Exile from someone who actually knows

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Quantum Leap, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Primaeval Active Member

The population of almost every game decreases from launch as time moves forward. This applies to Nagafen and other PVP servers as well.It was further exacerbated by a series of changed made to EQ2 in general where PVP was either never considered.

If you think that Exile caused the downfall of Nagafen, then I suggest you review the distinction between correlation and causation. I could even suggest that the release of Exile actually slowed the decline on Nagafen and be just as capable of supporting that argument as the counter.
  2. Damoke New Member

Huge difference between someone being PVP'd and being griefed. You should learn to read objectively. When you're done focusing on your needs and start to focus on what needs to be done to help PVP servers as a whole, then you will see how my words are placed. Until then, you will only see what you want to see. No need for me to address you any further, or insult you in any way, you seem to insult yourself quite well.
  3. Primaeval Active Member

I'm not sure that retaining the players who get frustrated by PVP enough to outright quit over it is in the best interest of a PVP server, especially in this case where the counter decision (eliminating Exile) was going to make people who love PVP not want to come back at all.

I agree with your sentiment that we should want new players and old players alike. I would suggest that there are many ways to encourage new player retention that have absolutely nothing to do with Exile being in or not. Overall, however, I have never thought that restricting player choices is a great way to keep them. Most typically, freedom is a good thing in gaming.
  4. Damoke New Member

Read what you're replying to:
    If 200 players leave the server in a month, and 400 new players come in, is that more players on the server, or less?
    Now addressing Why those players left and how to counter that. Well, that is a job for SOE/DBG. Without the millions of exit surveys they have to show proof, I guess any persons statement is simply opinion.

This I can agree, but we are not Naggy and we are not at that point. That's just my opinion.

I'm done here, talk among yourselves.
  5. Peak Nagafun

I hope that all the people who can't handle dying on a PVP server quit. Better yet, I hope they don't even play on the server. The PVE server might be a better place for those players. Actually, they should probably just stay off the Internet in general. Probably too rough of a place.
  6. Damoke New Member

Thanks Lilly, good to see you're back!
  7. Damoke New Member

LOL Same thing people said before. Oops, now just 30 people left fighting each other every day! Some people learn from History, some don't.

"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat!" R.R.
  8. Peak Nagafun

The problem with Nagafen wasn't new people coming to the server, it was all the old players quitting in droves. All the new players that do come to Nagafen (and yes, some actually do) find an empty server. Not because newer players had a hard time before, but because a number of changes that were made in an effort to help PVP actually had a negative impact. A PVP server will never be a hospitable place for someone new to MMOs or to PVP.

If you want to talk about history, why don't we talk about the Exile faction? Keep in mind, Nagafen was BY FAR the most populated server. Even at the height of Exile's popularity, with three raid guilds in Exile, you're still probably looking at maybe 150 players at end game? Maybe less? I wonder how 150 players compares to the numbers of players in the factions.

When we went out and PVP'd, at the height of Nagafen, we were probably outnumbered at times 10, 20, maybe 30 to 1.

Exile was never the most populated faction, and it's pretty safe to say that it still won't be the most populated faction.

Where's your argument when one side (let's say Freeport) becomes the dominant faction? Any new player who decides to start in Qeynos will be in the same situation you're afraid of now. And no one will be able to transfer factions to balance out the population. Whatever population numbers you see is what you'll get. With Exile being in game, the population will adjust. Some people, not all of them, will hop factions when one side is outnumbered. This is only a good thing.

Any argument about an increase of gankers is silly as well. This is a PVP server. I don't need to say anything else on that subject.
    Fetish, Thinwizzy and Naroc like this.
  9. Ardur Duradan Well-Known Member

guys i just wanna hug.

lets make the server hugvhug. Should be some legit sweaty open world hugvhugs if the population is high enough.
    Tituli and Nightmre like this.
  10. Fetish Well-Known Member

Touché. /curtsey

Though division is what makes a PvP server work... If DBG plays their cards right, this server will attract, and more importantly maintain, a ridiculous population. Has anyone who is complaining about the population being divided played one the red servers before the mass exodus due to craptastic game changes ruining PvP? If so, did it ever feel like there weren't enough people in your faction? Despite being "divided" into three factions, we were packed. You could find a group for almost anything at almost any time. Maybe the TL Servers will flop...but it is really hard to believe that anyone who actually played on the red servers during KoS and EoF could argue that having Exile was bad for the those red servers.
    Nightmre likes this.
  11. Fetish Well-Known Member

This isn't about conjecture or objective analysis of someone mentally ************ on semantics. This also isn't about my needs. Nagafen once held the highest population of all EQ2 servers. It did this in spite of it being the epitome and shining example of everything that some people in this thread are trying to denigrate. There was ruthless griefing, respawn camping, **** talking...you could expect to kill, be killed, and be killed again and again and again. Yet despite that...it was the most populated server ever...ever...and yet despite that you are saying things "...need to be done to help PvP servers as a whole". You are correct...but the things that need to be done are to undo all the things that were "done to help PvP servers as a whole". So I'm not sure how it I insult myself by being among those who were there, who remember the perfect storm of PvP that EQ2 accidentally became, and who would love to see the blue paint washed off of it.
  12. Arieneth New Member

Trust me...none of the guilds that are considering going exile were going to spend time showing the ropes to new players. They will be focused on max level pvp and raiding. That would happen regardless of exile so your point is...pointless.
    Fetish likes this.
  13. Bosque Member

I LOVE YOU DREW... WE ALL DO /WINK
  14. Exur Well-Known Member

Many time Exiles are the ones both factions focus on, so it's often Q&FP vs Exile... and when the server was thriving, you had Q vs FP vs Exiles vs Exile. There are many high points in Nagafen's history where an Exile guild's biggest rival was another Exile guild. Heck, even on Nagafen Live last month... Displaced (Exile) vs Bugs (Exile) vs FP vs Q at a mid day warfield. And the very best part of Exile, besides more targets, is you can kill your "friends".

Being Exile doesn't trump you to be the best... there have been many dominate faction guilds that own exile guilds. It's literally just a 3rd faction that can fight within itself. It's a cool/great feature to have on a PvP server.