Exactly who was AOM designed for? (Instance Dfficulty)

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Grainer, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nezette Well-Known Member

... That's the point. They had you do that in the solos. The devs, in their finite wisdom, got together and said, "man, our player base is pretty... something. Lets make them learn how to play." And they plunked mobs in the game that will make ALL players have a bit more responsibility in knowing what their buttons do.

TBH, it's pretty rad that they have enough faith to hope that throwing the baby in the pool will teach the kid to swim.

Like, you think just because someone raids they know how to do this stuff? LOLS! No. It's spelled out to folks in raids OFTEN... it's tiresome, truth be told. People make triggers... RaidHub calls it out... ACT calls it out... some poor person tasked with assisting others with pushing their buttons calls it out...

Like, be more responsible for what you can and should be doing.

If you're new, fine, there are lots of folks willing to help... lots. But, for goodness sake, how do you people justify complaining that it's unreasonable for others to expect you to understand basic mechanics? I can see how me being an ******* affects you... How can you not see how you being completely oblivious and content with being that way may affect me?
    Gaealiege, Wurm and Mizgamer62 like this.
  2. Awkk Well-Known Member

Where did I "admit" to not reading? I said that I had been reading, not that I had not been.

OK, good, Where are they??? So that we can read them and get better? Why do you say you have write ups but you dont post a link?? Is the location of your write ups something else that I ought to automatically know, and save you the trouble of telling me?
  3. Genghes Active Member

I can see where you are coming from... However, your taunt won't steal hate from a good tank. If anything your taunt will increase the tasks hate if your transfer is on them. If the rare occasion happens and you steal hate then you can use that great ability sleight of hand...
    Wirewhisker and Awkk like this.
  4. Malleria Well-Known Member

This again is a huge fallacy. They said they've been playing for four years. Mostly likely during their first year they read the descriptions of their abilities over and over again, to familiarize themselves with what they do. In that first year they probably never had to use Tease. The second year they probably never used it either. Third year.. etc. It's silly to expect everyone to constantly re-read the descriptions of spells that don't change and that they never use. So after all that time of not using the ability, it's not unreasonable to remember it as 'just a taunt'.
  5. Awkk Well-Known Member

I have read all my spells on all my toons. That's how I know it was a taunt. Right? How did I know it was a taunt if I didn't read it? Don't you really just want to insult me for not knowing what dispel means or when to use it?

I've also said that tanks have warned scouts never to steal aggro. No tank ever told me, that in this fight, the mob had too many beneficials, and this is how you can tell...(insert mysterious explanation of how you tell the mobs beneficial effects)
    so in this fight, you need to use a taunt to dispel those beneficial effects.

In this thread, we were told again and again to ask if you don't know. I asked, and in just this one reply out of several of yours, you implied that I dont read my spells, that I don't have experience, that it must be my first time in a zone, and I should ask....and put up with 5 posts of put downs instead of a simple clear explanation of what dispel is and when it should be used, and by the way how do I know what the mobs beneficial effects are?

But hey, never mind all that. Just go on with another 31 pages of how utterly useless other players are, that they don't know this or that, and they ought to ask. And then rake them over the coals if one of them does ask. And then QQ some more about how you can't get good players.
    Maltaros and Malleria like this.
  6. Ucala Well-Known Member

Tease is quite great to use tbh, as someone else said it helps transfer threat to the tank, since swash has hate transfer to their target, not to mention a dispel.

in the Bg/pvp world Tease is OP.
    There really is a reason to use it both in pvp and pve

but yea, having people that play the class know what their spells do is way way too hard, how dare they expect that from us
    Gaealiege and Mizgamer62 like this.
  7. Ucala Well-Known Member

you know what the mobs beneficial effects are by reading those buffs that are under his name when you have him targeted, they should be in squares, kinda just like how you read your own beneficial effects. It's also where you learn how much CC is required to fight the name
    Awkk likes this.
  8. Genghes Active Member

Well how much cc it used to require :)
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  9. Awkk Well-Known Member

Are you talking to me, here? Are you serious if you are?

I asked a question, several of them, because I want to get better, and it began to anger me that I had slogged through some 20 pages of a 30 page thread in which many supposedly good players were bitterly complaining that some other players were not playing the game right. And what I got looks more like a flamewar then an explanation of those terms I asked about!

Like, be more responsible for what you can and should be doing? Like answering legitimate questions without heaping on insults and abuse? Is that something that maybe you can and should be doing?

how do you people justify complaining that it's unreasonable for others to expect you to understand basic mechanics?

"You people"? Who are you calling "you people"? Listen, if someone asks a question about what you consider basic mechanics, and you and your friends launch a flamewar against them for asking, after so many posts saying that there are no stupid questions, and you should just ask... and then you call them "you people" and try to make out like you are the victim after you attack them? Who is being unreasonable, in this situation?

How can you not see how you being completely oblivious and content with being that way may affect me?

How can you not see that launching a flamewar against someone, just for having asked some questions about what you call basic mechanics, affects them? If someone is completely oblivious and content with being that way, it isnt me! I'm trying to learn, here, and you are raging at me for trying to learn and get better, saying that it affects you in some awful way? How, exactly? How are you affected by me asking questions? And do you rage at everyone who asks for help like this?

