Fishing = mini game?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Sturmlocke, Oct 9, 2022.

1. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hail and well met,

just a quick question for our devs: How difficult would it be to turn our click-to-fish in game into something more entertaining? Would it be a huge undertaking or something that could be upgraded with a little bit of spit and hard work? This is what I imagine basically:

I see myself somewhere on the oceanside of Greater Faydark or Sinking Sands just chillin' there and fishing like that for a while. In other words, make a mini game out of it where you have to fight and reel in the fish via mouse movement and maybe even add a few other interesting aspects to it. Being able to see different types of fish or other sea creatures that you can try to fish out of the water would be nice too and having to use different types of bait for each species or fish type would enhance it even further. Would also literally like to put the fishes that I catch onto a camp fire and watch it roast while I wait.

Cheers
    Jaden, Siren and Aterskia like this.
  2. IkeuCakes Member

Wanted to say - I would absolutely, ABSOLUTELY love a mini-game on fishing, even if it was separate from the Harvesting fishing..

This game has many beautiful spots, background musics, and ambience for this type of thing. I could see myself doing it for hours.
  3. Aterskia Active Member

an mehbees be's RARE chance to gits OCTOPUS!
    den fight awl dem tennakuls!!:eek:

awlsew fur added REALISM to hav wicker-type Fish Basket graphic to appear next to yu's to puts fishies in wen dey kaught!:cool:
    an fur the Tradeskillers, mehbee also a crafted Fishing Basket inna Inventory to heps wif katchin' fishies! (+ to Fishing)
    (likies wif Collapsible Fishing Pole)
    Jaden and Sturmlocke like this.
  4. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

What was that MMO that released not too long ago where the fishing was essentially the most fun part about the game just because it was designed so differently? I can't remember the name, but players were saying "there's not much fun from playing this game, except for the fishing mini-game is awesome".

There are collection quests you have to fish for in Cobalt Scar and Thalumbra that can result in an octopus plushie for your house. :)
    Jaden, Aterskia and Sturmlocke like this.
  5. Melkior Well-Known Member

Just goes to show different people like different things. I would *HATE* that. But as long as it were an option (ie alternate method of fishing without a difference in rewards) and not something required and people enjoy it, I would be in favor of it being added.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  6. Gharyn Well-Known Member

I wish they would bring in something like the system in LOTRO where fishing is a hobby skill that can be leveled and you can catch trophy fish that you can have mounted for the walls of your house.
    Aterskia and Sturmlocke like this.
  7. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Oh I wouldn't mind if the powers that be implemented the above as a separate alternative to the fishing we have rn tbh. Totally fine with me as I also get that some ppl might prefer the less actionrich approach :) You could totally do both and create different types of fishing areas for it. We have more than enough water to play with in EQ2, and at the same time it would also make water an important subject again. I feel like water is mostly just "there" in many games even though it's one of the most important, relaxing, beautiful and utterly underrated elements in these worlds. So much you can do with water, it's insane in a good way.

Noooo idea, but it does sound interesting. Does someone have more info on this? That said, Gharyn, At and you have a good idea there actually. Catching the fish and being able to mount your best catch in your home would be a nice touch indeed. I agree with you guys, the leveling system that lotro has is pretty good in this regard. I also feel like doing these things in mmos should reward you in one way or the other, bc I know for a fact that some ppl prefer to level differently from playing Star Wars Galaxies for many years. Imagine just being a simple fisher in EQ2, or a musician for that matter. Now that I think of it, Lotro allows its players to create music in game, SWG also had much respect for its entertainers, and I'm pretty sure adding an option like this to EQ2 would make a lot of ppl happy. Another good idea right there actually.
  8. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Not gonna lie, I came into this thread ready to dismiss such ideas as well, but then

And I immediately realized I was being negative for negativity sake. If it were added as an optional feature instead of a replacement of simply clicking a node, I would probably have some fun doing it myself as well.
  9. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

That's the spirit :) No need to override existing and well established features that ppl have gotten used to over the years, that's right, enhancing or adding to them via a separate thread is the way to go. Gotta respect the foundation and also reach for the stars at the same time. Mini games also often bring ppl together, could be beneficial for our huge and beautiful cities where ppl could meet up and do a few competetive or relaxing mini games together. Imagine a card game in a Qeynos inn, where ppl meet for a beer and some chicken + competetive card games like in Witcher 3 (Gwent) or Vanguard Saga of Heroes (diplomacy). Ouuuhhhh...
    Aterskia likes this.
  10. Gharyn Well-Known Member

