Feyiron and indium.....the new rares?

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Thunderthyze, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Thunderthyze Guest

The subject pretty much says it all.
    As a result of the combination of:
    1. Harvest node location design at these tiers
    2. Relative occurrence of gem/ore nodes at these tiers
    3. Relative usage of these raws by the relevent tradeskill classes
    4. Increased xp gain meaning more and more people are needing these for their higher level crafters
    These "common" raw harvests have become pretty rare. Is it possible someone could look into the mechanics with a view to make the harvestables pop more in line with population usage as a whole.
    One guy on Runnyeye has cornered the market in indium and has the entire stock priced at 1g a pop. For someone who harvests rather than buys this has a knock on annoyance as more people seem to be harvesting tiers...cherry picking as they go. Maybe the phenomenon will stop when the harvesting world event gets iced, that doesn't help either...lol
  2. ARCHIVED-WeatherMan Guest

Yah, I've noticed the difficulty of getting these harvests - this weekend, I managed to steam my tailor through Tier 5 with raws that I have been slowly accumulating over the last several months, as I refuse to pay the gougers their wallet-sodomizing prices for these metals. Now I get to do the same with Tier 6. So I'll have ten more levels of Tailoring in...oh...six months or so.

Why so long? The character's tradeskill level is about 20 levels ahead of the adventure level. Getting munched by uber mobs wouldn't bother me if I could finish the harvest, but the idiot mechanics won't let me finish what I'm doing, and force me to respond to fights I can't win, anyways ( and thus forfeiting the harvest ). So the character has to tread carefully when harvesting. But I would rather take several weeks/months extra time than fork over plat to broker-fed extortionists. Extremely patient or tight-fisted miser, I'll accept either label.

And yes, the harvesting quests for the guild halls are, by their very nature, encouraging cherry-picking. I have overcome this somewhat by using the Eternal Gorge instance ( accessed at the top of Zarvon's Tower ) with level 30+ characters, and spamming Tier 3 harvests ( usually lumber ). Fortunately, this should improve when the quest goes away.

But I have learned to take cherry-pickers with a grain of salt - most are not doing it to be deliberately rude, simply inconsiderate of any other players ( i.e. I genuinely believe that it simply does not occur to these people how rude other people view this sort of behavior to be ). That, and I honestly think very few of them have seen the neat doodads that Duggan Brandywine offers for harvesting foodstuffs (or that these quests even exist) - I thought this was a brilliant idea. Neat trinkets or cheaply-sold raws, a win-win situation. Wish more people knew about these quests.
  3. ARCHIVED-ashen1973 Guest

This topic comes up time and time again, it gets to feel like we are flogging that dead horse.
    But, something needs addressing here
    I know there have been changes harvesting but nothing so far has had much of an effect.
    To highlight the issue, here is the cost of lvl 50-59 raws on the Splitpaw market currently
    (I know a lot of people will have bought rares this weekend , to make use of the double-xp. But, if all things where equal, for all tradeskills, then surely all raws should have increased by the same rate?)

Beryllium 14c
    Nacre 70c
    Soluble loam 4s
    Sandalwood 12s
    Indium 45s
    Stonehide pelt 50s
    Succulent root 1g65s
  4. ARCHIVED-Thunderthyze Guest

Kalyyn@Splitpaw wrote:
    Fortunately the roots aren't really an issue for the experienced harvester. Pick up the quest from TS docks (assuming you don't have a provvy that can use them) and locust harvest the oases. I can quite easily get a stack of 200 of lumber, pelts and roots by doing this for an hour (assuming there are no cherry pickers around taking advantage of my work) AND you get a reward from the halfling that you can put up for sale on the broker at ridiculous prices.
    No.....at T6 the ore nodes ARE an issue as there are really no high concentrations of them in the same way you get at T7.
    At T4 it seems you just get very few ore nodes popping even when clearing an area...and when you do you always end up harvesting loams.
  5. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Holymoly@Runnyeye wrote:
    If you are of high enough level to be non-agro to mobs in Lesser Faydark, there is a cave with dozens of ore and stone nodes. I clear from one end to the other, wait a minute or two and they start respawning.
  6. ARCHIVED-Vanderlay Guest

Why don't we just put a 100 nodes at the end of the docks for you then...
    It's people complaining about stupid things like the lack of ore nodes and such that this game is truly becoming a children's game.
    Get off of your lazy butts and go level a character up so the mobs are non-aggro to you so you can harvest what you need to. This is how it was done at game launch and should remain this way as the game progresses.
  7. ARCHIVED-psistorm Guest

