FG Quest exp seems set way too low

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Greene, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Lagerale Member

As I said, not the norm, especially for a TLE server like FG that hasn't been up all that long. 90% of the players don't have every collection available or the money to buy them right off. I said I didn't disagree it can happen, but to post you "leveled" to 27 in six hours is a lie, you bought your way to 27 in six hours through collections. Nothing wrong with that, but honestly it has zero to do with exp being to slow in quests (the topic you posted in).
    Mathafern, Vunder and Axiana like this.
  2. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

Some of you guys are talking about rolling alts fed gear and collections by existing mains with existing money... as if that's somehow the comparable to leveling a first main char on the server. Yea, if you have the gold to skip the first 10 levels and you don't have to actually use that new character to farm/quest for gear upgrades, then it will greatly speed up your progression. That's not even close to talking about the same thing.
    Mathafern and Lagerale like this.
  3. Greene Active Member

I'm actually a little surprised Collection Exp hasn't been nerfed yet. I mean it's been a known thing for every TLE server / RTT launch since, but usually they crack down on ways to quickly get exp or cash.

I quested in Zek for 3+ hours yesterday. The quests were of course way less running around than Nek, but a 30 minute PUG group in RE got me easily 5x the exp for 1/6th the time.

These are just my observations, I'm still having fun regardless :p
  4. Atan Well-Known Member

Yeah, we're the same people that leveled to 50 in less than a week without all that as well.

Would I be happier if the xp curve was 25% more forgiving? Probably as the grind is real. But at the same time, I'll run out of stuff to do before the next expac if it was reduced. I expect to have 6 characters to 50 before next expansion so that I have my pick of roles to play and do not have to try to 'catch up' 1-50 during a future expansion release.

I'm leveling them individually and not 'boxing' them all up as others, so it is far more grinding that I would prefer, but the time is there to get it done.
    Pixistik and Draknox like this.
  5. Ratza Well-Known Member

I did not play eq1....I'm sorry that I wasn't specific and state everquest2....but since we are talking about EQ2 and on the EQ2 forums I didn't think it necessary. ;)
  6. Zenji Well-Known Member

Glad you are having fun, that is the objective :)
    Leveling through questing was always vastly inferior to grouping in dungeons, until at least RoK.
    Flossie likes this.
  7. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

Sure, with a static group in empty dungeons buying pots and enough hours free of real life, anyone could cap out in a week; we are not talking about the same scenario. If my assumptions are wrong and you ground this out in pugs without the buying pots off the marketplace, by all means... let us know how many hours it took. "Days" is a useless metric since you could play 20 hours in a day where I might play 20 hours in a week.
    Mizgamer62 and Mathafern like this.
  8. Zenji Well-Known Member

It took me about 83 hours (over a 7 day period) in game time, with most of my grouping done through LFG chat. I did use about $50 worth of pots. Could have been faster since I stopped and did my lvl 20 AQs, some HQs and a few other odd ball quest while trying to put groups together.

I also did it with working 8 hrs a day for 4 of those 7 days. So having a job and RL responsibilities doesn't stop you from leveling fast.
    Flossie likes this.
  9. Atan Well-Known Member

I didn't record the played time when I hit 50, so can't say. I didn't have static groups either. The only advantage I had was 80% of my time was duo'd with my son's paladin and me on warlock. So we were very dependent on pugs. I did have about 8k SC left on my account when I restarted, and I bought a few pots. I quickly found vitality was a waste of money. Mostly I used the 89 cent potions, but I did get a few of the 100% 2 hour ones for when I had a stellar group.

