For A Monk: Zhugrus Blightstaff or Chumba Spiritcaller

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Mysaphar, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Mysaphar New Member

I am playing a monk with Zhugrus Blightstaff currently and I am quickly finding out that due to not being hit as much as other fighter classes, I am not triggering many heals. So, I was wondering if I should go for Chumba Spiritcaller the Mystic merc. Or maybe a Channeler merc.

Any input would be awesome.
  2. CharbrynEQ2 Well-Known Member

For what level? If you're doing 120 stuff, to be the bearer of bad news none of the healer mercs do well aside from being a cure-bot. Zhugrus is actually one of the better ones, especially pre-100. They all tend to watch while you die.
    If you're not 120 you won't be able to get Chumba (have to be 120 to zone into RoS zones). I don't know of a channy merc but perhaps there is one?
  3. Mysaphar New Member

I saw a streamer mentioned he used a channeler merc on his Monk. Thx for the reply.

Monk monk is 35 and have assist off on Zhugrus so all he does is heal. Dont want to kill too fast. Even then, is just quest reward gear I am wrecking yellow heroics SO maybe I shouldnt be too concerned.

So you mention mercs being useless in 120 content. Guess they dont want people soloing like they did earlier expansions. :)
  4. Mysaphar New Member

Looked back at the video. He says there is a vampire channeler merc in Obulus Frontier.

5. CharbrynEQ2 Well-Known Member

From the wiki - granted this is player-updated, so if there's something else maybe it hasn't been loaded in yet. This is the healer merc from KA - hope this helps. :) There is a similar healer/ranger hybrid from the CD expansion but you'll need to be 100 to zone into Myrist I believe.

Here is the wiki link on mercenaries - should list most, if not all, the available mercs.

https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Mercenaries
    Kunark Ascendingedit | edit source
    Available as a /claim item only for those who have purchased the Collector's Edition or Premium Edition of the Kunark Ascending expansion.
    • Note: Claz'zakla can be hired in Obulus Frontier only after you activate the token in your inventory that appears upon claiming it.
    • This mercenary uses Warden-like and Ranger-like abilities so having some dps and healing potential.
    Zone
    Name
    Class
    Race
    Map Ref
    Crusader's Cave in Obulus Claz'zakla (Obulus Frontier) Ranger Sarnak ( 564, 251, 1262 ) COPY [IMG]
  6. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Monk here. Zel'Kriaz the Inquisitor has reliably kept me alive for all of Blood of Luclin and Reign of Shadows so far.

As did Vylkorin the Vile (Inq), Tarsil the Pure (Inq), Oor of Umbra (Fury), and Zizzaxa Windbalm (Fury) before her.

I honestly don't know what people are talking about how merc healers can't keep them alive. In my own personal experience that has never been the case as long as I don't tell them to start attacking when I'm inconveniently low on health. Even if I go into battle with Protect Me and Protect Self clicked, Zel'Kriaz still gets heals and cures off first before casting offensive spells.
    AOE1 and Breanna like this.
  7. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I'm not a monk, but I've had plenty of different healer classes for my various toons. I did not care for Chumba myself. Cusahorn listed some very good mercs. I also found the inqy merc from Nye'Celona to be effective. I've been impressed with the Captain merc from current xpac. My merc is set to "assist" only, and on occasion, "None." No other settings chosen. In contrast to Cusa, I don't use "protect yourself," because if I'm moving, they have a tendency to grab aggro, or more often, go back 500 meters to attack something along the way.
  8. Mysaphar New Member

Thank you all for your comments. I now have some more info to use. :)
  9. AOE1 Well-Known Member

While it matters which one you use, none of them are worth much until you level them AND gear them up.