Experimentation as a whole

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Pixiewrath, Nov 15, 2012.

1. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Tired of watching my items go *poof*.

Gratz to those of you who are finding success.
  2. Tetrol Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly - my internet is so dodgy that while I can perhaps get through one or two experiments, the time it takes to do it means I have a loooonnnngggg lag spike coming along which is the end of that item. I have been known to have to log back on to complete a rush order after total loss of connection.
  3. Prrasha Well-Known Member

Unrest crashed last night. Fortunately, I was just making adornments at the time, so the innate rollback that happens when someone at Sony trips over the power cord prevented me from losing anything other than a minute or so of work.

I hope that rollback was long enough to protect anyone caught late in an experiment (since the item you're experimenting on is removed from your inventory when you start experimenting, and returned when you finish... unlike other crafting where the items are just marked as "in use" during the crafting process, and removed when you finish), since SoE's policy is "loss due to crashes isn't /petitionable".
  4. Prrasha Well-Known Member

Some folks might think this post is relevant to the discussion.
    ...but if you've got this problem with experimenting, your item is toast. You can mash buttons and have them go through, perhaps, but you can't counter events that way.

The amount of data being thrown around in a raid is more than what's happening when experimenting, so I doubt there's a lot of 20-second lag spikes, but even quarter- or half-second "lag spikes" can throw off your counters by having a button press take effect in the next round. (I had that happen a couple times this last week, though I slogged through and saved both items.)
  5. Gonza New Member

Dunno what to say about this Experimentation anymore, one thing that really makes me frustratede is the luck factor that kicks in from 3th to 5th time.
    I been wasting alot of mastercrafted geared the past days in order to figure out what combo is best, but without any succes.

And why is the AA skills we have not being added to the experiments.
  6. Godofthunder New Member

What I have found to work best so far is counter with guide below never just button mash.
    When countering with any of the first 4 buttons as they are set up counter that and then hit 5 and 6.
    When countering 5 and 6 only hit that button no others unless countering an innovation.
    When countering an innovation buttons 1 thru 4 counter then hit 5 and 6.
    When countering a 5 or 6 counter then hit any 2 of first 4.
    hope this simple trick helps out with this I have yet to fail.
  7. Rotherian Well-Known Member

I don't know what, but there is just something about the words "simple trick" that automatically make me wary. :p
  8. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

There have been a lot of "tricks" to experimenting posted. I know what works for me, and posted it in another thread.

The most critical part might simply be NO DISTRACTIONS. Don't have a screaming kid in the background, don't try to multi-task by checking your I-Phone, ignore your facebook alerts.
    Finora and Malchore like this.
  9. Malchore Active Member

I strongly agree with this. I usually have to move myself out of the current voice chat channel into a different (empty) one, or just disconnect altogether.

I made my first Tempered Azure item, and experimented it up to Visionary. So I'm quite proud. THAT was 15 minutes of stress I don't want to re-live.
  10. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

GRATZ!!
  11. Glimmster New Member

Oddest thing I noticed: my experimentation buffs all read "4%, 8%" as in, for example, "Augment: Progress -4%, Durability +4%"
    I assumed this was simply the breaks. After all, from sites like eq2traders and eq2wire etc. I deduce that Experimentation is a "fixed" skill, you cannot enhance or boost it in any way. The buff is the buff, and you just have to work with that.

However! To my surprise, a guildie of mine has shown me *his* buffs all read "5%, 10%"... This is weird to me. We compared AA lines and they're identical. So that can't explain the difference. His crafter is a weaponsmith, I'm a jeweler. We're both lvl 95. As far as I can see, there's NO other differences between us.

How to account for this?

(Apologies beforehand if this question has already been asked. I did scan this thread and the others I found on Experimentation, but it's tbh hard to look with search terms like "buff" or "percentage." So...)
  12. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Do you both have your 'hands of the maker'? that might be it.

Also in your 'skills' tab there is an experimentation 'skill' that probably levels up somehow.

Wonderful all the hidden mechanics in this game isn't it?
  13. Prrasha Well-Known Member

Hand of the maker is +1 (not percent) to experimental progress and nothing else. Experimentation does not need to be skilled up. Everyone should have the same percentages. This sounds like a bug, though most likely a UI display bug.