Farewell Norrath

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Avithax, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Almee Well-Known Member

I hope you are able to find another game you and your wife enjoy playing, Avithax. I tried several games, when the this game was unplayable, but wasn't able to find one that had the scope and depth of EQII. I tried really hard to like the other games but there just wasn't the chemistry there. As much as EQII drives me nuts, I love the pre-100 game and always have more things to do than time to do them. There are even parts of the post-100 game that I enjoy, and I dabble in them on occasion, which is why I try to always have a group of level characters even if they are generally sidelined and only sporadically played in 100+ zones. Best of luck on your new adventures. And as others have said, you can always come back if you miss us :).
    Siren, Xevran and Geroblue like this.
  2. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

He must mean he cleared challenge content on another toon because that one didnt even clear the easy difficulty heroic dungeons, let alone any challenge raids
  3. AOE1 Well-Known Member

Reading the mess on the update notes today, I am seriously thinking that my years here is over as well. BoL never got better. I do not log in to sit lfg for hours on end. I solo because I like to solo and they are stripping that away. The update notes make NO sense to me and I don't know that I want to spend time trying to figure that mess out. I totally think that if I did understand that mumbo jumbo it would probably be broken anyway and most never get fixed But there is no point in going over all that again. It has all been said multiple times before by most everyone. I won't be getting the new xpac and will stop my sub when this one ends. Between EQ1 and EQ2 and other odd (now gone) SONY games, DB and whoever it is now, they have gotten enough of my money and time. There are other games out there that don't and haven't abandoned their 'casual' players who spend hours and hours and money out the butte to play solo but are totally left out. I completely expect the flames to follow my post because 'it is what it is'' and they cannot help themselves by allowing others to think differently without flaming. For those who enjoy this mess, great. I wish you many hours of continued frustrating happiness.
    Wulfgyr and Almee like this.
  4. Bianqa BIANQA - Fury Halls of Fate

I am truly sorry for everyone who's felt left out and frustrated. I wish you all the best in your game life wherever you end up.

Personally, I keep coming back for the companionship of my guildies. While it doesn't have to happen everyday, we do get a sense of accomplishment when we work together to overcome difficult challenges. Admittedly, the game seems to have been narrowed down to be enjoyable by groups at the expense of soloists. I used to be a die hard solo player. Like anything else in life, I had to adapt to the changes. The current state of the game required me to group and guild up and I'm happy I did. If we ever do lose EQ2 my hope is to travel to another world with our current guild.

It's common knowledge DPG are working with far fewer resources than they used to have. I'd bet narrowing their focus was necessary and, I think they were smart to do so.

Also, I do spend money on the game. It helps pay their bills and my entertainment budget isn't being spent on anything else right now so I'm ok with it going to DPG.
    Geroblue, Almee and Breanna like this.
  5. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I still solo/molo, I just have to watch out from time to time and not get in more than knee deep in trouble.
    Shaie and Siren like this.
  6. Miroh Well-Known Member

Yeah, the game is losing players in their attempt to make money. I don't understand why they can't really come together and talk to players to make something that just draws in people but instead they are bleeding the name dry for every cent. But what do I know, Im just a clueless player.
    AOE1, Xevran, Kheldar and 1 other person like this.
  7. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

The devs have to find the right balance.

If EQ2 does not make enough revenue, the game goes "bankrupt" and sunsets.

If EQ2 loses too many players, then they don't make enough revenue (by the numbers).

They need to find the right balance in order to keep the lights on.

Moorgard (former EQ2/Vanguard dev, current WoW Narrative Head) said Vanguard was sunset after players stopped buying crates. He said microtransactions (cash shop or crates) are a viable revenue model for games with smaller player bases.

In contrast, I was watching a EQ1 TLP stream and a player on Aradune TLP had 2165 Kronos. I'm sure EQ1 will be fine for the foreseeable future. I believe WoW is even trying to copy the EQ TLP revenue model by hiring Holly and Prathun.
    Vulnere likes this.
  8. Miroh Well-Known Member

Maybe they need to look at what is going on with eq1 because it seems like eq1 is more lively. I feel eq2 has been slowly losing the player base for a long time. Server merges started with Kingdom of Sky which was a year and a half after release. Echoes of Faydwer. Brought about another round. Did Ruins of Kunark bring more? I don't know after that because I left after I hit lvl 80 for a long break. I just don't see how subpar content mixed with a Pay to Win mechanic is the way to make revenue. There probably isn't any way to change the course that the game is taking at this point, but we can let our feelings be made known for the next game they come out with.

Oh, and Vanguard is no more. So micro-transactions didn't help it out enough. When it comes down to it, content is what keeps a game alive. Good content to be exact.
  9. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Yes, EQ1's Aradune Server holds 1500-2000 players on a consistent basis. Each EQ1 Live server holds around 500-1000 online at any given time.

After listening to Moorgard (who has no bone here), the theory behind microtransactions is that it is a sort of necessary evil for games with smaller player bases because it offers an outsized/disproportionate pie of revenue instead of relying on monthly subs.

The changes to item infusing and leveling may be a precursor to following the EQ1 itemization model (standardized sets of gear with focus on augments/adornments for stat improvement).
  10. Miroh Well-Known Member

But yet you used him for the argument.
  11. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

It is an argument drawn from authority. He was describing revenue models as it applies to gaming broadly. He was a former EQ2 and Vanguard dev who now works at WoW. He doesn't have an interest in EQ2's current state or decision making.
  12. Miroh Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:
    parissa, Xevran and Snikkety like this.
  13. Jamzez Active Member

It was very disheartening when Azaliil interviewed Jchan the head of the company and she acted like she has no clue or give's a rat's *** with how everquest 2 is run or even care's what the dev team is doing to the game.
    AOE1 likes this.
  14. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

I am not sure if we watched the same interview. Lots of people said they were pleasantly surprised by the interview and many can judge for themselves.

www.twitch.tv/averylovingrobot

One major note, Jennifer Chan said she has a good relationship and works closely with Ji Ham (CEO of Daybreak). If anything, you can thank Jennifer Chan for her lobbying efforts to perhaps get additional funding for EQ2.
  15. Melt Actually plays the game

This is one of those "believe it when I see it" moments. I'm not gonna go down on one knee and praise someone for something that likely hasn't happened.
    AOE1 likes this.
  16. Miroh Well-Known Member

Benito will always have something to disagree with. Thats why I found the best emoji of an eyeroll I could and left it at that.
    Xevran, Kheldar and Breanna like this.
  17. Jamzez Active Member

I was also under the impression when Holly was still around that Darkpaw was actively working on a new beginning for the franchise, they really scrapped EQNext and Landmark just to keep making expansion's and new TLE server's every year. No wonder all the talent is leaving for greener pasture's.
    AOE1 likes this.
  18. Jamzez Active Member

I still think Landmark was better spent money then the past 4 expanion's for Eq2, It's just like buying the same car every year just a different paint job.
  19. parissa Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say goodbye and wish you two the best... Hope you guys find a game that makes you happy... Or after a break you might find your way back into norrath... Maybe the other side of Luclin will draw you back in when it finally appears... Sorry your good bye thread got derailed...
    Xevran, Geroblue and Breanna like this.
  20. Almee Well-Known Member

I was under the impression DP was raking in the money. I haven't seen a sale in quite awhile. Usually companies have sales when money starts to dry up so I'm guessing DP is doing alright in that department.