Few catch up questions

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Laraden, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Laraden Member

Hi! I recently (about a month ago) came back to eq2, rerolled a new swashie to relearn the game. I've worked my way up to 119, working through the CD time-line atm. Been doing all the research I can but few things I haven't found out so gonna ask here to clarify.

OK first infusing. I've heard it's required and sort of understand the process but are the caps for Stat raises independent? So for example if I max out potency via items, can I raise cb as well? Or only x Stat increases per item?

Also on infusion I have read people recommending crafting infuser from pop and CD to catch up. No problem with grinding a bit to catch up but.. Where do I get the recipes and what type of crafting is it, if it matters?

Also on crafting side. Ascension upgrades. I hear they are craft able. I'm a jewel crafter, can I make my upgrades or do I need to find someone or roll an alt? Again where are the recipes?

On this weapon break down and level up system, can I use old expac weapons to raise newer ones in "level"? I've been holding onto weapons from pop and CD just in case I can use them to upgrade my future bol weapons but wanna make sure I'm not wasting space.

Familiars. I've gotten two fabled Familiars from the quest. D-20 and fire quacker are names iirc. Second is the duck wearing a wizard hat if I have name wrong. I've also been holding onto all my spare ones just in case there's a better one as quest reward. Of those two should I just level one, and which? Or is it better to just raise the crafting one I've heard you get from CD? I don't have it yet so don't know what it does. I have about 40 low teir duplicate Familiars I could feed into one and the level up potions from panda.

Any older quests that'd be recommended I go back and do?

Appreciate any help I get, thanks all!
    SynergyBlaize likes this.
  2. Avithax Well-Known Member

Do all the panda quests, some good rewards there however many were rendered useless when they changed they orange runes.

Ascension upgrades can be crafted by Sages. Some tiers only require easily obtained mats but some require illegible scrolls. (Adept, Master, Ancient and celestial).

Infuser recipes are gotten via the TS quests usually, the Anchorage has a chance to drop the CD one and they all require salvaged mats from items within their respective expansions. Begin with Deity infusing (Diety window under the eq2 menu) click the icon at the top to swap over and drag/drop the item to be infused, this only requires plat. Deity infusing will raise all 4 types of infusions at once while manually applying dropped/crafted infusers has to be done 1 at a time Potency/CB/Stamina/Abil Mod.

Planar leveling weapons is the real money pit. Once you have the ability to break down weapons to essences it takes 500 per item to raise it to max level. Generally this means crafting 500 mastercrafted weapons from the tier you're upgrading and extracting the planar essences. This means you'll want to raise your rare harvest chance as high as possible and possibly make a level 120 weaponsmith, jeweler or woodworker.

Familiars......Ugh. I personally raised my Harvesting familiar to level 10 first and then worked on my fighting familiar. XP for them is not easy to come by but you can get a familiar per day doing the "Familiars Wild" quests every day. Delete the quest if it gives you a hard to find type of creature and you can pick it up again immediately for a chance at easier mobs. I personally prefer insects (Antonica), simians (Kunzar Jungle druid ring) and drakes Darklight Woods) but everyone has their own preference. I also mentor down when I pick up the quest as it's far easier to body pull lower level mobs than trying not to 1 shot them.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

It appears to be per stat. You can't easily see what's happening with it in-game, but if you look yourself up on EQ2U and then hover over a piece of gear you have infused, you will be able see the exact numbers that have been applied to the various layers.

See also Equipment Infusing on the wiki, it goes into some detail on infusing.

The answer is "it depends". The earliest infuser recipes were Provisioner-made. The article linked above has a section on Infuser Stats that lists the name of the specific recipe book in the table beside the various infusers.

I start with Twark handcrafted infusers, made by a Provisioner from a recipe you get from the goblins in Obulus, Bloody Tooth Provisioning Essentials. These are cheap to produce because they use common materials.

PoP crafted infusers are from Reconstructed Planar Infusers and may be crafted by any Artisan. However for some reason, there are no PoP Crit Bonus infuser recipes available. The recipe book dropped from a few Heroic names, but you could also get it from doing the harvesting and crafting missions. It's NO-TRADE (grrr!) so you can't get it on the broker.

