Experimental gear in Dungeon Maker is the fastest leveling ?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Rutaq, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Avirodar Well-Known Member

Yeah? And? This has nothing to do with the fact that I did not say you used DM in the post you previously quoted, and has nothing to do with the fact that Chelsith had an exploit that SOE fixed.

Are you sure you're not Techa?
  2. Darkmaeve New Member

haha if your from our server you would know Techa doesn't ever solo
  3. Tweedldum New Member

This probably should not have happened, it felt wrong the first time I paid to try it just to see what the fuss was about. I still laugh about how wrong it is while I pl my characters now. I really wasn't going to do this, and I have not seen anything like this in any other MMO's that won't consider this an exploit. But since SOE has chosen to turn a blind eye on it and not deem it an exploit, I'm going to continue leveling my characters this way. It's not right, but I'm not going to be the only person that's left yelling LFG while everybody else uses this...technique, to get to the endgame. I'm tired of being punished for playing right and legit.

SOE likely made a lot of money selling expansions due to this, and it's probably the only reason they've chose to turn a blind eye. But whatever, until SOE says it's wrong, I'm going to go with the flow this time. To those angry at the playerbase, if you really want this stopped or changed, blame the company. Gaming companies should know gamers will eat something like this up. Path to least resistance. If it's there, gamers will abuse it and use it until it's no longer there.

Now the real question is, how are people doing these with 4+ people in the group? When I tried I got creamed. What's the secret?
  4. Estred Well-Known Member

Heck what do you think players did with Cove of Decay or Bloodskull Valley: Maulic's Stronghold? Same thing, nigh infinite waves of enemies to grind XP on. SOE did however put a stop to CoD grinding most "repopping adds" don't give XP anymore because of this. Only way I could see inhibiting this is to make a "density" counter. If a room has more than X mobs in it, they don't grant XP.
  5. Sunrunner New Member

Nah. The easiest way to stop the current DM PL method would be to flag the experiment procs as non-stacking.

I'm not sure it especially matters though.

Assumptions:
    At no more than two levels per run (assuming you whack an experience-giving mob between every run), with runs averaging a handful of minutes, to go from adventurer-20 to adventurer-95 would take roughly four hours. Specific examples will vary, obviously.

Math:
    ( ( 95 - 20 ) / 2 * 3 / 60 ) ) ~ ( ( 95 - 20 ) / 2 * 10 / 60 )
    = 1.875 ~ 6.25

( 6.25 - 1.875 ) / 2 ) + 1.875
    = 4.0625

"Traditional" PL methods take several hours from adventurer-1 to adventurer-95? Halving the time spent to PL any given character to adventurer-95 isn't something I'd label as abusive (or at least no more abusive than the traditional methods).
  6. Seliri Well-Known Member

LMFAO, I love the portrait of Tweedldum as the good guy Greg, the regular worker Joe who's finally been pressured to cut corners.
  7. Rael Member

I couldn't care less how other people are levelling, At one time PL'ing did irk me I guess but after levelling many toons I can kind of understand it for those who have already been there and done that.

The one thing that does annoy me is that I currently want to run DM's, not to level, I don't have 'the gear' or anything. I just want tokens and something different. It is pretty much impossible though, as soon as I enter one I am getting massive lag and frequently booted (this doesn't happen anywhere else).

It does seem that nerfing the xp on other mobs and reducing the areas that people can find to pl effectively is causing more of a problem to my gameplay than any I noticed when people were pl'ing elsewhere (though that's just my experience).
  8. Atan Well-Known Member

This whole thread really doesn't matter.

The only reason to nerf leveling is if they want to sell a leveling token on the marketplace.

If people want to use DM exploits to level up, I really, REALLY don't care. That just means there is a larger pool of players to find a group with tomorrow.
    Guiscard likes this.
  9. Koleg Active Member

fixed for you.
  10. Murfalad Member

I've not had much time to play with the dungeon maker, but since I need some XP on my alts I thought I'd give it a go for a change.

Almost every dungeon was just labelled "XP grind", I tried one and it just had a massive pile of mobs all placed one on top of another that killed me instantly (I guess there is a trick to it). I picked one that wasn't and got part way through before I came into a room full of stacks of mobs on top of each other.

It seems to me that something is seriously out of whack if 20+ mobs on the same spot is the way to go. Perhaps they just give dungeons a XP budget and the designer gets to assign it amoung the mobs? I know it would lessen the popularity of it, but XP grinding doesn't seem like something exciting in gameplay that will be missed (and the dungeons I went into were very badly designed I went into, no imagination at all, yet they were voted decent...).
    Guiscard likes this.
  11. Estred Well-Known Member

I know I personally have at 1 dungeon built that has no more than 10-15 mobs in one room spaced out. Crypt of Shassir if your interested (yes misspelling on Shissar there XD) The other is just a wall of low-dpsing Guardian type mobs... they take too long to kill though to really be worth it and it was more I was lazy.