Vanderlay wrote:
    This is what I have done, actually. I have a lvl 46 necro / tailor atm, who had no trouble whatsoever harvesting more than enough roots for her T4 crafts. However my alt is an armorer, mostly crafting, and it took me days of farming the starter zones of EL to get mats to get enough T4 mats. with feyiron at 50s per cluster, buying sure wasnt an option.
    And when anyone else harvests there, they either cherry pick, or contest the area I picked out, or they are a lvl 60+ char who cant be bothered to walk the extra dist to the ^^^ heroic mobs, where i simply CANT GO to grab mats, because Id have my rear handed to me in no time, whilst they wouldnt see any aggro whatsoever. when that happens, it takes me more than THREE FULL HOURS of harvesting to even get 150 feyiron. which wont be enough for a single level...
    I agree that something needs to be done, because it seems fulginate ore is about to be just as rare, whereas ashen roots arent so much of a problem. This imbalance has come up so often, it needs a fix. Im not crying for 100 nodes at the docks, but some kind of counterbalance would be much appreciated, such as more overall nodes and a higher chance for ore clusters to pop. it simply needs a fix, because T4/5 are just plain hell for armorers. weaponsmiths not so much, because of cheaper recipes, but armorer... I was glad once i dinged 40. it was a chore, no more, no less. a chore. not fun or enjoyable. I spent a week or so harvesting on and off, delaying my own progress. crafting shouldnt hold back adventuring that much, in my opinion
  8. ARCHIVED-ostonao Guest

The Guildhall building event has completly destroyed the market for both rares and non rares.
    noone puts up non rares for sale anymore as they go to the quest giver, but since more people harvest the market is flooded with rares and since the harvesting live event went live prices for some of the rares have dropped by more than 50%.
  9. ARCHIVED-Finora Guest

I've done quite a bit of harvesting. And while I occassionallycomplain (t6! & EOF harvesting in general) for the most part I have no issue getting the raws I need with whichever character that is requiring them. Even t8 stuff with my lower level (had my lvl 47 ranger running around harvesting for her tailoring & for working faction for the epic a few days ago).
    T6 is a problem simply because of the # of nodes. It's much less of a problem now than before since people are spending less time in that tier. I didn't have an issues running around Sinking Sands with my lvl 37 berserker though harvesting ore for various reasons, agro isn't a problem (if you watch what you are doing). The solution I would propose for that is add t6 nodes to the Isle of Mara.
    The guild hall harvesting has invited cherry picking. Ive been doing it myself, which is not something I normally do, simply because it seemed equally rude for me to take everything when there might be someone coming behind me to do the harvesting quest for one of the other ones. I have been getting the Duggin quests with it so I harvest dens & shrubs as well as whichever guildhall quest I have at the moment.
    However, the guildhall constructer doesn't take the raws. You still have them in your inventory, so that has had zero effect on the non-rare market.
    And I say to anyone who says they can't get back to the nightblood area to harvest with a low level character...you aren't trying. I had a level 11 warlock(very squishy) running around their harvesting with no issues years ago. Annoying to have to do so when there is the nice practically no agro area right near the docks, but people are in general lazy, you do what you have to do get what you need.
  10. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

Holymoly@Runnyeye wrote:
    You cannot "corner the market" on any substance which can be obtain independent of going to that supplier.

Indium = T6.

Off the top of my head:
    Sinking Sands - Croc caves
    PoF - by gobbies and giants (basically by rocks)
    L'Fay - mushroom caves and around other rocky areas

Yes, the nodes are shared with the other mining node types. So, take the gem/soft metal quest from the guild hall builder and make use of both.
  11. ARCHIVED-Liljna Guest

Finora@Everfrost wrote: Finora in white, I write in red
    Ah, nice dead horse flogging. Has it turned into glue yet?
  12. ARCHIVED-psistorm Guest

I agree that the nightblood area is manageable. though I tend to stick to the docks mostly, or travel the briarpaw/wasp area when the spot is taken, which is also very manageable for me, and doesnt entail painful death if Im not careful for once (although by now the issue is alleviated somewhat, after I got deathly pallor). However what I dont get is when lvl 50+ players decide to farm the dock area 2 or 3 at a time, with all the northern area - which is absolutely harmless to them - available to them. I once even saw a lvl 80 farming the safe zone out of sheer laziness, though it turned to impoliteness when i asked him to at least move to a nearby heroic area of the zone, because I cant go there, simple as that, a request which was simply ignored.
    Also, keep in mind that its almost impossible to get to the back of enchanted lands without some kind of stealth or invis, youre bound to run into some heroic encounters on the way, due to the small paths. And even then, navigating between the many insta-death mobs is probably more than most players want to risk, for fear of having to trek back all over again from the docks.

edit: as for plentiful ore on Runnyeye: that might be runnyeye, but try getting ore on crushbone. 50s a cluster, and when I have the harvesting area at EL docks all to myself and clear it out all the time, I average about 50 to 60 clusters per hour. given how you need two hundred clusters to make a level in t4, approximately, that would be 1500 to 2000 clusters, so 30+ hours of nothing but farming. even if its only 1000 clusters for T4 (which is undershooting it, my tailor used way more), its still 20 hours of solid farming, assuming noone else contests your nodes.
  13. ARCHIVED-Thunderthyze Guest