CD infuser recipes are from Reconstructed Celestial Infusers and, like the PoP infuser recipes, are Artisan-made. The book is also NO-TRADE (double grrr!). This book could drop from both Solo and Heroic instance names, and you could get it doing harvesting and crafting missions. I also think we were getting them from the Anchorage crafting missions.

Jewelers had the Geomancer recipes originally, but with Chaos Descending, Sages got all the recipes in their Advanced books. I'd just ask in the Crafting channel for someone who can craft for you, or else /who all Sage 110 120 then contact sages that seem to be standing around in their guildhalls and see if any can craft for you.

Yes, the older Weapons Essences still work. But note that PoP essences level a few points, CD essences do about 10x as much, and BoL do even more. I see no reason to not smash the weapons for the Weapons Essences, that way they at least stack neatly, then use the little ones first.

If you preordered CD or BoL, try /claim, you may have an even better Familiar there.

Otherwise, open their examine windows side by side and see exactly what each one does. It's just like comparing equipment, you have to see what effects each one gives, and decide which is better. When you have decided on your favorite familiar, then feed the spares to it to level it.

I work on leveling only two familiars: the best one for adventuring and the best one for crafting/harvesting. Right now for me, that's The Eyeless One from BoL Preorder, and the Mischievous Beasty from the Anchorage questline.

It really depends on you. If you are interested in lore and such, the old Signature Lines have a lot of the story.

There are some Heritage Quests that I always do. Get Hadden's Fishbone Earring: you put it on as you start your day's adventuring and click USE, then take it off, and you have water breathing all day. If you have had an alt on one of the TLE servers, have them do the Manastone HQ, then on Live, visit the Inheritance Merchant in the harbor of Qeynos or Freeport and get the upgraded Manastone.

Doing the Chaos Descending signature line gets you your Epic 2.0 spells , so I'd suggest that.
    Breanna and Momo like this.
  4. Caela Well-Known Member

I have just ignored the weapons essence thing... I see the description on my weapon, but never knew what to do.

So I smash all the useless weapons I've been getting? (geeze, I've been transmuting them!). By "smash" what do you mean? Salvage???? I have that ability, I've just never used it.
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Raff Well-Known Member

Caela, there is a short quest at the vendor in the Colisseum by the floating red lightning symbol. You can access it in Myrist also at the Services portal (2nd floor)...I think..one of the portals in that section of the library anyway. Only takes a few minutes and it will give you the planar leveling skill (I keep mine on my bar) which will let you break down extra primary & secondary items.

In CD, it took increments of 10 to planar level weapons & offhands. You could also make MC gear to level them quicker. They've made BoL quite a bit more difficult. And MC gear is to expensive to use like that, imo.

Enough so that I'm experimenting with a 2H this xpac as it uses increments of 20 to planar level in BoL. And a 2H weapon only needs one level set.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Weapons salvaging is its own skill. You learn it in the Coliseum of Valor. Across from the banker there's a big hanging red/flaming symbol thing, and that's the portal to the chamber where you learn the skill. There's also a posrtal for it in Myrist Library. You do have to speak to an NPC, she sends you into the chamber and teaches you how to do weapons infusing.
  7. Caela Well-Known Member

Thank you! I had no idea....
  8. Avithax Well-Known Member

LOL sorry, but this is the statement of the year if you're getting into raising the level of your weapons. Harvesting Ad nauseam for rares to make 500 weapons to extract essences and the second you're done you will loot an upgraded weapon to start all over with. Plus if you happen to wear two 1 handed weapons you get to do it double the amount of times that 2 handed using classes do.
  9. Raff Well-Known Member

Its just another time sink that will allow you to improve your stats. Quite appealing to those of us who would rather harvest their way to gear upgrades rather than running solo dungeons endlessly. I get that some hate harvesting...feel much the same about crafting myself.
  10. Caela Well-Known Member

How many essences do you need to apply for 1 level?

Edit - oh never mind, I need to read better.... It was already answered.