Fanning the Flames spell, fabled labs of lord vyemm

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by Sadique, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

I'd hardly call the jewelery from this zone amazing. The only real upgrades for archetypes here jewelery wise is the Tank stuff.
    Charms from last mob are nice, and difficulty of mob reflects that.
    Rest of the Jewelry for classes is useless though. 25% Recovery speed neck? Random bad damage procs? Yeah all pretty bad.

Armor upgrades are 99% equal with the red gem gear.
  2. Estred Well-Known Member

The Jewelry is "eh" to get the best you still run AS and FLoLV. The reason Fanning the Flames was added was because people were 1-2 grouping what was meant to be Raid Content. The zone is not actually any harder if you run a full raid.

4/3 Potent still is comparable with a variance of less than 1% to 1/1 Energized which is supposed to be T2 Raid Armor.

The following is my personal view of Tier Interaction. The term "Supposed" is used as viewed by me not by the Itemization Magna Carta that SOE uses.

- Heroic and T1 Raid are supposed to intermix, you either do a LOT of grouping or you Raid for quicker upgrades. That's the payoff of lower-level Raiding.
    - Rare or hard to obtain Heroic can be very close to T2 Raid or in some slots better than T2 encouraging people again to Group and Raid to get what they want.
    - T3 is better than anything you get via Heroics. Maybe for 2-3 Slots a super amazingly rare drop is comparable (Ethereal Items). If your in T3 Armor/Jewelry there is little reason to Group if you only do so for rewards and not the experience.
    - T4 is the best in game and usually is only gotten by the top 10-20 guilds worldwide. This may have been a bigger number years ago but it's quite small now.
    - Endgame is stuff dropped from the final 2 Bosses in the Expansion and trumps even T4 for it's usefulness. This is stuff like Yael Weapons, Mythical Cloaks of War or the Indestructible Hydra Scale Helmets.

What we have right now is.

T1 is actually worse than Heroic Gear in many slots due to more customization of Heroics. This is the 4 Choices versus 7 Choices argument in addition to the fact that Stat's wise Heroic is better than T1 Raid. This harms the reason to take the Raiding Route.

Gaining T2 is very difficult until now it was only available to Avatar Guilds at a decent rate. Now players may get drops in AS for it or they may pay 400 Etyma, which is a lot of grouping, to get it once they have the T1 item. This is alright.

For those in Heroic Gear they may tackle a quite easy Raid Zone when compared to the T1/T2 Gear Raid zone and get the equivilant of T2 Gear without getting T1 first. This isn't so much an issue since the time invested is prevalent to get 3/3 Potent in the first place for the most part. With Fanning the Flames added AS and FLoLV are about equal though FLoLV is still easier due to the lack of more involved Scripting on encounters.

T3 Gear also known as 0/1 Mystical is available to guilds in Guardian's Edifice or those killing the Fabled Contested Bosses. This beats T2 Gear and T2-Overcharged Potent Gear. So this falls in line with the Armor Progression line. Jewelry from GA is another story, most have oddly worded effects or very roundabout uses that make them lackluster or too situational for use. So most Raiders are using Heroic/T1 Raid Jewelry and not using the items they actually are Raiding for.

T4 is... I don't even have to discuss this we know where it lands. It would be nice if Fabled 3 Princes, a quite challenging encounter had a low-chance to drop a full Mystical Gem (that instantly gives 1/1 Mystical).

TLDR: My opinoins about items aside. FLoLV is about where it should be for the time invested to get Overcharged Potent which is T2 Raid Armor.
  3. Gabriel New Member

fanning the flames isn't suppose to be block-able by any means but we are resisting the effect plus its being stone-skinned..
    i have also tried taking off jewelry to lower my resist.. that didn't help at all lol.. its a luck factor as of right now
    an as far as jewelry goes ToV heroic has better jewelry than the ToV raid zone..... also the only reason i even show up for that zone is for the progression/armor pieces nothing else. The jewelry is craptastic!!
  4. Tubba New Member

You guys are completely missing my point. I am trying to say it is a casual raid zone period. The main items that drop upgrade heroic fabled. Also other then tank items the jewelery is meh at best. Another thing the zone was never 1 groupable because of the drinal style curses unless your 1 group is running 4 healers. In my opinion its not worth doing with a full 4 groups period. Its kinda a waste of raid time.
  5. Gaealiege Active Member

I'm uncertain why you directly quote me then go on to misconstrue what I typed, Error. I said the zone is out of whack for risk versus reward. It is. It's not really a debatable statement. Some of the best jewelry in the game drops in there. Check. And wanting the best items to drop in a zone that is as easy as Fabled Labs is a ridiculous expectation from casuals. They should expect to run ToV for it. Check.

