Failed to init Arial - Game not starting

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Desdemonya, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Desdemonya New Member

Hello,

I reinstalled Everquest 2 but it fails running. I reinstalled it about 3-4 times (with disabled anti virus) and tried with normal and full install. It's always the same error saying: "Failed to init Arial. You may need to reboot before some fonts will load"

I am using Windows 10 - 64 bit. Some very old posts say that this is a problem of the "ms office package" which replaces the fonts. I don't have the ms office package. Some solutions pointed to arial downloads which helped some people. I downloaded and reinstalled these fonts but it did not work.

I found out that there is this folder called "Everquest 2\UI\fonts\" - I copied some arial.ttf fonts to this folder and then it said that "Zapf Calligrahpic 801 bold bt" is missing. I downloaded and copied it and now it says again that arial error message.

Then I copied the whole fonts folder from another computer with windows 10 64 bit and reinstalled all fonts on my computer. The same error appears.

Any help is appreciated ...

Charles
  2. Grumpy_Warrior It's a KILT, dang it!

I don't see arial in Everquest 2\UI\fonts\ but I do see it in C:\Windows\fonts. Zapf Calligraphic refers to the file zcal801b.ttf in Everquest 2\UI\fonts\. Try deleting it and let the LaunchPad download it again.
  3. Desdemonya New Member

Deleted it and still says "Failed to ini Arial". It is searching for an arial font. On my system there are all arial fonts. I also copied the arial fonts from a second computer and reinstalled them.

Still not working.
  4. Desdemonya New Member

Used the repair mode from the launcher. Still same error.
  5. Sekhmet New Member

Hi, Desdemonya. Did you solve your problem? Because I've same situation, I tried many ways but still can not play :(
  6. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Sorry you are having this issue - if it's any consolation at all, logging in to both the game and the forums has been flaky all weekend, and could be why your install is failing. I run EQ2 on Win10 64-bit without operating system issues.
  7. Spindle Well-Known Member

OP, which OS are you using? The 'failed to init...' problem was mainly a Vista error. Well, in 2014 it was a Linux error. If you've updated to Win 8 or 10 there may be old cache files hanging around and for some obscure reason an old launcher file is may be looking there.

Hope today's fix helped you. Still, a good reason to clean out any old cache files. Win updates leave tons of superfluous stuff on a pc.
  8. Sekhmet New Member

Hi, I finded solution, proplem is solved :) Thanks everyone for the attention!
    Spindle and Rosyposy like this.
  9. Boghoplit New Member

care to share the solution you found? I have this problem in 2020 =(
    Have tried several things with no luck.
  10. shaunisme Member

Feel free to share solution..../boggle
  11. Dude Well-Known Member

Given that Sekhmet's last activity on these forums was 16 March 2018, they're probably not around.
    Breanna likes this.