 1 "obvious" spec is annoying. I use it as is but my only difference is Heroic/Prestiege lines which frankly I wish that the other 2 lines in my Warrior tree and a few lines on the Shadows tree were not so worthless at high end levels.

I can agree though that were we given Guild Hall amenities in our houses it would really ruin things. Guild Harvest Depots should (imo) have let you pulled harvests no matter where you were BUT there should not have been Guild-Crafting Stations. I liked being able to see others in cities.

@koleg I did not actually know that you could destroy a Mirror and thus a garbage spec at the same time. There is another broken workaround though. If you glitch a 2nd mirror into the same house you can try to store 2 specs but the first mirrors will be wiped clean.
  6. Wurm Well-Known Member

Huh? @ at least two of the posts in here.

I know what the mirror is for.

But lets say the last time you used the mirror was last year, and you figured out a much better AA set up since then and want to save it.

As the way things are now, you have to reload the one year old spec to save your current spec, then trot over to the AA re-setter AKA Achievement Counselor wipe the old spec and manually reset it to the alternate spec then return to your house and switch.

Which is a waste of time and effort that could be easily avoided if we could wipe old no longer needed specs off the mirror. It may be just one extra step in some of your opinions, but its still sloppy programming and it bugs me. It is really annoying if your two specs are only a few changes in one tree.

And the whole you can have 20 houses blah blah blah is a... say it with me...

W O R K A R O U N D

I for one am tired of working around bugs and ill thought out options in the game I pay for every month and I demand better service for my money.

I want the ONE mirror I have placed in the ONE house I own to work, without having to jump through hoops.

And its a simple fix to implement,
  7. Arieste Well-Known Member

Uhm.. apparently you don't. The mirror is not for "saving a spec". This is not a Microsoft Word document, if you're only using ONE spec, there is no need to save it. It's saved automatically on your character already.

The purpose of the mirror is to switch to the spec that is already on the mirror.

But let's say you get what you want and you now get an option on the mirror that says "erase". Now you have an empty brand new mirror. When you save your spec, you would get an empty spec - all your AAs unassigned... something that is easily accomplished through the Achievement Counselor. So you would accomplish a free AA reset. Which is nice I suppose.

Unless what you're asking for is to load your spec into the mirror while also keeping that same spec on yourself. Which uhm.. yeah it would be simple, but it's really not at all what the mirror is for. The whole point is to CHANGE specs. I really don't think the vast majority of people who have a mirror keep one just so that they could keep the exact same spec as they are already running. Again, that is NOT the purpose of the object.

The mirror IS working as intended. It does exactly what it was designed to do, which is to allow you to switch from one spec to another with one click. The mirror is not meant to be a spec editing tool, that is what the achievement counselor is for.

There is also absolutely no reason for the game to have a "Save Spec" function. Well.. there is.. which is when the game bugs out and resets your AAs by accident over and over. But I'd rather they just fix that happening than create a workaround.
  8. Wurm Well-Known Member

And I think its you who doesn't understand how broken the mirror is.

1) Yes it is used by many people to save current specs when they know SOE is going to do a reset. Just because YOU don't use it that way doesn't make it an invalid use for the mirror.

2) And yes its used to save two specs to switch between them, I use it for both.

I have two specs.

A dps spec and a tanking spec.

Lets say I have an OLD spec on the mirror and want to save my tanking spec.

I go to the mirror, save my tanking spec. Great right?

If I could save that spec by itself and still have it as my current spec everything would be cool.

However that isn't how the mirror currently works. As it is now I have to load an old spec to save my current one then run to the AC to respec from the old one to either back to my tanking spec or my dps spec. Depending on how old the spec I was forced to load is, I might have to redo a lot of lines or just a few.

I'd much rather be able to erase the old spec, then save my current spec (at the same time retaining that spec) and then only make the new spec using the one line it requires instead of having to redo everything.

And how you get that I'm asking for a free respec is beyond me. The mirror should work like this.

1) If both specs are current it should provide the means to switch quickly.

2) If the old spec is old and no longer needed or wanted the person should be able to erase that old spec and then load his or her's current spec onto the mirror while at the same time retaining that saved spec.

