Expanding on the Deity System: Again

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-Mirander_1, Feb 12, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Mirander_1 Guest

Bringing back a post I had made on the 'future expansions' board before it all poofed:

Like the AA system that KoS brought, the deity system added in EoF is something we should expect future expansions to add on to, so I thought a thread on how it could be built on would be a good idea. Here are some ideas I came up with, starting with the two most obvious ones:

• New Gods- Something that is just about guaranteed to happen, with gods like Karana, Bert, Erollisi, a handful of other gods, and dozens of demi-gods, you can be assured that the next expansion will see the return of some of them.

• New Blessings & Miracles- The other obvious one, have the expansion include a new quest for each god that results in a new blessing and miracle set. With the way the Deity questlines are set up, something like this is only likely in an expansion that raises the level cap.

• New Quests- The likely way to obtain any new things in the deity system would be through new quests. New blessings and miracles would likely be gotten from the prophets that currently give out quests, while entirely new things could be gotten from quests given by subordinates of the prophets found in the new expansions.

• Empowerments- The best name I could come up with. These would be similar to the current blessings and miracles, but with a few differences: first, they would be permanent enhancements, and second, because of that, the effect would have to be made much smaller than the blessings/miracles. Examples for, say, Solusek Ro could be things like an increase in fire resists, or the addition of a small about of fire damage to all melee and spell attacks. As for how to obtain them, I'd say through a questline, one quest per ten levels just like the original deity quests, then purchase the empowerment at your altar for a one-time cost.

• Deity-Specific Spells/Combat Arts- Fairly straightforward idea; be able to quest for spells and combat arts only known by followers of your particular god. It would probably be too much work to make unique spells for every single class, so I'd suggest a list of spells for each archetype.

• Epic Weapons Through the Deity System- Unlikely, but something that could be interesting. My idea is that when you get near the level-cap, an option would come up that if you maxxed-out your favor/faction with your god, you would get the option to 'commune' with them at your altar, and your god gives you some sort of holy crusade, which results in getting the epic weapon for that expansion. And to throw out an idea for epic storyline quests in general, I'd like to see something that would these storyline quests and epic weapons more accessible to everyone, while still keeping the very best items for those who raid. The idea is to break the quest into three parts, the first being soloable, the second could be done with a group, and the third requiring a raid. In the first part, you are rewarded with your epic weapon, and in the second and third parts you upgrade it, both statistically and visually to be appropriate for use in a group or raid.
    • Deity Writs- For those who have finished their questlines but don't want to have to go around sacrificing items, create a handful of writ-like quests for each god that results in some favor as a quest reward.
    • Temples- Right now, the gods' prophets are kinda randomly placed; it's like the prophet just dropped down an altar in some random patch of wilderness and waited for followers to show up. I'd like to see the prophets relocated around to logical parts of Faydwer and the old world content, and once there start up Live Events to build or rebuild temples to their gods. Some examples of where these temples could be include:

-Tunare: Eva could either create a temple somewhere deep in Greater Faydark, or she could expand the House of Falling Stars in Kelethin into a full-fledged temple to Growth.

-Brell Serilis: Bronlor start up an excavation of a cavern in the Butcherblock Mountains and build a temple there.

-Solusek Ro: Have Civean go back to the Sol Ro Temple in Lavastorm, drive out the undead, and rebuild the temple (and put a map of the damn thing in the game, while we're at it).

-Innoruuk: Have Xilania lead a coup within the Dismal Rage's Temple of War in Freeport, and reconsecrate it as a temple of Hate (she talked about doing this prior to EoF).

-Rallos Zek: Build a shrine to Zek in the Orcish Wastes

-Cazic Thule: Danak could either take part of the Temple of Cazic Thule (probably the surface area), or he could build a new one somewhere in the Feerrott.

Can't really think of anything for the last two gods. Of course, some of these locations would be difficult to travel to at lower levels to start the deity quests, so they'd probably need to add either something like the griffon towers, or the Lavastorm teleporter to let the newbies get to their prophet.
  2. ARCHIVED-Strums Guest

[p]I cant say how right you are here. [/p][p]Not everyone can obtain the "Uber Weapon of Killing" but by making a set of quest that would make it best for your play style, IE: The solo one would be the best you could get for a soloer, or group one could be the best for someone who groups, and the epic one would be the best that someone could get who raids. This is an excelent idea, and would not just lean twords one particular group of people...it could benifit all[/p]
  3. ARCHIVED-Idouc Guest