No wonder it's difficult for players to learn basics mechanics or anything else, if this is what happens when you dare to ask!!!
    Maltaros likes this.
  10. Awkk Well-Known Member

Thank you. Could you please explain a little more about Heroic Opportunities? There was a brief tutorial a long time ago, as a beginner toon, and it seemed to be a script to teach you to use certain Combat Arts in a pattern that would be beneficial to you. Is there more to it than that? You are right, nobody ever talks about them ( or asks for dispels either). Was there once an xpack or zone where they had a more specific use or meaning?
  11. Awkk Well-Known Member

Thank you, that is a good explanation and makes sense! :)
  12. Awkk Well-Known Member

Thank you, I will look for that from now on.
  13. Nezette Well-Known Member

Honestly, I can't tell if you're serious. Because, I truly want to believe that you're being contrary for the sake of being contrary.
    If not, and you really are serious, you might want to start like 5 different threads:
    1) One in the Scout forums, "Please help me swash"
    2) One in Fan SIte News and Announcements, "Please help me navigate wiki, eq2wire, dragons armory, etc"
    3) Two in General, "Please help me set up my UI" and "What are all these windows and what info do I get from them?"
    4) and one in Roleplaying, any topic because you completely had me fooled!

Answering all your questions in this thread would be a complete waste of anyone's time because, if as you've suggested, when someone else comes along seeking these same answers, they're not going to pull up a thread asking who an expac was designed for.

I'll refrain from posting in your threads, if you choose to make them. Most of us are actually really helpful when folks ask at the appropriate times/places. But personally, at this point, I'm not overly interested in helping you.

Good luck!
  14. Ucala Well-Known Member

you push the button that says Heroic Opp to start it, and than you either don't push anything or push the buttons that light up and are blinking (depending on what kind of HO you want to do will determine the order in which you press things and what things you press). although since everyone should be spam clicking stuff, HOs are kinda out of date unless otherwise required.

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Heroic_Opportunities
  15. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

This ^^^
  16. Estred Well-Known Member

This. This drove our Guild Leader mad. Late in ToV before the Guild folded he was to the point of yelling because the same people kept making mistakes. What sucked is because he had "to be fair" he was then forced to yell just as harshly at those who rarely if ever screwed up (myself included). The thing is when literally 1 second of inattention can wipe your raid which in most high content it can (this was Guardians Edifice Wing 2 prior to Dread-scales Addition). I know I've been told that it's weird that I seem to execute scripts before they happen... in other words I am anticipating the need to perform an action to increase my likelihood of successfully performing said action.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  17. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Really solo HO can teach you how to use HO in Sssra temple heroic? Really? When one class has to start it, another to continue and a mage to finish it?
    I am myself a raider. I know what each spell does on my main but throw me on my alt that I hardly play ever to do a complex script of course I can fail at some point b/c I don't remember every ******* spell on my other 5 alts.

I sometimes cannot believe this elitist attitude toward new or more casual players. I am addressing it to Mizgamer62 too. Drop your attitude and start behaving like decent folks. I wonder how you both will feel when you star your dispel half a sec earlier and wipe a whole raid and got yelled at for it? And I am talking about a real raid fight in AoM. You guys need to be on a receiving side of such situation so maybe it will teach you to be more forgiving of a casual player who never raided. I was and I learned how to forgive a hard way. Raid guildies actually more forgiving toward their friends and laught it all off but hardly so toward players who they do not know or their friends.
    Awkk and Wirewhisker like this.
  18. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

First of all we are decent and aren't elitist. His initial post that started all this came across as angry and accusatory. He said that he has played the game for 4 years and that he plays a Swashbuckler. He indicated that he was asked to dispel a mob with Tease and said he thought it was a taunt only. Of course Tease also serves to interrupt and to dispel. What is wrong with hoping that when players join a group or raid they know how to play their class? If you are rusty with a class tell people when you join a group or raid. If you don't know the strategy for a group or raid, tell someone that. We have all been there at one time or another, but if all you are going to do is rage at people when you are asking for their help, then expect the same kind of response in return.
    Gaealiege likes this.
  19. Aranedhel Member

I am curious as to what people consider "basic mechanics", to a casual player (like myself) this means things like: moving, interacting with NPC's (speaking/purchasing), Autoattack, some minimal "special attacks". That being said, I have dabbled in this game for over 4 years, still not sure how my interrupts work(mostly melee types, some scouts), since it doesn't seem to stop the baddies when I want it too, lol. Also not keen on people referring to joust as a tactic in general, since I have yet to see that skill on my 'zerker or BL. I still feel a another layer of acclimation to this scripting would've have been nice, certainly preferable to "dumbing down" any of the existing content.
    Awkk and Wirewhisker like this.
  20. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Just a quick reply to this bit: if it helps, in general when people talk about "jousting" [or yell "JOUST! JOUST! JOUST!" in a group :^) ], they just mean "get away, back up, get out of casting range". It's a standard tactic when a mob is casting or about to cast something that can be avoided by getting out of the way.

[The first time someone yelled this out in group I was confused...but I saw everyone skedaddling away from the mob and took the hint and legged it. Then I quietly sent a tell to a buddy confirming that I did the right thing. :^) ]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.