Fix for the "cabinet file" error when installing Direct X...

Discussion in 'General Tech Support Questions' started by ARCHIVED-Caethre, Sep 14, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Caethre Guest

(( I posted this deep in another thread, but so many people are reporting this, I thought I would post what I managed to do to fix it, in case it helps anyone.
    When I logged in this evening, I had the same error regarding the missing file "d3dx9_31.dll" that so many others are reporting here.
    I immediately decided to update my version of Direct X from Microsoft, but then this install then failed, giving the error:
    "A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted. Please verify the Cryptographic Services are enabled and the cabinet file certificate is valid".
    I spent almost 3 hours trying to solve this, following much of the advice given above and elsewhere, and none of it worked. However, I eventually found a solution on a random forum post after searching the web for help. The problem actually comes down the the latest Direct X "Web Installer" seemingly not working properly. Instead, I then downloaded the full version of Direct X on to my PC. I got the Direct X here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en
    Once the file "directx_Jun2010_redist.exe" was on my hard drive, I ran that to unpack it into a temporary directory, and then from that temporary directory, ran the "DXSETUP.exe".
    This installed DirectX cleanly. After a reboot, it then all worked. )).
  2. ARCHIVED-Amnerys Guest

3. ARCHIVED-lail Guest

WOOTS THIS FIXED IT FOR ME
  4. ARCHIVED-alabama Guest

Felishanna@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    this fixed my problem also. thanks alot! much more helpful then the soe staff.
  5. ARCHIVED-ranga Guest

Felishanna@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    After trying all the Sony fixes this is the ONLY thing that worked for me. Thank you.
    This is not meant to be sarcastic but can anyone from Sony let us know when they are going to start doing impact analyses on changes to things as critical as development environments?

And as for the announcement of Fix incoming, as of 13.24 PDT 9/15 the patcher still does not fix the prob. :(
  6. ARCHIVED-AziBam Guest

As others have noted, none of the other "fixes" worked for me until this one. TYVM to the OP!