3) They could then go to the AC and reset the only the lines they need.

Nowhere did I say that I want the mirror to erase my current spec when saving it for a, as you put it, "free respec".

That defeats the purpose of having an erase option. Erase should return the mirror to the state it was when you had it made, made it yourself, or more recently purchased it from the broker.

The first time you use a mirror it doesn't erase your current spec and give you a blank slate to work with now does it? No it does not.
  9. Arieste Well-Known Member

I was pretty sure it did, but it's been like 3-4 years since it was new, so honestly, i don't remember.

So yeah, you were asking for the 2nd thing I mentioned, where you just save the same spec in the mirror as you have on your character. It REALLY is not what it's designed for at all. But yes, THAT should be a fairly easy thing to implement. I just think that it's something that has a very limited use and to very few people.

The best use of it would be as a workaround to SOE's random respecs and bugs where your AAs keep resetting every time. I'd just rather they fix the whole AA resetting garbage in the first place rather than having to find workarounds for it.

It also sounds like what you're asking for is to be able to reset "one line" of AAs instead of a whole tree. This would be nice and it would be pretty cool if they reworked the Achievement Counselor to allow to add and subtract AA points from tree, rather than just resetting the entire tree. But to me this has nothing to do with the mirror.

The only time i ever wanted to "save a spec" was when SOE had pre-announced an AA reset. Under the current conditions, I had to pick one of my two specs and throw it the mirror and then know that my SECOND spec will get erased on patch. So i WAS able to save one spec.

If they were to add what you're asking for, I would still only be able to save ONE spec, except instead of the patch erasing my 2nd spec, i would erase it myself before the patch. Not a huge difference to be honest.

I still very much disagree with you - as i think would most players - that "AA Mirrors are next to useless". I still use mine multiple times a week to great effect.
  10. Koleg Active Member

It's obvious that we all know 'how' to use a mirror and we all know there are many different reasons 'too' use a mirror, but the only thing 'Broken' with the mirrors in thier current mode is that SOE accidently allowed each toon multiple mirrors when they expanded the housing limit. That the 'broken' part of AA mirror and its the part I'd rather they NOT change back.

If you want to earse a mirror just pull it off the wall and drop it on the floor to break it. Place a new one and you can save your current spec w/o 'Swapping' anything. Mirrors cost like 50gold or less these days and picking it up from inside the house and right-clicking to destroy it or dropping on the floor shouldn't be that much of a problem, nor considered a 'work-around'.

A mirror 'Saves' the current spec when its new/empty, then from there on it 'Swaps'. If you'd like to 'Save' again, then it's (currently) got to be on a new/empty mirror. Buy another house (too cheap not to) or buy another mirror. Both solutions take hardly any effort or in-game coin to QQ so much about.

The Mirror use to be 1 per toon, now its 20 per toon and even though other games like WOW allow for spec swapping on the fly, they are limited to 3 and they are not 'tweaks' but a complete change to role. Meaning that EQ2 mirrors allow for 20 tweaks or role changes, but you have to zone a few times.

Now if you were asking for a crafted portable mirror I'd agree 1,000 times over.
  11. Wurm Well-Known Member

1) I don't want another house. That's a WORKAROUND.

2) While the mirrors might fall like mana from heaven now a days in your opinion, I had mine commissioned back when they came out and it cost me more than a pretty penny and I'm not about to "drop it on the floor" as you put it, since that is also a WORKAROUND.

Demanding better service has nothing to do with QQ BTW. That you are willing to jump through hoops is fine, I on the other hand am not.
  12. Koleg Active Member

Its NOT a workaround...

The Mirror is designed to reflect a previously 'viewed' AA setup; it's called a Mirror of REFLECTIVE Achievement. It magically holds what it once saw and allows the powerful magic wielder (even those who only bought the services of a powerful magic wielder) the function to reapply it's past visions. In that process, the mirror again stores what it sees in its viewers eyes (spec), ie your current spec you're swapping out of. back and forth, forth and back. One spec Held (on the Player), One spec Stored (on the Mirror).

Multiple Specs or Multiple Mirrors have NEVER been intented or designed by the developers and only thru the lack of support on the test server were multiple mirros and multiple spec's allowed into the game.