Firefox Plugin installed without permission.

Discussion in 'General Tech Support Questions' started by ARCHIVED-Bug, Jul 30, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-japanfour Guest

deadcrickets2 wrote:
    This isnt about me making my mind up, its about business ethics. Alot of business's do something intentional and call it a mistake later. SOE makes alot of "mistakes". How am I supposed to say " thats ok, I forgive you" every time? How do you expect me to believe that errors that could benefit or favor SONY in any way are just "mistakes"

Much like political groups, I cant convince you to see BOTH sides of this argument ( I see and understand yours, its just not my responsibility to accept mistakes or fogive anyone. This game takes my monthly payment, I should be able to expect minimal "mistakes" and be able to complain or question a company when mistakes are made, I can even not accept a mistake as an excuse too.)
    The fact that this is doing things to my PC without my permission is not just a "mistake" its a breach of trust in principle. Mistake or no mistake. If they fix it, problem solved. If not, they must accept the consequenses of their mistake.
  2. ARCHIVED-zehly Guest

I just wanted to thank you guys for the fun times I had reading this thread. I thought I was paranoid by sandboxing everything, running my own corporate grade routers with custom firewall rules, running a virtualized copy of Windows (and still sandboxing!). Sony already has my name, address, phone, email, credit card, and paypal account information. With data-mining, I'm sure they could tell how I filed my last 1040 and how much my brother makes a year. You're afraid of Sony? Look at Google, Apple, Microsoft, Yahoo, and Amazon. Be afraid of them. By the way, a "rootkit" (at least as the term was originally coined), is/was a "tarball" of files used by someone to obtain (and keep) UID 0 ("root") on a *IX system. Usually they are custom made by the person who uses them and for the OS variant they target. Pride was taken to have a well rounded set of tools/scripts/exploits/0-days in your tarball. Rootkits don't exist on Windows, because Windows doesn't have the same concept of "root" that *IX systems derive from. Did anyone see the space ship last night?
  3. ARCHIVED-krizani Guest

Edit: Removed by author
  4. ARCHIVED-mystiicall Guest

Uninstalling the game doesnt remove everything....
    Not sure how familuar you guys are with computers and their software that is developped by companies... but alot of times when you install a program their uninstall logic does not remove everything that was installed at a later date or even the same date that it was installed on. Lots of trace files are left intact and are not removed on the uninstall. If you do not like trace files on your computer and which in this case almost the whole game is left intact then stop installing software period. Any program that has an updater of its own doesn't always get logged in the uninstaller log and when you remove the piece of software anything that was updated will remain there because the file date and or size has changed and thinks that its a user added file. SOE should of had a better uninstall logic with this install but... they didnt w/e.

OMG ROOTKIT!!!!
    QQ more. Im sure there are tons of you out there that have viruses inactive and security holes in your operating system. You do realize that anyone that knows a decent ammount of networking and security could find a way into your system and use that for their advantage. Again... if you don't like the risk of the security holes in your computer then stop plugging the internet into it. SOE's addition of the crash dumps and the various drivers added to the installs are probable. Games launched via the web are a very likely cause of these files being added. The whole thing about monitoring torrents and downloads and etc I am kind of sceptical about... however I'm sure its just a complete software information gathering with a big list of files and etc. Again I highly doubt they are even using that information and just using the information to see what is causing the games to crash. They could theoretically capture your torrent information that you are downloading and use it to their advantage to take you to court for downloading illegal software... but that is yet another risk YOU are doing to your self in the first place. Don't like the risk stop downloading.

Taking everything out of context and overreacting to everything.
    Bug... Please uninstall your game and unsubscribe eq2. People like you is why the world is the way it is. PARANOIA! OMG THEY ARE ALL OUT TO GET ME!!!! Im sure the EQ2 community would be better off without you as I am sure you act the same in game. So sick of people whining all the time because they really do not know how things work they just assume the worst.
  5. ARCHIVED-krizani Guest

Edit: Removed by author
  6. ARCHIVED-Nokerri Guest

Ubergen@Crushbone wrote:
    +1
  7. ARCHIVED-Brigh Guest

Why did my one sentence remark about paranoia back in page 2 or 3 get removed by the over moderation here yet the above comments still remain?
    I truely am getting tired of these forums. They never used to be like this.
    The sentiment still stands though.
  8. ARCHIVED-Bug Guest

Brigh wrote:
    Damage control.
    Sony is now well aware of the fact that I found significantly more information then I have released here on their forums, or elsewhere for that matter. They also know I am about to go public with it, and in a such a way that they cannot do anything about it but sweep up the forums some. The cat is out of the bag, so to speak.
    When this forum thread is completely deleted altogether as I expect, Google the following:
    Sony-Rootkit-Exploit.rtf
    You'll get more answers there.
  9. ARCHIVED-Bug Guest

10. ARCHIVED-Brigh Guest

oh yea like that link will NOT be removed...
  11. ARCHIVED-Brigh Guest

Well I am surprised it was not removed, yet.

Once I linked to a NON-pirated media torrent website on another game company's forum and was perma banned after only just signing up and getting the game 3 months prior. No amount of reasoning through their forum email worked. JUST BECAUSE it was a torrent site for non-movies, non-games...what idiots. They have a zero tolerance policy for those other kinds of websites but due to ignorance, stupidity, and lack of common sense they refused to listen to me when I said that this site was not a pirated media website. I only linked to it since people or a person talked about something referring to the subject matter and I think the forum autolinked it. I only typed out the text dot text after the dot.
    Listen up ignorant people: Just because "torrents" are the subject doesn't mean = pirated media. Even game companies use torrents as an option to distribute patches.

Nothing that an alt email account couldn't handle but I lost the username. I am still boycotting their games though.