Vanderlay wrote:
    LOL.....way to over react
    What I am commenting on is the mechanic that allows certain tiers to have all nodes in one spot, others where the nodes pop roughly equally and, finally, others that seem to have a complete imbalance which can be further exascerbated by cherry pickers.
    To answer your suggestion.....I have been harvesting way longer than you have been in this game...and judging from the date on your account I would doubt if you were around at game launch to comment on condtions then?
  14. ARCHIVED-Thunderthyze Guest

Rijacki wrote:
    LOL...of course you can. You select an item....decide on the price you want to peg to and buy up everything that is brokered under that price. Pretty soon you have what this guy has......2.5k indium clusters priced at a gold.
  15. ARCHIVED-Chaly Guest

The guildhall thing has been pointed out, so I'll just reiterate that point. It took tons of harvestables out of circulation. Also, the ZOMGTHAT'SALOTOFXPBONUS weekend had everybody who has a tradeskiller out tradeskilling. The smart ones bought up a lot of supplies during the week and were ready to go. The unscrupulous ones cornered the market on the rest. I've done it myself in the past; it's a great way to make coin if you time it right. It should go back to what it was within a week. Now, whether that was something in need of addressing ... maybe, maybe not. People cherrypick. Ores and roots have always been the big sellers on the market. I don't see that ever changing, so there will always be an incentive to cherrypick. Cove of Decay still decent for farming Feysteel/iron with a higher level toon?
  16. ARCHIVED-Noaani Guest

Holymoly@Runnyeye wrote:
    See, I am actually hoping they leave these quests in, or alter them slightly and make them a form of permanant harvesting writ (no faction, crafting scociety faction, adventure guild faction, new faction, I don't care).
    However, I agree that something would need to be done about the state of harvesting in T6 particularly if this were to happen (T4 has instanced harvesting for those having trouble with feyiron).
    The issue for me is in the lack of harvesting areas for T6, as there are only 3 overland zones for this level range, and no instances. Of those overland zones, 2 are done in a system that was obviously far from refined, and seemed to have little to no thought put into the number of individual nodes placed. This leaves only Lfay as an actual good harvesting area.
    There are really only 3 solutions that I can think of to fix this, none of the solutions to this are particularly easy for Domino, or any other devs.
    The first is to add in another T6 overland zone. This is unlikely, although they have only put in 2/3 of the Isle of Ro in the game so far.
    The second is to redo the node spawn locations of all nodes in DoF, this is also unlikely.
    The third is to add in some T6 instanced harvests. This is possible, but obviously not for 4 months or so. A crafting specific quest that takes you into an instance with 2 dozen or so T6 harvest nodes would be something I would love to see (The Cauldron Hollow is probably one of the more unused zones that would be appropriate for this).
    If the harvesting quests were kept on live they would see a lot less use than they are seeing now, as the people running them now are after the title, if they were left on the reward would be only status.
  17. ARCHIVED-Liljna Guest

psistorm wrote:
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that just because there is lots on RE, all other servers have lots. Servers differ in how hey 'work', so the patterns are of course different.

The reason I mentioned Runnyeye, is because I and the OP are on the same server, Runnyeye. I should probably have made it more clear, that I was merely trying to show another persons view of the same server.

OP can't find any t4 ore, and I can find plenty. Why we see things differently, I can't say. We play in the same time area (I often see Holy, nice enough fellow btw), and I can physically see lots of ore nodes. Perhap I just smell better for an ore node?

edit: btw, when you say cluster, do you mean 1 ore cluster or 1 mat? I ask, because I simply can't understand why your tailor used more than 1000 ores for t4. So I figured you perhaps called 1 mat for 1 cluster?
  18. ARCHIVED-Thicket Tundrabog Guest

Guild hall harvesting quests are gone on Test Server. If it goes live, say goodbye to this common harvest sink.
  19. ARCHIVED-habby2 Guest

Noaani wrote:
    DoF is one of the easiest places to load up on resources, as it was the first on to not have random spawn for all resources, so all you have to do is figure out where they spawn, and that's the only thing that will spawn in that area. There's 2 different places in SS where you only get stones that I know of off the top of my head, and the circuit is such as they're starting to respawn at the beginning as you're finishing the end, and although not hugely plentiful, there are approx 10-15 nodes in the one area that you can get with no worries on aggro.
  20. ARCHIVED-drasklin Guest

I understand the situation but fail to see the problem. If you want feyiron just keep going in and out of CoD without killing anything. There are a lot of t4 nodes and they respawn every time you zone and no one else can harvest. As far as Indium goes there are a lot of nodes by the wall in SS. You can harvest several at low levels and the rest if you're like 42 plus. I rarely have a problem getting any of these raws and just recently leveled a 40 adventure level to a 70 armorer with no difficulty.
    The game isin't boken in this regard, you just need to get creative and solve the problems with initiative.