EverQuest II Roadmap 2022

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

o well moving all our servers to 64-bit servers could be another reason our EQ2 programmers are so busy.
  2. Siren Well-Known Member

And that sounds boring, but will reduce crashes and lag, allowing us to use more than the 4GB RAM 32-bit hell we're trapped in now. :cool: Bring it on!
  3. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Are comma's really coming to the game?
    This wont be a repeat of the suburbs we were promised and never put in will it, or is this just going to be something that you ignore after you say it and don't deliver?
    Morukta and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  4. Praetorian Well-Known Member

You mean this illusion??

[IMG]
    Ayodi and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Good! :D

Uwk
    who'd plotz if the recipes didn't get new volumes every year... ;->
    Breanna likes this.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

LOL! Oh, how quickly they forget...wasn't EQ1 something like 8- or 16-bit for the longest time, and that's why the art there was so klugey? ;->

A technophile buddy of mine asked the fairly rhetorical question: "Why don't the people doing the ads for a game actually make the game themselves? It would look so much better..."

Uwk
    Breanna and Morukta like this.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Commas as in, for decimal points outside of the US? Or just allowing us to use apostrophes and dashes in our house naming conventions again? :-/

And the suburbs may be lost to us forever, sadly; I guess it's too much to just eliminate the bad guys cluttering up the places there now and get our Tier 1 housing back in. :(

Uwk
    who really liked those neighborhoods, at least in the "good guy" towns (Freeport's kind of sucked, frankly, at least the ones I played in; teach me to not play human toons there ["Evil = biased!" "Yep. ;)"])...
    Breanna likes this.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

How do you get that (other than the costumer gobbo)? Is that an ordinary NotD costume you can buy now (well, starting NotD 2021), or you gotta pray to RNGeebus to maybe give you that from the Candy Dish? :)

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

[IMG]

This 100% - what she said. Some ppl don't realise yet just how much of an improvement this is going to be, both on the dev and user side of things. Not only will it fix a bunch of out of memory issues, but it will also allow for better, faster, bigger improvements in the future and it might even help reduce cpu load in certain situations. DX9 has been serving us well so far, but an upgrade to DX11 or 12 could also work wonders for multicore cpu usage and better gpu utilization. For example, right now flora can only be seen up to a certain point, which is painfully clear when questing in zones like the Sinking Sands. Moar ram = more space for improvements in all areas, not just the graphics. Even Everquest 1 is seeing a noticable improvement after going 64-bit. EQ2 is getting bigger, year after year, and going 64-bit is a welcome change. Very, very, very much appreciated! Personally, I am hoping that water refraction makes a comeback, that shadow glitching gets improved and that we get a few graphical upgrades here and there. Heck, maybe interactable / moveable flora makes a comeback one day (was taken out ages go, just like water ripples). Just to name a few - there is so much more though.

Pretty sure everyone has already seen my post here, but if not, feel free to join the discussion:

[IMG]
    Click the picture above and feel free to share your thoughts

64-bit is most definitely a step in the right direction. Doing this is no small undertaking and the fact that both EQ1 and 2 are getting an upgrade of this magnitude, long after their golden years, really is the icing on the cake for me. I'd love to hear some feedback from a dev on the subject DirectX9 vs. DirectX 11/12 and how much a change like this could, theoretically speaking ofc, impact the performance and visual fidelity in EQ2. Anyway, step by step. First we go 64-bit, then we reconquer the world (of Norrath). Mwuahahaaha! *diabolicallaughter*

Love the open and friendly discussion that we have been experiencing with Tobey so far. Kudos.
  10. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I belief this news came from Discord, and we get our upgrade in August.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  11. vlada Active Member

no. July
  12. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Yup, summer time it is. You never know though, maybe they'll squeeze it in a bit earlier seeing how a few folks are having oom issues rn. Seems like it went well for EQ1 after all.
  13. Qual New Member

I don't read from other languages. :( I need a German client again.
  14. That guy. Well-Known Member

Majority of older mmos have already deprecated 32bit clients and dx9/10 in tandem with the change. Unlike all the rest of the mmos though, DBaG has neither the talent nor the resources to get rid of dx9 in the EQ's, so making a 64bit client is a useless endeavor in the long run as anything less than dx11 is now the equivalent of DOS. LotRO managed to keep a dx9 client up while moving to dx11, but that's because the LotRO engine ( while garbage ) isn't the pile of complete garbage EQ2's engine is AND LotRO has a completely different set of developers to manage it. And bringing them in to help would accomplish nothing as even the current devs left on EQ2 don't know how this plate of spaghetti code works outside of the most superficial changes ( their copy/recolor/paste "expansions" keep exposing that ).
  15. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

I feel you. My german friends are unable to join the fun, because they can't speak nor read in English. Old friend of mine wanted to give EQ2 another go, after big blue (Blizz) dropped the ball with WoW recently, but he can't. A real shame localisation had to go. Too bad there is no way to kickstart stuff like this, but then again, who knows how big the interest actually is. The german community was still very active when I took a break from EQ2 many years back, but no idea how it's doing nowadays. Haven't had the chance to check, now that I play exclusively on the US server.

