Feedback on new AA window

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Arcturys, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Arcturys Member

Sometimes it just feels like the devs don't stop and think about what kind of impact some changes will have on their customers.

To me, the average player, it looks like nothing really changed with the AA window except the appearance. All the AAs are still there. I didn't find anything different. So why did it require us to redo all of our AAs again? What's different behind the scenes, if anything?

Does the new window look cool? Sure. I like it. But does it look cool enough to warrant spending the 8-10 or more hours (probably an underestimation) I will have to waste redoing the AA for every single one of my characters? Not by a long shot. I'm hoping there was a more significant and hidden change that required resetting our AA, because that's a lot of wasted time if this was merely aesthetic and not truly justified and necessary.

I'm going to be spending most of the first couple of days of the new xpac just going through every one of my toons doing the mind-numbingly boring task of resetting everything back the way it was - and I have to do this before I can even play the characters. Did the devs even think about these ramifications beforehand? It doesn't feel like it sometimes. Was there no way to implement these changes without forcing us to go through this experience yet again?

On an unrelated note, did anyone else log in to the forums and find everything was reset? It asked me for a display name (I've been posting on the EQ forums for over a decade and EQ2 forums for over two years as Arcturys), and I just got an alert for posting my first message. Huh?
  2. Regolas Well-Known Member

Can you use mirrors to quickly bring back a saved one? Or are they now broken?
  3. Endara Member

Don't we now have separate adventuring and tradeskill AAs? Or is that change still coming?

And the forums have just been rebuilt with a new CMS.
  4. Arcturys Member

Ah okay, I didn't realize that. Thanks, Endara.

As for AA mirrors, I've only gotten one for one character because I was using it for switching between AA setups. Most of my other characters don't get played enough (let alone in diff roles) to justify one, so I never bothered for them. Never really thought of it purely for backup purposes, although I guess I should've after the last time they kept resetting our AA.

However, ZAM did state in an article they weren't sure if AA mirrors would work to restore our settings after today's update - presumably because they also weren't sure what the behind-the-scenes changes were that required resetting our AA in the first place, and whether that would interfere with the data the AA mirror saved.

If the mirrors DO work, at least one of my characters won't have to go thru all of this mishigas again.
  5. Feldon Well-Known Member

On October 29, 2012, we backed up the AAs (and Prestige points) for every character that has ever been looked up on EQ2U. We then backed up nearly every level 90-92 character just to be sure. All told, we backed up over 400,000 characters.

Just head over to EQ2U (you don't even have to have an account) and Search for your character. Then click on the AA tab. Odds are, we have a backup of your AAs which you can use to guide you in spending your AAs. Tell a friend. ;)

Worried About the AA Reset? EQ2U Has You Covered
  6. Wurm Well-Known Member

I like the new window. I like the new AA choices and even though I did save my pre expansion AA build with a mirror, screenshots and at EQ2U I decided to try something new anyway.

Now if they would only add a erase mirror function to the game, everything would be golden.
  7. Arcturys Member

Holy hell, Feldon. You guys are amazing! Okay well I already knew you were amazing, but this time I need a cigarette and I don't even smoke.

I did manage to find 4 of my 12 toons on your tool with their AA allocations. Granted only 10 of my toons were 90+, so I lost 6 basically. Still, that's better than I thought I would've had access to. How in the world did you guys set that up?

Thanks very much, both for the heads up and for being such a great EQ2 player resource (and for letting me ***** on your articles from time to time). ;)
  8. Feldon Well-Known Member

Dethdlr spent quite a few hours making sure we got copies of everything. :) If you sign up for an account on EQ2U and add all you characters, we'll have backups for next time. :)
  9. Alenna Well-Known Member

Thank you Feldon and please thank Dethdlr for doing this looks like I have all but my latest toons AAs and since they are young no problem. it was easy to reset my 4 92s so now working on the other 17 LOL