Expansions

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by SentinelBasch, Feb 15, 2013.

1. SentinelBasch Active Member

So...I'm thinking about buying an expansion, and I'd like some feedback from other players who have purchased them.

Firstly, though I'm a huge fan of the game, I am disappointed at the cost of Age of Discovery. It is more of an enhancement than an expansion, and is not even the latest expansion, but still costs as much as the latest one. There's not even an option to purchase both of them for a discount, and I think that SOE is losing out on some potential revenue that way, but that's up to them.

Regardless, I'm not willing to pay $180 for two collector edition expansions, but I might be persuaded to buy the collector's version of at least one of them. Are the collectors' editions even worth it? Here are my thoughts, and please share yours as well:

1.) Age of Discovery CE comes with a prestige home, which as I understand it can be claimed by all characters on the account, present and future. I like the concept of each of them having a prestige home, but are there other ways to get them, besides the cash shop? Also, I know a lot of people don't like the Dungeon Finder, but do the extra features from the CE make it more enjoyable?

2.) Chains of Eternity CE comes with a special merc - is it really that special? Is it more powerful than other mercs, or just for novelty? There's the wyvern too, but I would get a special mount with the AoD CE also. The potions and globes don't interest me at all. Also, do you get flying mounts in the game, or would I have to buy one anyway? Are the mounts from the CE's any faster or better in some way, or again just for novelty?

Thanks.
  2. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

The only extra feature from the AoD expansion that I use os the Chardok dungeon layout for Dungeon Maker. If you don't plan on using the Dungeon Maker to actually build dungeons, I'd stick to the CoE collectors edition if you really want to go the CE route. I find that the wolf templar merc is a tad more reliable than the rat healer.
  3. SentinelBasch Active Member

Thanks for responding. What about the prestige homes? From what I've looked at, the only other ways I can get prestige homes are by A.) Buying them from the SC shop (per character), B.) Attending an event, or C.) As a veteran reward. How long do you have to play the game before you can get one as a veteran reward? Is it one per character?

Also, are the CE mounts any faster? Most of the mounts on the cash shop seemed to be the same speed for their categories, but I just wanted to make sure. In LoTRO, the cash shop horses were a little bit faster.

Thanks again.
  4. Rijacki Member

There are some prestige homes available via the LoN game and one as a raid drop item (which I don't know if anyone ever got while that expansion was current). The veteran reward prestige house is one-per-character and is, I think, the seven year reward (or maybe 6).

All mounts are the same speed by type (four types: ground, leaper, sail, and flying). The way some mounts differ is in 'stats' they add (with dropped mounts having more stats) and appearances (which is sometimes only a colour difference).

I have usually gotten the CE for at least one of my two accounts nearly every expansion. Has it been worth it? I now often only claim or use the CE items on just one or possibly two characters, but I no longer play as many hours as I once did. The CE items are no longer quite as unique as they once were.
  5. SentinelBasch Active Member

OK, thanks for that.

I think the collector's editions would be more appealing if they actually came with more useful stuff. In LoTRO's latest expansion, you got 2000 Turbine Points + Another inventory slot + A unique quest line if you bought the collector's. Nothing in either of the current collector's editions seems worth $50 extra.

I'll give it some more thought, though. I really don't have to buy one now, but maybe soon, with as much as I play. Thanks again.
  6. Foretold Well-Known Member

Are you level 90 on any of your toons? I see your pally is 40...

You can't take advantage of the merc in COE CE if you don't have AoD. The mount is nice but its a flying mount and you can't fly until you reach 85 in either adventure or tradeskill level. There is little advantage for you to have COE if you're not level 90. It's a high end content expansion.

AoD has features you can use now - mercs, reforging, beastlords, etc. I currently have an account that does not have AoD and honestly, I miss the features. I'm going to buy it, if it ever goes on sale... The CE prestige house is pretty cool. Again, the mount is a flying mount... but you will get more use out of AoD if you're not level 90.

The vet reward house is 7 years, and it is one per character. Its super huge... I haven't done anything with it yet because just walking in is overwhelming ;)
  7. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

All of the most interesting prestitge homes tend to be on the marketplace for SC. If you're interested in getting a prestige home eventually, it might be cheaper for you in the long run to cash in on a triple SC weekend and then buy one when it goes on sale. This is coming from a prestige home junky. I bought the halfling island and am in the process of putting portals to all of my toons prestige homes on in. It's kinda funny.
  8. Ninjablur New Member

I've been searching online about this for a while now and just thought I would ask in the forum to get a definite answer. When you purchase the collector's edition, are the items you get with the CE all on a per-character basis? I'm interested in the mount but I don't think I would buy the CE unless the flying mounts were given to all my characters. I do like the idea of the Werewolf merc, but I don't think that alone would entice me to buy the CE. I would like a flying mount for all my 85+ chars, I currently only have 2 but plan more to come.
  9. Foretold Well-Known Member

Flying mounts are one per character with the expansion.
  10. Ninjablur New Member

11. SentinelBasch Active Member

It's important to note too, however, that you do get a flying mount in the game from questing. You don't have to buy one with real money unless you choose too - they're just for novelty.