[IMG]

This is an interesting read, can highly recommend it. I agree on the part that it can be frustrating to work with "spaghetti code" that is many years old, and I also understand why it takes time to fix certain things when working under and within certain conditions or boundaries, but I also feel a bit differently when it comes to 64-bit. I do believe that 64-bit is going to be a real game changer / huge improvement for EQ2, even with the DX9 limitations in mind. I also don't feel like EQ2's engine is complete garbage, just a bit outdated and simple at times, but still vastly superior than a bunch of other stuff from that era. From what I've seen so far, I feel like there is some serious cleaning up to do and that would require some serious investment and some serious devtime / manpower. It's worth a serious thought, because it might help revive this old gem. Hm, I said serious a lot. Might be wrong though, not a master software dev nor coder, but I know someone who is (see link in profile): My wife, lol. Gonna ask her about this and see if I can get her to comment.

Interesting topic indeed and would love some official feedback on the DirectX subject someday. *thumbsup*
    Rosyposy and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Bloody hell, I am NOT getting Discord just to get the information I should be getting here. X-P

But thanks for passing it along, Schmett...summer-ish time, apparently, if nothing else. If we do get it early, will it take another 8 hours or so to implement? :-/

Uwk
    Ayodi, Lateana, That guy. and 3 others like this.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Sigh...when The Big Consolidation hit, it shoved everyone in Europe (English and French, French and German, German and Russian, Russian and Ukrainian -- whoops, sorry, forget that last...) into the One Big Happy Family! :D(TM) of Thurgadin and for awhile there, absolutely did away with ANY special character code (even though the much older game EQ1 could apparently handle that with no issues whatsoever, from what I heard); not just funky stuff from French, German, or Russian alphabets (Sebilis in Japan got folded into Antonia Bayle, apparently for geography's sake), but also things like dashes/minus/tilde signs, apostrophes, etc. The folks with Dark Elf names and trying to name our houses something like "Really Cool Awesome House - by Someone'Elsenotme" were right out...and even to this day, when I try to put in a dash in a house name, the game pouts and lets me know in no uncertain terms how horrible I am for even trying it. X-P

I'm gonna keep repeating the rumor/passed along info until someone official shoots me down officially and publicly for it, but here goes: I've known some folks who worked for SOE in the past who'd said that there was a bunch of disaffected programmer employees who wanted the moon, the sun, and the next three inhabited star systems, or they were gonna hold the company hostage to maliciously spaghettified code. "And we're the only ones who can undo it! Ha! Give us what we want or else! :p" SOE's response to this blackmail was, justifiably: "Please let the door hit you in the tuchim [plural of tuchis] on the way out, Richard-heads. We'll deal with it."

Sadly, they've been dealing with it as best they can ever since, SOE/DBG/[whatever it might be in Swedish now]. So, I'm inclined to be a little gentler on the devs and techs about that sort of thing...now, on the rumor about The Dev Who Hated Crafters and the reason why Tier 7 and 8 crafted gear is messed up beyond all reason --

Uwk
    Lateana and Sturmlocke like this.
  18. Morukta The ORIGINAL Micro-Gnome

Here, Here! The 'Official Forums' should be the only official source for game info, period.
    Using/getting Discord to keep up with game-related info should not be necessary.
    The only place other than the forums I trust for up-to-date info on EQ2 is eq2traders.
    Asking players to use Discord is as bad as saying we should use Facebook or Twitter to get relevant game info. Never, ever, ever happening for me.
  19. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I use Discord for the guilds, I am a member in.
    Even so, that in game voice chat works for me, Discord is also a place I can leave written messages to my guild, and so on.
    I don't even know how I would get to that fabled EQ2 discord website.
    I have heard to much about people being expelled for simply disagreeing with whatever official message,
    what, you don't think that what I say is LAW? KICK,!!!!!!!!!!
    Lateana, Rosyposy, That guy. and 3 others like this.
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, scary; I've heard of that, too. :-/

Didn't know that about Discord, that you can leave written messages to guildies on it, but I just usually mail one of the leaders and hope their mailbox isn't full. X-P

If it is, I try one of their alts (someone must have more than 7 other than just me ;->) who's been on more recently than like 8700 days ago. :-/

Uwk
    who just now realized that 8700 days = 23.81930185 years ago, which is before even EQ1 started, I think... --U.
    Rosyposy, Morukta and Breanna like this.