How about this idea, along with the system I outlined above, have a big PQ styled fishing tournament, maybe once a year? Give titles, rewards for biggest fish, most fish caught, trophies for your home, etc. It would be like the holiday events, not mandatory, just attract people who are interested.
  11. Bludd Well-Known Member

no thank you :)

trapping minigame? mining minigame? wood chopping minigame? bush/root harvesting minigame?
  12. Chikkin Well-Known Member

as fun as it sounds I don't think they want players to clog servers just sitting in one spot fishing. Now, if the bait was a marketplace purchase... maybe? :rolleyes:
  13. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

That's a good Oceansfull idea.
    Sturmlocke and Aterskia like this.
  14. AOE1 Well-Known Member

Fishing in eq1 is more interesting than in eq2, imo. Sitting on the dock or even standing in water casting and getting an old boot was always interesting and after a short time you would have a bag of old boots to sell. Of course, at the time a bag only held 10 items. At least you felt like you were doing something. Although it took much longer to catch a fish but then tradeskills in eq1 were many times more difficult than in eq2.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  15. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Oh for sure, everything is better than just standing there. Tbh, I actually enjoy the idea of not having a fish on my hook every single time. Wouldn't mind getting a boot or dirty sock every now and then, makes it more interesting.

That said, FISH AI is also another subject that is important to me:

:)
  16. Eschia Mousehold New Member

I'd welcome this idea as alternatives to harvesting. We could have minigame alternatives to each type of node. Community Garden / House Garden where you plant seeds, chop down actual trees and watch out for falling branches, survey the land looking for the best areas to yield more minerals and stand there looking like you're digging the ground, etc. But the game has been around for ages, and I don't think they're going to innovate anymore. Kinda why I keep leaving for long periods and popping back in when I miss it.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  17. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

You know, the longer this thought sinks in, the more interesting ideas you guys are coming up with. I'd be for this one too, would make harvesting much more interesting for sure. I'm all in as long as it doesn't go the extreme survival game route ofc. IIRC gardening was actually added to a SWG Emu not long ago, all done by its dedicated fans and the ppl running the game now, and it does go super well with housing tbh and it gives ppl things to do besides questing and normal housing. Same goes for fishing ofc, I can already see a part of my house wall dedicated to all the things I have cought in the seas so far - OR - imagine being able to catch sea creatures only to put them into your house in a pond, huge aquarium or anything else where you have water for that matter. Then you could make another mini game out of this tamagotchi style by adding the option to feed and take care of your pets so they don't die from starvation. Stuff like this has proven itself to be a highly addictive feature before on several other occasions, ppl like having to take care of their pets even in virtual environments. Addiction is good in this case, bc it keeps ppl hooked to your world.

I do have faith in the powers that be though, if enough ppl get behind an idea like this that is. They have been innovative by trying crazy ideas before (SOEMote comes to mind rn), this one is no different, but I would recommend trying it out with let's say fishing first in order to see how ppl react to it.

[IMG]
  18. Laughing Owl Active Member

Personally while wouldn't oppose a (separate) fishing game, versus harvesting..

I would vote for a more roam about..... I would love to see the old "Rainbow / scrying stones" brought back (well added to higher zones) and update to actually have at least CHANCE of something useful. All of my old toons still have a stack of scrying stones, and when I ran across a rainbow was always a little excited and 'wonder what I will get'

Personally would love to see scrying stone, give Overseer style rewards (mostly junk like old scrying stones, but chance for Agents, missions, Trainers) (especially if it was LESS no trade, no value, most people trash when they get) items, even if just sold for 'most' of the cost of the scry stones..

Bonus (for me) would even change it into a full sub-system (like Overseers) and as you level up, you need 'better' (more expensive stones) but also can get higher tiers of things..... (and/or tier / tied to zone... so to get top tier reward chance, ahve to be cap level (treasure hunter), using top tier Scrying tools, and in top tier Zones...
    Dude likes this.