For mostly soloing (but some group play), SK or Necro level 100 boost?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Vendeyn, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Vendeyn Member

Are both SK or Necro about equal with soloing, one better than the other?

I mostly solo but I do group, and I generally don't mind what role I play in a group they are all fine. I'm pretty casual though, usually my playtime can be anywhere from 30 min to a few hours and I afk a lot randomly for any amount of reasons and come without notice (hence why grouping can be a bit hard). Weekends are easier for me to group, but that is about it.

As for soloing...I like to solo whatever I can, though in truth I mostly craft and pick up sparkly things or decorate :p

I have a SK at level 48, and a Necro at 47 and like both pretty much equally...hence why a hard time deciding what to use my boost on

Thanks for any advice :)
  2. Vendeyn Member

As a note, I WILL group, but its mostly weekends. Otherwise I afk too much on weekdays for grouping to be viable, unless I want to annoy the person with random, un-announced AFKing :p
  3. Vendeyn Member

I can't seem to edit my posts, so, sorry for the triple post.

I ended up going with the SK. I guess necro is better from what I was told in-game chat and discord, but SK is just a tad bit more fun for me and wanted to do something different than the usual. Hope right decision lol
  4. Carynn Well-Known Member

The one you have fun playing most was the best choice, because you can get a healer merc and stay alive with any class. I haven't played with the Panda merc yet. I tend to run with either the Gathering Goblin for dps or Zhurg for heals. Make sure you get the Panda armor and ascension 5 upgrade (soloers do best with Etheralist ascension class for added dps). You should be able to solo pretty much all the content except for some Epic 2.0 things, which requires heroic KA zones and there's usually help around for that if you ask in General or LFG chat.

On a side note, I'd recommend doing the tradeskill quest line from http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/The_Captain's_Lament onward before doing adventure content. Not only does it give you good faction with the stuff in ToT and KA, and a great cloak, it tells you the story behind ToT and KA that the adventure content lacks.
  5. kurghan Active Member

Been told necro is a fairly good class to play as it is more forgiving if you are a little rusty , I've still got a 100 LVL baubles from current expansion I've not used yet and can't decide what to upgrade.
    So having another when I pre order is gonna be a nightmare.
  6. Carynn Well-Known Member

Your best bet is to use the free trial level 95 heroic with the classes you're debating on playing, and play for the week they give you in AoM (start the sig quest line there). You'll find out pretty quickly what works for you best and if you even like the class, period. I have a necro and a conjy, and prefer the conjy, but my main is an Illy. My guildmate swears by necro. I find the ranger to be a ton of fun, too. If you are a solo player, like me, switching mains is a painful process for leveling/gearing/spell upgrades so the trial is a very good way to test run classes. Plus, you can always go through all the classes and go back and re-test the ones you preferred before making a final decision, as it's all free.
  7. Raff Well-Known Member

You'll have a better chance getting groups as Necro.

Unless you "want" to tank on your SK. In that case, you can set up your own groups....Good Tanks being scarce these days.
  8. Steelviper Active Member

Difference between Shadowknight and Necro is the playstyle - SK is more the close combat plate tank (heavily protected and in the thick of it), and Necro is more the ranged mage dps (cloth armor only, little protected but staying at distance). DPS-wise they might not be that far apart (never played a SK myself) but the difference in the playstyle is quite big.
  9. Raff Well-Known Member

If both classes are well played & geared , SK's should not even be close to Necro DPS. But there is a lot of variance out there in gameland.

Biggest difference is the Necro is a clothie /DPS Pet Class & the SK is a Plate, Tank /melee class.