I alternated 3-4 hours of dungeon grinding with 1-2 hours of heritage quests. I leveled trade-skilling when I waited for groups. I would guess it was ~20 hours to 50 the first time, but maybe it was 30, hard to say. I didn't max tradeskilling till earlier this week, but once I could make t5 arrows, I didn't really care about getting the last few levels.
  10. Lagerale Member

You missed my point, you were talking about questing and the name Everquest, my point was the QUEST part was never anymore then a cute name. EQ2 gave a ton more quests then EQ1, but doing quests alone won't get you to end game. At some point you need to grind to get exp but I guess "Evergrind" isn't a proper name.
  11. Bekkr Well-Known Member

I have a few characters on FG now, and my highest one is 29. And it doesn't worry me one bit, because I'm enjoying playing the game and interacting with other people.

I have never understood, and will never understand the desire to get through the majority of the content as fast as possible to hit max level.
  12. Atan Well-Known Member

It isn't the same game for everyone. I'm not satisfied until I've maximized whatever my character can do, ie got the highest dps parse possible, healed the most possible, done the most challenging thing in game. So for me, going slow is delaying the goal.

To each his own.
    Flossie likes this.
  13. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

It's all about what you want out of the game. On Stormhold I plowed through because I wanted to raid and get my signature raid weapon for each release. I missed out on other content and experiences as a result, but I was fine with that since I had different goals. This go around I'm playing way more casually and taking my time through things, basically the opposite of what I did before. They both have their appeal and thanks to the TLE reboot I got to play it both ways.
    Ruallin Ebonhammer likes this.
  14. Zenji Well-Known Member

Some people enjoy the race/competition for server first. It is just a different style of play.
    Flossie likes this.
  15. Elskidorr Active Member

I think all xp is too low. Maybe 40-50 should be steep but the rest is an overkill grind that will (Or has already) drive many away before getting leveled up. I'm coasting with a few hard grind nights here in there and I'm level 35. I have no doubt that I will be cap long before the expansion update at this rate, but the friends I joined with are still low 20's and losing interest with every level being more of a chore than fun. I've played a few TLPs on Everquest and they've never felt so brutal. EQ2 is more laid back and not typically grind heavy for casuals so the xp potion money grab is pretty off-putting. Not the EQ2 I remember retiring from years back.
    Mathafern and Mizgamer62 like this.
  16. Medicinal Active Member

I find myself less and less inclined to log on and grind. I am in the mid 30s with my little duo and have almost completely lost interest. It just takes too long to go from one fun thing to the next. I managed to grind 4 toons to max level on Phinny, so I am no stranger to a grind. This one just isn't any fun. I mean. I got quest rewards two weeks ago that is still can't wear because I haven't ground out the 5 levels I needed to get to that point. It is pretty unfun.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  17. Zenji Well-Known Member

If you don't have the play time to get 5 levels in 2 weeks, then this server may not be the right fit for you.
  18. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

I think it is ironic and a bit insincere for players who have admitted to using potions to level to tell other players that don't use potions that there is nothing wrong with the rate of xp gain, because if they really believed that, they wouldn't have used potions themselves.
    Mathafern likes this.
  19. Medicinal Active Member

I have the playtime. But not the inclination. The grind is boring. For what it is worth I did get 5 tradeskill levels 3 regular levels and did all my own harvesting in that time. The combat grind is just not appealing enough to make me want to log on and do it. You are right. It is probably. It the right game for me. Which is why I have left.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  20. Zenji Well-Known Member

That is absolutely ridiculous, and not true. Spending money to get to 50 faster does not mean that XP rates are bad, it means I wanted to get to 50 ASAP. Not spending $ to get to 50 faster does not mean you are ok with the XP rates, it means you either do not have extra income to spend on it, or do not think the increase level rate is worth spending money on. All of which are totally fine.

What is not ok, is that some one who spend so little time in game that they can't get 5 levels in two weeks, thinks that experience rates should be adjusted to better suit them. In your 30s a level with no XP pots and no Vit, may take a couple hours. If you don't play 10 hours in 2 weeks, you are not the type of player that the game should be adjusted to. Not to mention if you only play 5 hours a week you are leveling with vitality for the majority of it.