Failed to create D3D device

Discussion in 'General Tech Support Questions' started by ARCHIVED-Darkeendragon, Feb 25, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Darkeendragon Guest

Windows 7 home, 4 gigs of ram, AMD Radeon HD 6470M. It is a Dell Laptop 14R series.

When I start up EQ2 the launcher works just fine, but when I click PLAY it loads the mouse and then crashes with a fatal error:

EverQuest II has detected an unrecoverable error and must shutdown.

<verify>
    G:\live\eq2\framework\core\devices\DirectX9RengerDevice.cpp (1996):
    Failed to create D3D device for AMD Radeon HD 6470m
    00c3064a

I have reinstalled DX9 and my video drivers. I have tried in compatability mode and also as administator. Can't seem to get around this. Is this card just not supported? Any ideas or help would be apprciated.
  2. ARCHIVED-Darkeendragon Guest

No one has run into this problem before?
  3. ARCHIVED-Wingrider01 Guest

have you installed the directx runtime to the machine?

If so, post a dxdiag for the video card
  4. ARCHIVED-TSR-MattG Guest

Please do post your dxdiag information here - from the top down to the bottom of the "display" section.
    Bear in mind if you did the full download version of DirectX rather than the web setup, you have to actually run the extracted setup file after you run the downloaded.exe - otherwise you've only extracted the setup files and not actually installed the DX runtime.
  5. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

I've run into the same error, usually what happens with me is I get a DX9render error...it crahses out, and when I try to restart it, I get the D3D error and have to reboot the whole machine before I can play.
    I have Windows XP proffesional, 4 gigs of ram, and my card is a Geforce GTX 550ti.
    I have the latest non-beta drivers for my card, and my DX9 is also up to date.
    this is my Dxdiag:
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1244&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 1024.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1600 x 1000 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: HP LE2201w Wide LCD Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1680,1050
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0013.0681 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 9/23/2012 10:28:00, 4494208 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    VDD: n/a
    Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 9/23/2012 10:28:00, 12557728 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-5104-11CF-1961-0D2000C2CB35}
    Vendor ID: 0x10DE
    Device ID: 0x1244
    SubSys ID: 0x00000000
    Revision ID: 0x00A1
    Revision ID: 0x00A1
    Video Accel:
    Deinterlace Caps: n/a
    Registry: OK
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Not Available
    DDraw Test Result: Not run
    D3D7 Test Result: Not run
    D3D8 Test Result: Not run
    D3D9 Test Result: Not run
  6. ARCHIVED-TSR-AlexS Guest

Rainmare@Oasis wrote:
    You may want to submit a support ticket to our tech team so they can figure out what's going on. Please include your Full Dxdiag and Msinfo so they can expedite the process. Reviewing your current DXdiag, I was not able to find anything that would cause that error message.
  7. ARCHIVED-DarkMageNY Guest

I have a GeForce 8800 with the same exact error, except this only happens in beta. I never get this issue on live. If the issue continues at launch I'll submit a ticket as well. Again no other game does this happen with including current EQ2 up through Skyshrine, only CoE beta.