Those "stacked" dungeons are nothing but XP/Token farm zones that imo are excruciatingly boring and really since everyone seems to have loved Up-Voting them... they mask the new good content without manually entering a diving bell to filter though it all. Just my experience though is anything labeled as "Solo 100+" or contains the word "Grind" is best avoided if you actually want to do a dungeon.

Would rather that kind of XP be put back in normal Dungeons sure people will Grind em... but I certainly would want to choose
    - DM XP-Grind for additionl tokens that can get gear.
    - Find a group (if you can) and do a leveled Dungeon that drops loot.

Sadly for option 2 to be more viable as an option, not a replacement but an option. Loot from old zones would need to be redone partially and XP would have to be increased. If the goal is to make leveling fun and fast, then quick-decent loot and XP for running the content would be a good option. Not saying everyone wants to run Fallen Gate again at lvl 27 but, I certainly don't want to feel like I am only going there for XP and only XP.

The SF re-itemization really should have hit all gear, not just SF/TSO and Mastercraft... there is so much lost to the wind by trivializing the zones Gear. Heck.... that's old news though and probably something posted on the old forums back in SF.
    Murfalad likes this.
  12. Mystfit Well-Known Member

The thing I find the funniest is SJ makes a suggestion that we chime in on whether they should offer a token that grants a max level toon in the marketplace and most people nare allll over how bad that would be. I wonder if any who felt that was wrong, feel this is wrong. Is it *different* cause the playerbase found and is doing it, even if some people spent as much money getting the proper expansion as the token might have been...
  13. Estred Well-Known Member

Ya know that is an awfully good question. I wonder if players defend these types of things over SOE alternatives because of their "market" in doing such. I want options mainly, it is what I feel an MMO is about. Social interaction and options for progressing how we want to where we aspire to.

After all "Free to Play Your Way" implies if you want to PL... then PL. If you want to Quest it up... then Quest it up. To each their own.
    Darkmaeve likes this.
  14. Murfalad Member

I'll have to try some more, as I just feel like a bit of solo running around somewhere new right now, and DM would fit the bill perfectly. I don't mind there being large pulls of mobs here and there, but its just the obvious heap of mobs all on one spot that gets boring very fast.

I've read elsewhere that the two proc's that look (to me at least) to have made it possible to auto kill hundreds of mobs at a time have been fixed, now that's going to make a lot of dungeons unworkable...and the ratings for them out of date too. I'll have a look around again and see if I find some of the good ones.

It would be much better if SOE put in some stats for dungeons, when I'm looking for one I'd like to see how many mobs are inside, if I read a dungeon has 500 I'm going to know then its for some sort of insane grinding, rather then designed for gameplay. At least then I can make the choice on what I want.

Maybe even have a voting system where people have to at the end say if they thought the dungeon was good for XP or just fun (in order to get their reward), some people will abuse it but I'd expect it would give some good information if enough people run it
  15. Avirodar Well-Known Member

"Free to Play Your Way" is nothing more than a gimmicky marketing slogan that SOE's marketing team ran with, when they implemented a heavily restricted trial version of the game. It is what the industry calls Free to Play. Anyone who reads into the term being anything beyond a marketing rhyme, is a sucker. It does not mean SOE is going to automatically make it so players can instantly skip what ever "effort" they deem to be not worth their time, at that particular moment in their lives.

As a company designed to make money, SOE can rely on one thing - Human nature. People are lazy. No matter what people have, they will want more, for less. They will want to get from A to B quicker, and easier. Some of these people will beg SOE to let them pay for the privilege of being lazy, and will keep pushing for more, no matter what they have. And guess what road that leads the game down?
    Seliri likes this.
  16. Estred Well-Known Member

Of course they are reading to much into it. There is some fundamental rightness behind giving players options but yes people are indeed lazy and will take whatever effort they deem not worth it. Really though I agree that a SC-Bauble to level up may no be the "best" idea but it certainly has been suggested. I don't really have anything other than just offering a bit of response to Avirodar there.

Well, good day everyone :)
  17. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Watch for when they nerf this for it to interfere with all experimented gear.

I cannot believe they left this in game this long. The number of "XP" dungeons that are is proof of how used this is.

It is insanely overpowered. I was expecting the nerf today to go live, thank goodness its on test. Leaving this live is proof to me they could care less about the game.

Some of you min maxers may get XP this fast, but the 99% don't come close.
  18. Blambil Active Member

Typical Sony fashion.. Don't fix the broken DM scaling, nerf the otherwise useful-and-not-exploited gear...

(except the procs should have been disabled in PVP from day 1, but that's a no-brainer)
  19. Alenna Well-Known Member

hle was giving an example of why the mechanic fails. if the mob dies as soon as the sk hits how can another toon get on the hate list
  20. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

They nerfed the XP AND the exploit, typical over correction.

Farewell Dungeon Maker, I knew thee well.