Nowhere did I state that all of the gear in Fabled Labs is amazing. I stated that casuals wanting amazing gear from an easy zone is a ridiculous expectation. In fact, I directly state the casuals don't run that content that gives it, while having the exact same access that everyone has.
  6. Kaofeiyun Member

IMO, the bar was set so low for tank jewrely that the stuff from labs didn't have to really do the high jump to become that great in comparison. Also, I don't see why soe felt the need to put an artificial "difficulty" check with this new, buggy det. The gems upgrade heroic gear, most of the jewelry is outdone by zones you can literally duo. I thought it was a nice addition for more casual players to have a path to upgrade their potent armor. For the most part, the difficulty was about in line with the drops.

If tov guardian eddifice was itemized better for tanks (and priests, when are they going to get stuff that actually is targeted at helping them fulfill their primary role without the silly out of balance trade-off theme the devs are so stuck on in dov?) this wouldn't really be an issue.
  7. Gabriel New Member

well said
  8. Skink New Member

Well.... We have not been having too much trouble with fanning the flames the last couple of weeks and the zone is on the tough side for us. We have only managed to kill him once since they changed that you cant separate the two. We would all see the fanning the flames and see it spread to 22 people but it never did much damage so we assumed it was working as intended before today's fix. That is, if the intention was to make it stop people that can one group this zone. I can't even imagine doing the zone with one group since it takes us awhile to get it done with 4 and we suffer many losses along the way. Tonight, fanning the flames was unavoidable and hit everyone in the raid for 2.5 million dmg.. an instant wipe. We tried to spread out to see if that helped and it didn't help at all. We tried to AE block it as well. So is it now really broken? or working as intended and we just have to figure it out? We are leaving the zone for the night frustrated and confused.
  9. Sylke Well-Known Member

As Skink said, this effect is completely broken now and makes the zone unbeatable, unless the mechanic was completely changed today.

With 19 people in raid, we were constantly getting a message that "Fanning the Flames was spread over 21 targets, the heat from the flames singes your skin!" We dropped all pets (so guaranteed less than 21 targets) and we were still getting this. With more than 21, we got the same message. So, yeah..
  10. Sadique Member

spread across 18 people, hit for 2.2m and wiped everybody but the tanks.
  11. Skink New Member

I wanted to add that the first night you put in fanning the flames we did have one problem when we tried to separate our raid force really far apart to try to beat the lord. We saw fanning the flames only spread to a small portion of the raid (6 people) and it wiped us. We tried again with everyone closer together and it spread to all of us and barely did any damage. maybe the only fix that was really needed was not to make it unavoidable but to just make it zone wide? Now it just seams flat out broken...
  12. konofo Active Member

Yup, does about the same with the full raid:[IMG]

Good luck with all that.

kono
  13. Tabri Well-Known Member

Pulled Vyemn tonight and the entire raid of 24 people stood right under him ae blocking Chaos of Screams instead of trying to joust it because fanning the flames kept wiping our raid, we assumed it was because we were jousting Chaos of Screams and maybe not coming back in fast enough or something? I dont get how your supposed to avoid this maybe we are missing something?
  14. Sogapa Active Member

This definitely seems to be broken now as it is one-shotting the raid. I thought it was supposed to do less damage the more people it hit- but it seems to do full damage no matter how many people it hits.
  15. Rasttan Member

Why didn't they just stick a count check on the named to activate them. This is what happens when people complain. Devs can't apply fast fixes, they don't test them and they just toss them in broken. How about you just pull it out of the zone again and call it good. You have now stuck it in broken 2 times just pull it and go work on something else.
  16. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Count checks don't age well. Next expansion it might be reasonable to run the zone with 12. The expansion after that, it might be reasonable to run the zone with 6. A hardcoded count check just gets irritating at that point. Imagine if you wanted to go back and clear Tox Mound for giggles, something you can 4-man today, and found it took a raid of 20 just to spawn her...

Not that I like Fanning the Flames as a solution... But a raid size check isn't the answer either.
  17. Mermut Well-Known Member

Like Ring War, which people need for a sig quest?
  18. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Thanks. I knew one of the PQ's was blocked that way, I just didn't remember which one it was.

It's not quite the same, but we find the block on the AotG equally annoying. If six people want to wander in just to *see* an avatar fight, and get ROFLStomped for their own amusement, they should be able to...
  19. Rasttan Member

They can pull them out later when the content is old, and Fanning is a count check just a poorly implemented one
  20. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Is there a way to avoid 'fanning the flames' on Pardas Pred? With 24 people it just instant one shotted everyone but those with life saves.