[p]Responses to some of these individually: [/p][p] New Gods- Prexus? Hello? He should have a MUCH larger place in the world now that so much of it is covered in water, imho. But other than that, I do expect them to be bringing back a lot more gods, probably Bert and Erollisi in the next one, but that's just my guess.[/p][p] New Blessings and Miracles- Agreed, it will probably only occur if they alter the level cap.[/p][p] New Quests- I almost expect them to start doing this, I just hope they don't restrict it to only adding new quests when the level cap raises. Maybe try making God Armor Sets (Like a Sol Ro set that adds fire damage to spells (even non-fire spells) or even a set of leather for Sol Ro Bruisers/Monks out there (A bit biased on the need for that, but hey, I love Sol Ro, and would join the Ashen Order/Disciples if I could) Make that add fire damage to all attacks, or a reactive fire proc that gives a tiny amount of damage when they dodge an enemy (They move so fast and fluidly that they create flames in their wake).[/p][p] Empowerments- I think the best way to incorporate something like this would be through decent gear quests. (See above)[/p][p] Diety-Specific Spells/Combat Arts- Absolutely great... I think they should have a "feel" of the typical followers of each archtype, though. For example, Bertox Fighter CA's are SK like disease abilities. These would make Diety a very important choice for players, and they could even make the abilities only able to be made by a tradeskiller of the correct diety that's far enough in some progressive quest for them, which would make diety a very important choice for pure crafters (other than just, gimme brell for the bonuses)[/p][p] Epic Weapons- Great idea. I would incorporate them in to the gear sets I mentioned in the quests, making them the final and strongest part of the set. They would have a LOT of potential to add new quests and gear if they made an entire expansion just about diety worship and focused on things like these. This could even be an adventure pack so only people that wanted to worry about it did, but I'm sure someone would complain.[/p][p] Diety Writs- Agreed, but I know they put in sacrificing items for favor for a very good reason.... to filter out some of the useless crap that just drives the market out of wack. It helps to regulate market prices, to a degree, and causes the stuff that gets farmed to all hell to get emptied out of the broker's pool, same thing transmuting is used for. (Transmuting alone may be enough for this though, in my experience at it... I buy BUTTLOADS of treasured gear alone just to make a few decent T7 adornments)[/p][p] Temples- A new approach. Take the alters they have now and work towards churches. These churches would be able to be accessed by most people easy enough (like putting them where the little events were before the expansion). Make the altars in them useable to actually commune with your god there, should you choose (and not just renounce him). Then add the temples in more dangerous locations that are appropriate (Sol Ro in the temple of Sol Ro, but not destroying all the content in there) and make the altars there allow you to commune even better with them. Either recieving a higher bonus to abilities (slightly lower reuse timer on the abilities, the ability to purchase 3 uses instead of just two, stuff like that). Then, as they bring out more expansions, they can add harder to access churches and temples with access to stronger altars (or maybe just ones that effect your miracles differently).[/p]
  4. ARCHIVED-Winter Guest

I really like the idea of deity-granted weapons. If such a thing were implemented, I would recommend that your faction must remain at a certain level to use it. I personally would like to see a minor deity system added - something like a secondary deity that compliments your inital deity selection by further diversifying abilities. Granted, that would easily be a very messy dynamic without some really good well thought out processes.
  5. ARCHIVED-Exarmen Guest

There is only one issue with your placement of some of the followers: they MUST be in EoF so that people are forced to venture into the new expansion areas to come find them. This is the reason that some of them are in truly odd locations. However, I do not think of your suggestions as misplaced, they must simply occur in Faydwer somewhere. Each of the gods whose followers are in Faydwer should have a niche carved out for them which reflects their power and temperament. Tunare & Brell Serillis: Your suggestions are great. Solusek Ro, I would most likely see him in a cave with a lava tube in it (so you could see the fury of fire and, if you're feeling suicidal, die of pain and suffering in Solusek Ro's warm embrace). Innoruuk: Not sure what to do with this guy, actually... Rallos Zek: Put this man up on one side of the battlefield area, right across from... Mithaniel Marr: Put him on the OTHER side of the battlefield area from Rallos Zek and let the two of 'em stare each other down and send hate mail (read, spears & arrows and such) at each other Cazic Thule: Like Solusek Ro, I see this one in a cave but let this one have strange lighting and jungle area. This would have the effect of keeping them in Faydwer (where the designers want to keep them, to my understanding) but making their placement seem more planned and less like they all ran for the nearest corner and started shrieking "MINE!!!"
  6. ARCHIVED-Mirander_1 Guest

Not necessarily. To my knowledge, all the deity questlines have at least one quest that requires going to Faydwer to finish. So even if some of the prophets were moved into Old Antonica, people would still be required to check out the EoF content, at least a little.
  7. ARCHIVED-Nocifer Deathblade Guest

[p]OP is forgetting 1 more item. ;) [/p][p]Diety AA trees. ;) I would wager that next expansion with new set of AAs.[/p][p]KOS = Archtype AA[/p][p]EOF = Class AA[/p][p]?? (maybe ROK version) = Diety AA[/p][p]You only can choose diety tree line that you are worshipping. If you change diety then you would have to respec AA to move to new diety tree to make it works.. I think that is pretty good concept..[/p][p]That way, SK following Inny will be a total different SK from SK following Bertox at lvl 70. I love the idea that KOS, EOF AND new expansion with diety AA will surely make each player more unique. EQ1 SK is same as other EQ1 Sk other than gear cuz AA can be maxed out that is same as other SKs. BORING.. Here with the AA cap per expansion AA set forces SK to be more unique. Love it..[/p]
  8. ARCHIVED-Ookami-san Guest

I do like the idea of Deity weapons... but keep in mind, we don't HAVE to gave specific weapons anymore.... you could just as easily get a deity weapon ADORNMENT, to make your favorite deity weapon special. There are alot of different options now.
  9. ARCHIVED-MirageEIG Guest

I must admit... for once a post that I like a lot - not sure how much the devs read in this section - but I would definitely feedback this stuff! Excellent stuff - creative and fresh. Covers everything from new options to grow your toon (Deity AA) to recurring events to maintain max faction to new super signature quest lines to live events. You should work for SOE... heck you should be an exec with a corner office. And no, I am not being sarcastic.... I honestly enjoyed reading all of these ideas (although we all know new gods will be coming one day :p)
  10. ARCHIVED-Irok100 Guest

All wonderful ideas... definitely would want erollisi to join the crowd .. considering that im a pally played on E-marr on Eq 1 and have the Suffix; "Of Erollisi Marr". I think that they should definitely incorporate some new gear/weapons based on deities
  11. ARCHIVED-Ujina Guest

Give me Bristlebane ! We need a true rogue deity ! :)