Far Seas Supply Faction - random question

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Domino, Feb 11, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-xeyda Guest

Yeah. Good to know that just because I don't have max ally with one particular crafting faction, that came well AFTER the other factions, I am not a "serious" crafter.

Yay elitism.
  2. ARCHIVED-Maroger Guest

I have 9 level 80 crafters but none have Ally with Far Seas Supply - why? Too much of a grind for very little reward. I did the TS grind for Kunark faction to get the books which were worth -- can't face another grind. Too many TS grinds in this game -- they need to be reduced or the faction with each mission has to be higher - you don't want to spend months getting something you might use only once or twice.
  3. ARCHIVED-Valdaglerion Guest

DominoDev wrote:
    I just dont see the problem with putting this at Ally personally, the faction has been around for over a year and takes less than a day of writ grinding to obtain. If you havent spent 8 hours in the last 13 or so months working on your faction, it isnt that important to you so why should you be rewarded now?
    If this is going to be for battlegrounds and the gear is actually going to be worth having then make it worth having to the crafters to make the gear. If everyone can make the gear it will not be profitable and one more point of contention for those who put in the effort.
    Not everyone had ally faction with Ironforge, Coalition of Tradesfolke, etc when AA mirrors, Mannequins and Pedestals came out either and those factions had been around for years. Why should this be treated any differently?
    My two cents worth anyway.
  4. ARCHIVED-CorpseGoddess Guest

Artemiz@The Bazaar wrote:
    If I recall correctly, there was no crafting epic, no multiple factions, no daily missions, no weekly missions...
    In short, if you were doing writs at the point mirrors came in, you should have been at max faction with your city---there was really nothing else to do.
    It's entirely different now. So many places to spend your time and not always having the time to do it if you've got *regular* crafter demands on you. Sometimes grinding faction is a luxury for players, not something they can do whenever they like.
  5. ARCHIVED-Valdaglerion Guest

Streppoch@Guk wrote:
    When mirrors etc came in was after epics, into Rok where we were already working on multiplpe factions (discussions about how unfair it was that split toons of adventure and crafting could faction faster than a pure crafter). Daily and weekly missions came in later with TSO.
    Prioritize and do what you have time for and enjoy the most. That doesnt mean that people who put in more effort shouldnt be rewarded at a higher level. Not everything is for everyone. Just my point of view, you dont have to agree, I just happen to believe that people should be rewarded according to work performed not work intended.
  6. ARCHIVED-CorpseGoddess Guest

Never said they should be, either. My point was that there are so many more options and demands on crafters now that just because someone doesn't have a crafter at max faction with a given group, that does not mean they're not a "serious" crafter.
  7. ARCHIVED-MrWolfie Guest

It would be nice if you made all the recipes on the Far Seas Supply vendor HEIRLOOM, and lose the cost of the token too, since I can barely keep a stock of them with only one mission a week!
  8. ARCHIVED-Ssyxz Guest

Aemm@Splitpaw wrote:
    Do the daily missions too. I have more tokens than I can use, so I stopped doing missions (only 7 level 80 crafters though, maybe I should level up the other two).
  9. ARCHIVED-MrWolfie Guest

Momerath@Lucan DLere wrote:
    You mean the ones which need all the different crafters to do - or take hours?
    I rarely bother with them since if I use all my crafters to complete them, only one of them gets credit.
  10. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

I'm only insulted by the designation that "serious" (or even "most serious") crafters would be at ally with Far Seas. If a serious crafter was seriously spending time (and effort) in other crafting endeavors, they might not be at ally with Far Seas. Heck, what about the crafter who has max faction with all 5 citys' tradeskill societies? Would that crafter not be "serious" if they didn't also have max faction with Far Seas? Would that person not have put in more effort?
    I have no issues whatsoever for -special- recipes to be available with a faction, but to be deemed not a "serious" crafter because I don't have that one faction at max is pretty elitist.
    I have been staying off and out of beta due to RL time and the fact I've been fighting burn out and so want surprises to enrich my game. But.. I had heard rumor of max faction with something (the monger was not sure which) being required to obtain the Esssentials books. Domino's question the day after I heard that rumor was a bit of interesting timing.
    Do I think the basic Battlegrounds gear recipes would be okay at ally with Far Seas? actually, I would see no issue with that actually (and my tailor is rather far from ally) since they are 'special' recipes. Having them at less than ally would, though, make them a lot more accessible while making them still "special".
  11. ARCHIVED-Valdaglerion Guest

Rijacki wrote:
    I agree with this "serious" designation. The only distinction I was making is someone that spends a little time in crafting versus someone that spends considerable time. To be fair, I dont have ally factions in some of the Moors. I did not mean to imply merely that someone without Mara faction is not a serious crafter. I chose to spend my time with the Mara factions because the recipes and items there were more valuable and enjoyable to me.
    Given that, if and when additional items became available for those factions I would not be screaming to make them cheaper because I didnt have ally faction, it would simply be a question of "is the item important enough for me to go grind up faction".
    Hope that clarifies my position some.
  12. ARCHIVED-EQ2Magroo Guest

My personal view is:
    - If "special" recipe books are Heirloom then a faction requirement of "Ally" is not unreasonable.
    - If "special" recipe books are No-Trade, then any faction requirement should be lowered to reflect the fact that you would have to grind that faction 9 times
    There is a need to balance the requirement for players to put some meaningful level of effort in to gaining the rewards (through faction griding), whilst not "punishing" those players who don't have ESP and decided to grind faction on the wrong character(s).
  13. ARCHIVED-xeyda Guest

Adeyia@Antonia Bayle wrote:

Well said.
  14. ARCHIVED-Domino Guest

Let's not read things into careless phrasing that were not intended. I only intended to state my belief that the majority of players who spend a lot of time in crafting content, as opposed to adventuring content, are likely to have at least one alt at ally faction. Nothing about my comment was meant to say that if you don't, there is anything wrong with that or it makes you a less serious crafter. Nor is "most" the same as "all", and nor does earning any faction say anything about the value of how you spend your time, nor was there any intention to imply it does.
    Back to the original topic, the books will be moved to amiable faction, and thanks again for the input. :D There is another set of books for an upgraded set of battlegrounds armor that will require a bit more work to obtain and will be available to tailors and armorers who choose to work for it in the Sentinel's Fate.