Expanded Betrayal Token

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by SteveB, Feb 12, 2019.

1. SteveB Active Member

The Betrayal Token, was introduced in 2015 at a cost of 50 Loyalty Point Tokens. It has the following effects that are applied after you Examine it:
    you may choose to change your deity, your home location, and your class, none of these are required.
    It would be great if you can not only change your class to the direct opposite e.g. Paladin who becomes an SK but expand the class change to e.g. Paladin who can become an Inquisitor or Defiler.
    So please expand the class change opportunities on the Betrayal Token.
    Benefit of DayBreakGames would possibly be more sold Betrayal Tokens and more happy players that would like to change their class without grinding again all achievements.
    Drona likes this.
  2. Flightrisk Well-Known Member

your question betrays a lack of understanding of the classes ,or seems to.
    each class started as a basic type that diverged , then those mid range types diverged again.. In this case, fighter then crusader, to sk's and Pallys , , which diverged them from the guardian/berserker or monk/ bruiser trees ,
    after you were a crusader until level 19 or so you chose your final class, shadow knight or paladin.
    the betrayal system is based on those pairings even though the intervening sub class's have been removed . inquisitors were clerics and defilers were shamans ...whole other classes. which if you want to play them ,by all means have a blast.. when you roll one.
    Breanna likes this.
  3. Drona Well-Known Member

Your reply betrays a lack of understanding of the OP ,or seems to! I am fairly certain the OP knows all the info you posted but still want to ability to chnage to completely different class and the betrayal token is just an means to an end.

Under normal circumstances, I would be against complete class change but lets face it, some classes in EQ2 are completely broken so much so that they are not playable and they don't have the dev resources to fix it. Try speaking to anyone who plays Bruiser or Channeler... I doubt you will have much luck since there are none!

So given this, complete class change is good compromise to the players and to the devs.
  4. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

Actually, I think Flightrisk has a point. Adventure classes are an order of magnitude more complex than tradeskill classes, and even changing tradeskill classes requires you to be de-leveled to 9 (at least it did when I still played). I wouldn't be surprised if there were technical limitations that basically make changing adventure archetypes impossible to implement at this point. You'd have to essentially de-level to 1, wipe most of the character data, and re-level them to whatever they were originally.

I don't think it's a bad idea, I'm just reasonably sure when the topic of being able to change archetypes has come up before, the standard dev response has been "that would be too hard to do, sorry". If achievements are the thing you want to keep, then making achievements account-wide would probably be a more feasible option.
  5. SteveB Active Member

In the end you only have to index to another database tree which is just a reverence link.
    To e honest, it is not that easy, as every software developer knows, but it is also not that much work too.
    It is just the storage needed to save the old references to your old abilities in an archive and refer on the character entity to the new set of tree like Flightrisk mentioned. on top of that just push the AA amount and experience level to it.
    In consequence that also could become the underlying data model because I assume that achievements and ascensions are stored in a totally different data model and are also only referenced to the character id so to say.

Main problem is nowadays, if you played a char for ages, you do not really want to start again from scratch... Mainly because it is a pain for all the faction, achievements, mounts, ascensions etc.
    You only would be ok with whiping your class and subclass trees when you got the option to go back to them like on a current already existing betrayal.
  6. Redlight Well-Known Member

Making it fighter/mage/scout/priest wide shouldn't do any harm. However paladin to inq is a bit weird.
  7. SteveB Active Member

To be honest it is not, if you think on all the cash somebody might spent on asc spells, familiar, spell upgrades etc.
    The cashcow is still there if you can betray for DayBreakGames but it will not be available if they are going to change Asc, Familiar level and achievements to account wide.
  8. Mermut Well-Known Member

One big issue.. the way it currently works, you can use all/most of your gear when you betray.
    If you could swap to anything.. there's a good chance your too would be nearly naked... AND you wouldn't be able to redo any quests, so all the spell class related quest gear would be permanently out of reach

I suppose they could sell a class change potion on the dbc (it's not really a betrayal token considering what the OP wants), but, in that case, how would it be significantly different from a 'boost your character to lvl x' token?
  9. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I have 4 channelers and I love them.
    Pixistik and Dude like this.
  10. Feara Well-Known Member

I would like to see something along the lines of the OP suggestion. I have three Heroic characters that I never play because I tired of their class. I would love to change them. I can't bring myself to delete them because I paid for them. They just stand there bored on my character list screen giving me funny looks. I even caught one flipping me the bird!
  11. Drona Well-Known Member

All the channelers I know say they love the class but they don't play that toon anymore as their main for raids or even heroics. Do you?
    Rosyposy likes this.
  12. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Mine were never my main, my main has always been a troubadour. I play the others as well. I don't stick to an alternating schedule or anything, but usually every different class I have gets a day or two every couple of weeks.
    Siren, Rosyposy and Breanna like this.